unc trouble & name change

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-06/unc-athletic-scandal-charges-of-fraud-could-be-tip-of-wider-revelations#r=lr-sr

In reference to above link, now is an opportune time to push for a name change and remove the unc from our prefix

Won’t happen while Dubois is here. It’s an issue for our next Chancellor.

[quote=“2k, post:2, topic:28514”]Won’t happen while Dubois is here. It’s an issue for our next Chancellor.[/quote]Don’t think he’s the roadblock that he used to be when it comes to this.

What we’re lacking is a strong student organized push. Only way things change at Charlotte.

If we have a grassroots movement like for FB, he won’t have a choice.

[quote=“J Felt, post:3, topic:28514”][quote=“2k, post:2, topic:28514”]Won’t happen while Dubois is here. It’s an issue for our next Chancellor.[/quote]Don’t think he’s the roadblock that he used to be when it comes to this.

What we’re lacking is a strong student organized push. Only way things change at Charlotte.[/quote]

This.

Dubois said he wouldn’t look at football either. However, overwhelming student support, along with the grass roots community effort, made him take a look at football. Same thing can happen with the name change if it gets the same support. Problem is, most outside of this message board don’t care or worse, like the confusion.

[quote=“LoyalNiner, post:5, topic:28514”][quote=“J Felt, post:3, topic:28514”][quote=“2k, post:2, topic:28514”]Won’t happen while Dubois is here. It’s an issue for our next Chancellor.[/quote]Don’t think he’s the roadblock that he used to be when it comes to this.

What we’re lacking is a strong student organized push. Only way things change at Charlotte.[/quote]

This.

Dubois said he wouldn’t look at football either. However, overwhelming student support, along with the grass roots community effort, made him take a look at football. Same thing can happen with the name change if it gets the same support. Problem is, most outside of this message board don’t care or worse, like the confusion.[/quote]
Also curious to know how many of our academic donors would not want the name change. I would be willing to start ponying up money towards the university (rather than just for athletics), if they changed the name. Others that currently give for academics might threaten to quit donating. As difficult as it was to get football going, this hurdle might be even higher to get over because there is more support for the opposition. I hope I live to see the name change happen.

[quote=“LoyalNiner, post:5, topic:28514”][quote=“J Felt, post:3, topic:28514”][quote=“2k, post:2, topic:28514”]Won’t happen while Dubois is here. It’s an issue for our next Chancellor.[/quote]Don’t think he’s the roadblock that he used to be when it comes to this.

This.

Dubois said he wouldn’t look at football either. However, overwhelming student support, along with the grass roots community effort, made him take a look at football. Same thing can happen with the name change if it gets the same support. Problem is, most outside of this message board don’t care or worse, like the confusion.[/quote]
I think a lot of students would get on board with a name change. The most uninterested Niners seem to support it.

Just have to get something organized, I think the rest would fall into place.

[quote=“Ninerfan2012, post:7, topic:28514”][quote=“LoyalNiner, post:5, topic:28514”][quote=“J Felt, post:3, topic:28514”][quote=“2k, post:2, topic:28514”]Won’t happen while Dubois is here. It’s an issue for our next Chancellor.[/quote]Don’t think he’s the roadblock that he used to be when it comes to this.

This.

I think a lot of students would get on board with a name change. The most uninterested Niners seem to support it.

Just have to get something organized, I think the rest would fall into place.[/quote]

The student vote on this was pretty close to 50/50 as I recall, nowhere near the landslide that football was. There are also A LOT of alums who may not be athletic supporters who are very opposed to a name change.

As much as student support is important, a name change movement must include certain key individuals on the board of trustees from the outset. This issue is a much different animal when compared to football. The need for the name change is not as directly apparent to the best interest of the university. The issue is unique to our university whereas just about every school contemplates whether or not to maintain a football program.

More importantly, the core advocacy group that initiates the name change drive should CAREFULLY design a campaign to “bring along” people that are indifferent on the subject and win their support long before any vote is taken.

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:8, topic:28514”][quote=“Ninerfan2012, post:7, topic:28514”][quote=“LoyalNiner, post:5, topic:28514”][quote=“J Felt, post:3, topic:28514”][quote=“2k, post:2, topic:28514”]Won’t happen while Dubois is here. It’s an issue for our next Chancellor.[/quote]Don’t think he’s the roadblock that he used to be when it comes to this.

This.

Just have to get something organized, I think the rest would fall into place.[/quote]

The student vote on this was pretty close to 50/50 as I recall, nowhere near the landslide that football was. There are also A LOT of alums who may not be athletic supporters who are very opposed to a name change.[/quote]
How long ago was the vote?

[quote=“X-49er, post:6, topic:28514”][quote=“LoyalNiner, post:5, topic:28514”][quote=“J Felt, post:3, topic:28514”][quote=“2k, post:2, topic:28514”]Won’t happen while Dubois is here. It’s an issue for our next Chancellor.[/quote]Don’t think he’s the roadblock that he used to be when it comes to this.

This.

Also curious to know how many of our academic donors would not want the name change. I would be willing to start ponying up money towards the university (rather than just for athletics), if they changed the name. Others that currently give for academics might threaten to quit donating. As difficult as it was to get football going, this hurdle might be even higher to get over because there is more support for the opposition. I hope I live to see the name change happen.[/quote]
Whenever I receive a call from the University asking for academic financial support, I respond that I give to the Athletic Department because of the Charlotte branding and will only consider giving academic financial support if the University will change the name and drop UNC from the prefix. Then I explain that I am tired of other Universities getting credit for our accomplishments because of name confusion.

[quote=“NinerNirvana, post:9, topic:28514”]As much as student support is important, a name change movement must include certain key individuals on the board of trustees from the outset. This issue is a much different animal when compared to football. The need for the name change is not as directly apparent to the best interest of the university. The issue is unique to our university whereas just about every school contemplates whether or not to maintain a football program.

More importantly, the core advocacy group that initiates the name change drive should CAREFULLY design a campaign to “bring along” people that are indifferent on the subject and win their support long before any vote is taken.[/quote]

I believe you are on the right track. If the effort becomes one of just getting rid of the “UNC” it does not have a chance. It needs to be a positive change to align the name with what the university is today, and underscore that we do want to move away from the “directional school” connotation and stand on our own merits.

[quote=“49erCC, post:11, topic:28514”][quote=“X-49er, post:6, topic:28514”][quote=“LoyalNiner, post:5, topic:28514”][quote=“J Felt, post:3, topic:28514”][quote=“2k, post:2, topic:28514”]Won’t happen while Dubois is here. It’s an issue for our next Chancellor.[/quote]Don’t think he’s the roadblock that he used to be when it comes to this.

This.

Also curious to know how many of our academic donors would not want the name change. I would be willing to start ponying up money towards the university (rather than just for athletics), if they changed the name. Others that currently give for academics might threaten to quit donating. As difficult as it was to get football going, this hurdle might be even higher to get over because there is more support for the opposition. I hope I live to see the name change happen.[/quote]
Whenever I receive a call from the University asking for academic financial support, I respond that I give to the Athletic Department because of the Charlotte branding and will only consider giving academic financial support if the University will change the name and drop UNC from the prefix. Then I explain that I am tired of other Universities getting credit for our accomplishments because of name confusion.[/quote]
I like your style, and salute your effort.
I don’t even answer the phone anymore when they call thanks to caller ID. They don’t even find it important enough to leave me a message, anyway. I don’t have the time or energy to get into a discussion with a hired campaign caller who likely doesn’t care about my opinion in the first place.

This. It needs be more focused on selling the university as Charlotte’s university.

clt says we r Charlotte

[quote=“NinerNirvana, post:9, topic:28514”]As much as student support is important, a name change movement must include certain key individuals on the board of trustees from the outset. This issue is a much different animal when compared to football. The need for the name change is not as directly apparent to the best interest of the university. The issue is unique to our university whereas just about every school contemplates whether or not to maintain a football program.

More importantly, the core advocacy group that initiates the name change drive should CAREFULLY design a campaign to “bring along” people that are indifferent on the subject and win their support long before any vote is taken.[/quote]

I get what you are saying. But the only way it’s not “directly apparent” is if you value reaping the benefits of someone else’s name recognition rather than creating your own.

Have a contest. Get the most signatures on the petition, & win a ride in the Normbulance.

So how do U of Ohio-Cincy Bearcats, U of Tenn-Memphis Tigers, & U of Kentucky-Louisville Cards handle this?

Don’t leave out Memphis, Clemson, Temple, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Stonybrook, and UNC Raleigh NC State.

As much as Judy gets bashed on this board, and rightfully so, (my biggest gripe with her is not publicly fighting the good fight for football many years ago) the one thing that I will ALWAYS give her credit for is spearheading the official athletic’s name from “UNCC” to simply “Charlotte” in 2000. It’s just like she said back then when I was a freshman, in her words, “We are tired of being confused with other institutions or having our own identity misused and misconstrued.” Some folks might see the sports name change as insignificant, but in my eyes, it was absolutely beyond huge, especially as we work toward the name, “University of Charlotte”. I mean, just imagine a dark cold world where our sports teams are still known as “UNCC” today. I think all momentum for a university name change would be dead in the water, even after Dubois is finally replaced.

Obviously sports is a huge advertisement of sorts in itself for universities, and I love our “Charlotte” brand spreading. To the point where some outsiders, on a smaller scale, accidentally refer to our school already as, University of Charlotte. Now with that said, yes, it’s OBVIOUS to most of us that it’s well past time for both Judy and Phil to bow out and step aside for new blood with new passions. Until then, it unfortunately seems we’re all sitting on our hands, riding it out. It’s funny because, from what I gather, the big wigs from Chapel Hill don’t even have any objections of us changing the university name. Go figure. We have many hurdles, but we can probably all agree the biggest hurdle seems to be Phil Dubois… Also with Phil out, maybe we can finally begin again to campaign for a medical school as well. (But that’s a whole 'nother issue, because Chapel Hill ain’t trying to hear that!) Point is, thank you Mrs. Rose for the “Charlotte” 49ers…