UNC Charlotte takes 12 hours to respond to Riots across the street.

I hope I’m not the only one that is deeply disturbed by the fact that UNCC took 12 hours to respond to riots half a mile away. No warnings or public alerts. They took place on Old Concord Road, WT Harris, I85, and the nearby Walmart. The police were using flashbangs and teargas and the rioters destroyed police cars and looted trucks on the highway. This is completely ridicules for the school to handle a situation this way.

Can you explain? In what way was it handled and what should have been done differently in your opinion? A text alert to students is what I inferred but what is it going to say? I’m not trying to be difficult, just not sure what you wanted the school to do.

I receive alerts from campus police about rain storms. The library was evacuated last night because of the riots and an assault riffle armed police officer was at the gate of my apartment complex. The least the University could do is inform students that a riot is taking place nearby and students should stay indoors.

“There’s a riot happening a half mile away…if you’d like to join in the looting.”

I kid, somewhat; but what were you looking for specifically? A text saying what way to and not to go to/leave campus?

Parents and Students were freaking out because many had no idea what was going on. Campus police should have at least put out a release saying to avoid riot areas and reassure students and parents that the school is under control and students are safe. Is that to much to ask?

[quote=“d_whitley, post:5, topic:30542”]Parents and Students were freaking out because many had no idea what was going on. Campus police should have at least put out a release saying to avoid riot areas and reassure students and parents that the school is under control and students are safe. Is that to much to ask?[/quote]I think everyone is an adult and should know to avoid riot areas. We certainly don’t handle everything correct here, but I think this is grasping at straws.

If the school is under control and students are safe, then why should the school bother to notify students of a nonexistent threat?

If, on the other hand, the rioters had turned their attention to the campus… then yes, I’d say it were time to send out a shelter-in-place notification.

Our intern at work that is a student said that there are protests all over campus today and that multiple profesors are canceling classes. Last night’s craziness didnt make it to campus, but apparently there is stuff hapenning there now - all peaceful for the momment.

None of this surprises me. For the most part, the academic environment fosters protests in the way that they should be: peaceful, visible, and non-disruptive.

Also, side note… can we stop referring to what happened last night as a “protest”? We shouldn’t have to differentiate a “peaceful” protest from a “violent” protest.

A protest is peaceful. A riot is not.

My son’s “night class” was cancelled.

None of this surprises me. For the most part, the academic environment fosters protests in the way that they should be: peaceful, visible, and non-disruptive.

Also, side note… can we stop referring to what happened last night as a “protest”? We shouldn’t have to differentiate a “peaceful” protest from a “violent” protest.

A protest is peaceful. A riot is not.[/quote]

yes that last night was not a protest. It was a riot, with car jacking, stealing and arson all thrown in the mix.

A protest is peaceful. A riot is not.[/quote]

Agreed on all counts

My son’s “night class” was cancelled.[/quote]

That was a faculty member’s decision, not the university. Spent all day on campus yesterday and there were events, faculty were encouraged to make the classroom a setting for discussion, but it was very much business as usual yesterday on campus.

I was a bit surprised an alert wasn’t sent, but as it did not encroach on the campus on Tuesday night, I have no doubt that the university closely monitored the situation and was ready to act if needed.

clt is not aware of any riots. what is happening?

Which one of you broke the windows out at the Disturber building? I cannot endorse, but I understand…

So Judy was out talking to students??

clt says he is a 49er

[quote=“cltniners, post:18, topic:30542”]http://www.businessinsider.com/toussaint-romain-charlotte-protest-public-defender-inspirational-message-2016-9?utm_content=buffer0eae2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

clt says he is a 49er[/quote]

Sure is. He ran track during his time as a 49er.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:19, topic:30542”][quote=“cltniners, post:18, topic:30542”]http://www.businessinsider.com/toussaint-romain-charlotte-protest-public-defender-inspirational-message-2016-9?utm_content=buffer0eae2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

clt says he is a 49er[/quote]

Sure is. He ran track during his time as a 49er.[/quote]

clt anticipates the media listing he and the CMPD chief as UNC CHeat grads.