UNC Charlotte Branding

As per 49orbust’s request:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15966427.htm

...proposing a name change is off-limits for a branding and marketing study that will soon get under way.

“To the extent that we are a part of the UNC system and our name reflects it, we believe that we get great brand recognition out of that,” said David Dunn, vice chancellor for university relations and community affairs. “And the fact that we have Charlotte on the other side of UNC we also feel that we get great brand recognition out of that, because Charlotte is known in this region and nationally as a dynamic, growing, fantastic corporate environment.”

The university recently selected Stamats, a Cedar Rapids, Iowa, consulting firm to lead the study. So far, the school has dedicated about $250,000 to the effort.

David Dunn is munching on his own shit. He needs to pull his head out from up there.:moon:

Our administration is still too afraid to step out on our own. We’re the 30 year old still living in mom’s basement

:wow: Wow, I can’t remember a post by uncommon with out a preceeding post by Ken…

the UNC at the front followed by the Charlotte at the end only leads to confusion David.

This comment and the comment that the people who want football are a small majority lead me to not have a lot of faith in David Dunn.

Back to the subject at hand, why are we wasting 250,000 dollars on a survey of branding? Hire a few interns to interview people who show up at basketball games, those are the people who give a crap about the school. Also don’t go into it with a predetermined answer. When you wise up and see that have the appendage of UNC doesn’t define our school at all, please don’t discredit your quarter of a million dollars you spent. Why don’t you take that 1/4 of a million and study football??? We can’t study football b/c “academics come first” but we can waste money on branding.

get a clue

[QUOTE][B]His challenges
[/B]Raising the university’s profile means overcoming longtime perceptions of UNCC as a commuter campus with little academic weight or links to the community. Dunn said he’s the ideal guy to talk about how the school has evolved from when he graduated 25 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Good job. :rolleyes:

Branding? I feel like a cow! LOL.

I see some points very deserving of the Truth Revolution. If anything, I think Charlotte is holding up it’s own end of the table that is the UNC system.We don’t need to leave, but we certainly don’t need it as part of our name to be identified. And I completely agree with your comment ID “Why don’t you take that 1/4 of a million and study football??? We can’t study football b/c “academics come first” but we can waste money on branding.” Very true.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;197509]Branding? I feel like a cow! LOL.[/QUOTE]
I’ll let Uncommon deal with that comment

How do App St, Elizabeth City St, NC St, NC Central, NC A&T, WCU, & WSSU survive?
How do Wintrhrop, SC St, Clemson, Citadel, & Coastal Carolina survive in SC?

It’s useless to “warn” the admin or complain to them of our being confused with other UNC branches. Because if you read between the lines, that’s EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT, they just won’t admit it in these terms. They just keep saying what strong name recognition “UNC” has. It’s over, boys and girls. No name change, no football. Now let’s all be good step-children and go worship at the shrine called crapple hill.

The UNC has been branded. By Chapel Hill. The only thing left to brand is Charlotte.
Thanks for making David Poole look dead-on, administration.

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;197517]The UNC has been branded. By Chapel Hill. The only thing left to brand is Charlotte. Thanks for making David Poole look dead-on, administration.[/QUOTE]

word.

Dunn’s reputation is good, but this pronouncement confuses/irritates me.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;197504]Our administration is still too afraid to step out on our own. We’re the 30 year old still living in mom’s basement[/QUOTE]

This post sums it all up - everyone in our administration should strap on a tampon!

I know I’ve met people on business trips and met friends of friends from all around the United States, when I say I’m a UNCC Alum, they first think CH so I usually say I graduted from Charlotte.

But we will never achieve what UC branding in California…

Although UC Berkeley tries to claim Cal for itself but UC Irvine, San Diego, Berk, LA, Davis stand on their own out there.

If he’s at the games this weekend, perhaps we can set up an intervention. What’s with the teal?
[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/images/charlotte/charlotte/13516/182685201488.jpg][/URL]

Who’s the chick beside him?
Schwing!

I work for a Branding Firm here in Charlotte that does Research like this all the time. Knowing how it all works, it is completely useless to do any research without alternatives (ie:only polling UNC-Charlotte and not UofC) unless you are trying to cover your a** about a decision that was made without prior research. I mean we do research for the largest companies in the WORLD to change their name and come up with new taglines. Ive been a part of 3 or 4 myself since ive been here and believe me…It doesnt cost that much to do what they are set out to do, Especially with only one concept to be tested.

[SIZE=5]THIS IS 250,000 NON FANTASY DOLLARS PEOPLE![/SIZE]

Who's the chick beside him? Schwing!

his daughter

why did we chose a firm in Iowa?

I really love Cha_49er’s post.

why did we chose a firm in Iowa?

I really love Cha_49er’s post.

How dare you doubt the abilities of Stamats!

“Dunn said the overall goal is to raise the school’s profile.”

The school wants to raise its profile, dammit! Take a look at these 2 lists and tell me which option you think will raise the school’s profile more

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams
http://www.stamats.com/results/clientlist.asp

Take your time.

As a side note - I love the reaction of the anti-football crowd when you say that you realize that Division 1AA football will probably lose money (CNN says that for teams that lose money, the average is about 600k a year). You try to argue that the expense is worth it, but they lose their minds and say that it’s not worth doing unless a profit is involved.

Then the school pulls something like this.