UNC Charlotte Branding

DEAR GOD WHAT ARE WE DOING!!!

look at that list!!!

I haven’t heard of well over half of those and the ones i have heard of didn’t get their recognition for STAMATS!!!

someone do something for this school now.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;197504]Our administration is still too afraid to step out on our own. We’re the 30 year old still living in mom’s basement[/QUOTE]

That pretty much sums it up. Do we really need to waste a quarter of a million dollars on branding study if we aren’t going to make a name change?

WE ARE UNCC-CHARLOTTE!!!

Let’s see. Who knows better? NinerID and the others here who are recent graduates, are new to “real” world of business and politics, never held a position with the University, etc OR David Dunn. Alum, former soccer player, former owner and CEO of multi-million dollar company, more passionate about the school and athletics than anyone I know, served as Vice Chancellor of Alumni Affairs and now is second in command to the Chancellor. I think I’ll side with David. He’s a good friend of mine and I handled operations at his company for 6 years. I know what he’s capable of. He knows what he’s doing and he will get it done.

Let's see. Who knows better? NinerID and the others here who are recent graduates, are new to "real" world of business and politics, never held a position with the University, etc OR David Dunn.

This is exactly the problem!

The administration won’t listen to anyone. Whether it’s a branding company, or its alumni, or its students – the administration is just going to keep covering its ears. No wonder people who care about the university get upset.

Just from a design professional’s standpoint… if the school is paying $250,000 for results like those that company has listed on its website, we have SERIOUS, and I mean SERIOUS problems at UNC Charlotte. Look at the things on that site, then look at www.studiobanks.com. Banks Wilson is a UNC Charlotte alum and almost all of his staff are Charlotte grads. Why would we not hire a company like theirs, and the quality of their work is ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL.

Am I the only one who is completely fed up and flabbergasted right now? Please, this may be a rant coming up, but please just read it for me. This is driving me nuts.

UNC Charlotte is a school, right? It’s not some kind of crazy dictatorship or something in the middle of the free, democratic world, where we have so say in anything and our leaders can ignore us like children, correct? Why is it that we all know that we need to change our name ASAP and get football ASAP, yet no strong proactive movement ever takes place*? We continue to get rediculous and unacceptable replies to questions that need to be seriously considered, yet we, the people, the students and alumni of UNC Charlotte, never seem to seriously discuss measures that may get all this nonsense straightened out. Time, and time, [I]and time[/I], [I][B]and time again[/B][/I] we get this load of crap about how we can’t even consider getting our name changed and we can’t even consider a plan for getting football, yet we don’t seem to conclude that perhaps our leadership is not doing its job.

We all know we need football in the near future.
We all know we need a name change in the near future.
We all know we deserve to be higher than 15th out of 16th on the list of funding for UNC system schools.

Why is it that we don’t discuss getting new leadership? If the system doesn’t work, you don’t just sit there and complain, you get out there and do something about it. Either the UNC system heads are screwing us over, or our leaders arn’t strong enough to get the jobs done that need to be. I’m not talking about a coup here, but just not standing for anymore of this BS. I understand that you have to try and work within the system, but when you do and you still get crap like this (a gross waste of $250,000 and a direct refusal to even consider the name change) at some point you have to decide the system doesn’t work. We can go on and continue trying to work within this system and hope for our leaders to finally do their jobs, or we can take action and get this crap changed ourselves.

I’m not even asking for a football team and a name change tomorrow or years from now, but a simple acknowledgement of the dire need for these changes and a firm commitment to fix them somewhere down the line. I’m not asking to be #1 or even in the top 5 for UNC system funding, but I think our leaders need to take a strong hand with the UNC system leadership and get us the funding we deserve. If they can’t do that, then I think it is a time for change.

What are the alternatives? Honestly, what are the other options that I am missing that make me feel so disenfranchised by our leadership? I don’t want to come across like Che Guevara or something, but I just don’t see another way.

• I realize CFI is a proactive movement but we still are being ignored nearly as much as ever.

I’ll tell david dunn to his face that he is wrong on this, tell me where you want to meet.

The guy is a few years older than me so i think he is able to do more than i can at the moment. You wanna brand the school? lets get football. You wanna brand the school? lets change the name that is set apart. You wanna cause confusion, lets keep things the way they are, say that the way they are is right, then hire a company in Iowa to do our branding hoping to prove they are right.

the people in Iowa don’t know the slightest what it is to grow up in North Carolina, live your life trained to love or hate UNC. Then go to UNC Charlotte, which has programs UNC Chapel hill doesnt have, that i graduated from, and face this crap where people think that i went to a satellite campus of Chapel Hill.

I wouldn’t be so pissed about this if it were done by a company in Charlotte. I wouldn’t be so pissed if i didnt see the lame amount of schools that were on that list. I wouldn’t be so pissed if the university didn’t come off as closed minded. I wouldn’t be so pissed if they didnt at one point say “we can’t study football b/c we want to focus on academics” yet we can spend a quarter of a million on “BRANDING!”

Can i see the poll for this by SGA? can i see the numerous articles on this on nineronline?

How much tuition dollars/student fees/ or our lackluster NC funding went towards this effort???

If you want to ride coattails you will end up smelling like shit.

quit tugging on the rope dude.

The University is doing a fantastic job of keeping alumni who in the future would be giving vast amounts of money (like myself and engineering amigos) from donating anything.

If the school goes at the pace it is now, the only thing that will ever get my money is Athletics, and then itll be just enough to get good BBall seats. I dont want to support a school that doesnt mind being confused with UNC Chapel Hill on a regular basis.

btw- am i the only one wondering what the hell we are doing hiring a company who has a website thats ugly as SHIT? Look at my company’s website, www.devisetek.com and tell me it isn’t 100x better than statmatasd34rsdf or whatever. I know I didnt get a call.

btw- am i the only one wondering what the hell we are doing hiring a company who has a website thats ugly as SHIT? Look at my company's website, [URL=http://www.devisetek.com]www.devisetek.com[/URL] and tell me it isn't 100x better than statmatasd34rsdf or whatever. I know I didnt get a call.
I totally agree man. This is why we need to move on getting new leadership. They have proven themselves unfit.
I totally agree man. This is why we need to move on getting new leadership. They have proven themselves unfit.

I don’t know if its “unfit”, I think Dunn/dubois will do good things for the University.

The fact is we live in a time where there is way more information readily available to people than ever before. Its why politcians are criticized on every little thing, unlike before most things got by w/o many people knowing.

Due to this we are able to learn about where our money is going and isn’t going. I don’t think this makes dunn “unfit” for his position, i just think he is wrong on this issue.

Branding? I feel like a cow! LOL.

no comment

EDIT: No comment suitable for public access. (HBO type violent verbage)

[QUOTE=ninerID;197588]I don’t know if its “unfit”, I think Dunn/dubois will do good things for the University.

The fact is we live in a time where there is way more information readily available to people than ever before. Its why politcians are criticized on every little thing, unlike before most things got by w/o many people knowing.

Due to this we are able to learn about where our money is going and isn’t going. I don’t think this makes dunn “unfit” for his position, i just think he is wrong on this issue.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I’d like to see the name changed. Apparently, the people who deal with this on a daily basis don’t think it’s the right move. Agree or disagree but they’re in a better position to make the call than us. That’s all I’m saying.

The die-hard athletic supporters want the name changed. We sell about 2,500 season tickets for basketball. We’re in the minority. If we sold the place out and gave millions, I could see it.

Someone suggested making a leadership change. The current leadership has only been in place for a year. They’re dealing with the funding issues first and now working on the image.

I agree that the study and website should be done by a companies run by alums.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;197572]Let’s see. Who knows better? NinerID and the others here who are recent graduates, are new to “real” world of business and politics, never held a position with the University, etc OR David Dunn. Alum, former soccer player, former owner and CEO of multi-million dollar company, more passionate about the school and athletics than anyone I know, served as Vice Chancellor of Alumni Affairs and now is second in command to the Chancellor. I think I’ll side with David. He’s a good friend of mine and I handled operations at his company for 6 years. I know what he’s capable of. He knows what he’s doing and he will get it done.[/QUOTE]

yes and friends shouldn’t let friends drink and drive…

of coarse my I don’t mean that literally, but maybe you ought to tell your “good friend” that he is way off base, or better yet maybe he shouldn’t have the keys to the car. Sure he might of had some success in life, but that does not make him right on this subject. AND most importantly just because you know him does not make him right.

No real Niner fan wants to keep the -HYPHEN-

in other ironies…
I changed my sig yesterday- before this thread started
how appropriate

[QUOTE=metro;197594]yes and friends shouldn’t let friends drink and drive…

of coarse my I don’t mean that literally, but maybe you ought to tell your “good friend” that he is way off base, or better yet maybe he shouldn’t have the keys to the car. Sure he might of had some success in life, but that does not make him right on this subject. AND most importantly just because you know him does not make him right.

No real Niner fan wants to keep the -HYPHEN-[/QUOTE]

Don’t you usually preach keep it in the family. Dunn’s calling the shots and he’s one of us.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;197596]Don’t you usually preach keep it in the family. Dunn’s calling the shots and he’s one of us.[/QUOTE]

I give you that, and I respect Dunn’s opinion more than Judy or Dubois.
I was just making the point that your employment nor friendship with someone validates their statement.

[QUOTE=metro;197597]I give you that, and I respect Dunn’s opinion more than Judy or Dubois.
I was just making the point that your employment nor friendship with someone validates their statement.[/QUOTE]

If I didn’t know him and I’m talking about his abilities and past success, I’d be doubting him just like the rest of you. When this community truly gets behind the University, that’s when the name change will happen…just like it did at Memphis State. I don’t think the name change will help with that. I do think football will.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;197600]If I didn’t know him and I’m talking about his abilities and past success, I’d be doubting him just like the rest of you. When this community truly gets behind the University, that’s when the name change will happen…just like it did at Memphis State. I don’t think the name change will help with that. I do think football will.[/QUOTE]

I don’t doubt his abilites or him, I just think its a misfire like Judy’s “fantasy” comment. Someday these administrators will learn to keep quiet about their real thoughts, because its extremely demotivating. It makes it real hard to be emotionally or fiscally supportive of a school that has a losing mentality. I can think of myself and 3 old roomates who all make 6 figures that refuse to give a dime to a program constantly swimming a backstroke. That is where the missing link is. They have no idea how to sell the future or hope we will one day be legit, and urge you to be a part of it.

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;197585]btw- am i the only one wondering what the hell we are doing hiring a company who has a website thats ugly as SHIT? Look at my company’s website, www.devisetek.com and tell me it isn’t 100x better than statmatasd34rsdf or whatever. I know I didnt get a call.[/QUOTE]

Yea man nice website. Good Simple and not too convoluted design. That other site www.stamats.com or what ever looks like someone threw it together in about 10 minutes with FrontPage.