UNC Hickory?

I’m originally from Hickory so I found this article interesting.

http://www.hickoryrecord.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=HDR%2FMGArticle%2FHDR_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173352893400&path=!news!localnews

Wonder who will be the first one to get football now?

This is more proof that we need to drop the UNC. It will be given to Hickory to help their recognition, because they are a start up school. We don’t need it, we have broken out of the “shell”.

As for UNC Hickory, I think it is a dumb idea. I am from Catawba County, and I don’t think it is a great idea.

• There are too many public universities as it is.
  • UNC Charlotte, App, UNCA are all within easy driving distance and those programs do not get attention they deserve. If the Triangle wants to spend money on the western part of the state, then it needs to take care of what it already has.
    -What would they teach that couldn’t be provided at another school. I guess they could specialize in Spanish and 1988 Honda Civic modifications?

I thought this was a joke. As if profiling a crappy town like Pembroke was not enough, here comes Hickory? Charlotte is cool, so is Wilmington, Asheville and even Greensboro. But Hickory?

crazy…

What’s next? UNC-Gastonia? UNC-Statesville? UNC-Monroe? UNC-Morganton?

We need a name change ASAP! It was ok in our early years (back when old farts like HP and Run were there), but that was then… and this is now.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;260200]What’s next? UNC-Gastonia? UNC-Statesville? UNC-Monroe? UNC-Morganton?

We need a name change ASAP! It was ok in our early years (back when old farts like HP and Run were there), but that was then… and this is now.[/QUOTE]

QFT

Time to move move out of the parents basement Dr. Phil.

This system confuses me. It just denied a UNC school in Rocky Mt and is now thinking of creating one if Hickory?

I think there may be a little more justification for a state university in Hickory than Rocky Mount. The Hickory Metro area is the forth-largest metropolitan area in North Carolina (120th in US) combine that with a lower than average percentage of residence with college degrees and there may be a case to start a school. Also, if you read the article I posted it would only begin as satellite campus of Appalachian State. Who knows you may see Charlotte do the same thing and develop a satellite campus in a near by city in the next 10 years.

http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t3/tab03.txt

Of course people see a need for a university at Hickory.

No one knows we exist!

I don’t think Hickory needs a school. My parents went to LR, & my Dad said the state would love to have them, but they want to stay independent.
I have a friend in Lincoln Co., he said they had a County Commission Candidate recommend UNC Lincolnton about 5 years ago, but the people voted him down because they knew they weren’t ready. UNCH isn’t that far from Lincolnton, & we have 16 schools, that’s plenty.
This is almost as dumb as the UNC-Rocky Mount idea.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;260200]What’s next? UNC-Gastonia?

[/QUOTE]

That would be UNCD (Dallas), Harvard by the Highway, Princeton by the Parking Lot, otherwise known as Gaston College. Representing the GasHouse! Hollar!!:lmao:

CVCC is sometimes called Harvard on the Highway, however my favorite is

South
Hickory
Institute of
Technology

Makes me think of Accepted.

Great movie.

When I went to Statesville High School we called Mitchell Community College, MIT (Mitchell In Town.)

What I don’t understand is the NC Research Campus in Kannapolis. It’s in our backyard, we should claim it.
UNC, Duke, NCSU, etc. have Research Centers all over the state. All three & UNCW have something in the Beaufort/Atlantic City/Morehead City area.
Why isn’t the NC Research Center, the UNC Charlotte Research Center? It should just be a 2nd campus of what is already the University Research Area a couple miles from the school off of Harris Blvd.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;260316]What I don’t understand is the NC Research Campus in Kannapolis. It’s in our backyard, we should claim it.
UNC, Duke, NCSU, etc. have Research Centers all over the state. All three & UNCW have something in the Beaufort/Atlantic City/Morehead City area.
Why isn’t the NC Research Center, the UNC Charlotte Research Center? It should just be a 2nd campus of what is already the University Research Area a couple miles from the school off of Harris Blvd.[/QUOTE]

clt says the ncrc really is a campus for the universities in the state. unc charlotte is going to benefit the most from having the ncrc near by. our bioinformatics program is top ten world wide and will likely improve to top 3 bc of the ncrc.

clt asks why unc hickory wont be called app-hickory?

I still say NCRC is ours.
And if UNC-H is affiliated w/ App, it should be ASU-H.

CPCC- Is also known as UCLA- Univeristy of Charlotte 'Lizbeth Avenue

UNC-Hickory is a dumb idea

While we’re at it, maybe I should lobby for UNC-Pineville, w/ myself as Chancellor.