UNCA Home Game 12-3-19 7:00 Tip

OK, you have convinced me. It is too early to give up on this team. Still, an honest assessment is that we got out-coached, out-played and Asheville wanted it more. Why don’t we attack the basket from somewhere along the lane? If you are going to come in from the baseline every time they are going to catch on. Another hint: #22 is going to shoot the long three and hit it. Guard him.

Asheville should sell out every home game The are super energetic, fun to watch, shoot well, rebound bigger than their size and want to win.

they’re 4-2 but 2 of those wins were against non-d1 teams so i dont think he john wooden yet.

I just corrected as you posted this.

Ditto to what’s above. And three 3s ain’t gonna do it. And it didn’t. If anyone had told me before the season we’d beat davidson and wake back to back, and lose to app, asheville, jmu, and ga st in such a pathetic way, I would NOT have believed it. But, HERE we are.

1 Like

I have to comment on the Shaka Smart model of coaching. I know people say the refs can’t call every foul.
What I would like to know is why every foul can’t be called. If I hit you over the head with a hammer a couple hundred times is it OK part of the time because, you know, I can’t be arrested for assault EVERY time I do it.
If teams gain an advantage by constantly fouling, then the logical conclusion is that every team should constantly foul to even the playing field. That’d make basketball a pretty f’cked up sport.
Refs need to nut up and put a stop to it, but, of course, that is not going to happen.

2 Likes

Totally agree with the foul calling in this one. No way you are allowed to bump and reach across and rake the arms of the offensive player. UNCA did it on almost every possession. It is also up to our coaches and players to adjust and we did not. Bad loss. UNCA is not a bad team but we made them look like the Warriors (of the last few years, not this year).

1 Like

This loss sucks even more since we go to a fairly decent UNCW game on the road, and we know we haven’t shown any ability to perform on the road yet. I really didn’t see us losing this one. Not sure how we are this inconsistent. A lot of people claim youth, but we’re not getting majority minutes from freshmen and sophomores. Another example is lack of time playing together, but that’s basically D1 basketball these days with all the transfers and early draft exits.

To me, our amount of inconsistency is becoming a bit alarming.

Our starting 5 consists of 3 transfers that combined, averaged about 11 ppg in their best years prior to coming here, a freshman, and Martin. We have Robb, another freshman, and Supica primarily off the bench. I hate to break it to you guys, but I am seeing a group of overachievers at this point. Supica and Vasic (forgot him) is the only letdown in my opinion. We need to keep recruiting and developing players as we don’t have the talent that we need yet. We are better than last season, but we are not a contender in CUSA this season.

I literally walked out before the first stoppage of the second half.

I swear we had several passes to players not even looking…several were contested passes to players less than 5 ft away with no angle or reason to even attempt such a close pass… A ton of passes to tightly guarded players around the perimeter just inviting break away steals.
Not sure how many of the 22 tos I witnessed but I’d say at least 6 were grade school bad turnovers. Careless isn’t even the right word. Unfathomable & unimaginable turnovers for any gender of player with at least highschool experience.

I am at a total loss for what I just witnessed.

We literally looked like a hyperexaggerrated version of the first game in Hoosiers where coach forced them to make 4 passes before taking a shot. Just standing around…passing just to pass. But it was like they were told to make 36 passes before taking a shot…and that shot must be contested and at the buzzer of the shot clock expiring if possible.

1 Like

Our offensive flow has gone from great movement to little movement and I don’t understand it. Even in games we lost, our movement was there. Not sure what’s going on but tonight was rough to watch.

In the App & Asheville games the team looked like it was a foregone conclusion that we would win just for showing up. When they realized that they were actually going to have to play to win they seemed to panick in both games. To me that looks like a lack of preparation & that comes from the coaching staff. There also seems to be no energy when we get down & as others have said the body language is terrible. If it hadn’t been for Robb last night we would have lost by 20 to Asheville. Yeah our team hasn’t played together long & has some young players but Asheville & App are in similar positions & they looked much more prepared to play. Heck App runs the same offensivee & defensive scheme that we are supposed to be playing & they did it better under a first year coach than we have in year 2. So very frustrating to not see any progress at this point. Honestly feels like we are regressing.

Their constant ball pressure eliminated us from running much of an offense in this game. It made Young look like a freshman. There are a lot of people here that look like we are in a crisis or something. This team still does not have the talent to win consistently against another D1 team regardless of the name on the shirt. We are still not a good team. How do you guys expect us to take players that couldn’t see the floor much at other D1 schools and win against D1 schools? Edwards looks like our best player many nights and he averaged around 3 ppg in his career. This team is another stop gap team until RS build up his freshmen classes.

With this type of team you will have big wins and big losses. The only way to get through it is to enjoy the wins and not get in the dumps with the lows. Sanchez has been down this road with other teams before as an assistant. I am not worried as his coaching is solid and his recruiting is great for our conference. He said last week that the kids are too unselfish at times. They give up too many open shots. This tells me it is more on the kids than him giving them a pass count. They will work it out against another opponent and you guys can go back to saying we are top tier CUSA school again.

Yay. I’m going to the Wilmington game. Fortunately we are staying three nights on Wrightsville beach to make up for whatever unfortunate event that may occur Saturday afternoon. :ocean::sunny:

Team - Campus Elevation - Result
JMU - 1325’ - Loss
Davidson - 840’ - Win
Wake Forest - 970’ - Win
Apple State - 3333’ - Loss
GA State - 1050’ - Loss
USC Upstate - 807’ - Win
UNC Asheville - 2134’ - Loss

Clearly when we play a team who’s campus is over 1000’ above sea level we lose. Wilmington is 30’, so we will win.

defense is about effort and commitment. the kids need to understand when the shots are not falling, it’s the only thing to keep you in games. with the team we have now, it’s the only way we will win. with the personnel we have, we are not going to come from behind.

when we made the run to take the lead, it was all about defense. we made that run bc of defense so i know the team is capable of it but they were not focused last night, which is on sanchez and the players. they need to take a look in the mirror and reassess their effort levels.

Actually we have come from behind and did last night. Only to fall off again.