UNCC Touted as tourist lure

My one donation to this thread…

Football = Tourist destination
Football = Increased school spirit
Football = Activity on campus
Football = Student parties
Football = More fun

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;177564]If they’d slack off the rules a little bit, and let people drink out at events and stuff, and get the word out better, people would stick around more. Instead we have the police trying to nit pick every little thing. I once got a drinking ticket…[/QUOTE]

I doubt you want to hear this and I know things have changed, but I actually occassionally took a beer or 2 to a couple of my classes (had to be ok with the professor). We could have get-togethers with kegs of beer any time we wanted to. Each “house” (2 floors) in the 4 high rise dorms had an allowance for activities and it was usually spent purchasing beer for open parties. Once the money was gone, there was nothing wrong with having people chip in or accepting a dollar “donation” from everyone for another party.

It was ok to carry alcohol (even open) around campus with you.

I doubt you want to hear this and I know things have changed, but I actually occassionally took a beer or 2 to a couple of my classes (had to be ok with the professor). We could have get-togethers with kegs of beer any time we wanted to. Each "house" (2 floors) in the 4 high rise dorms had an allowance for activities and it was usually spent purchasing beer for open parties. Once the money was gone, there was nothing wrong with having people chip in or accepting a dollar "donation" from everyone for another party.

Yea Over, I heard one could really stretch the rules back in the 1840’s… :smile:

Oh damn, now that will burn…

[QUOTE=Powerbait;177529]

The Lit/Garbage fiasco was the last straw.

[/QUOTE]

Bwahahaha. Was I the only one at this concert. It was an amusing time, to say the least!

Didn't the SGA spend the $30,000 "concert/entertainment fund" on the spirit banners now displayed on the light posts around campus?

I believe this is what happened and that this is why there have not been any concerts the past year.

If this is true, then that pisses me off. Last year they had Muse in Halton arena. Muse is a really great band. More of a European act with less publicity in the states, but they kick ass. I was hoping we’d have another show this year. God knows the school needs more cool stuff for the students to do. We really need to get more good shows on campus. We should have 1 good show and maybe 2 smaller bands a semester. That would be so much fun and make campus life a hell of a whole lot less dull. That would be one more step to getting kids not to leave on the weekends.

I doubt you want to hear this and I know things have changed, but I actually occassionally took a beer or 2 to a couple of my classes (had to be ok with the professor). We could have get-togethers with kegs of beer any time we wanted to. Each "house" (2 floors) in the 4 high rise dorms had an allowance for activities and it was usually spent purchasing beer for open parties. Once the money was gone, there was nothing wrong with having people chip in or accepting a dollar "donation" from everyone for another party.

What the hell happened to this country!? Everywhere you go now everyone is so anal about alocohol. We are college students. We are going to drink whether they allow it or not. They should want to know about it so that they can keep an eye on us, not make it agaisnt the rules so that they have no idea when we are partying and someone gets alcohol poisoning.

Muse in Spring 2005 was a good show and there was good turnout in Halton in my opinion. All of the concert “failures” were before my time.

Also, a couple years ago cab had some smaller scale events that were BYOB in the courtyard by Cone Center, although you had to be 21 to bring beer. the turnout was ok, but if this became a more regular occurence, maybe more people would come.

Muse in Spring 2005 was a good show and there was good turnout in Halton in my opinion. All of the concert "failures" were before my time.

Seriously. The Muse show was great.

Also, a couple years ago cab had some smaller scale events that were BYOB in the courtyard by Cone Center, although you had to be 21 to bring beer. the turnout was ok, but if this became a more regular occurence, maybe more people would come.

Seriously. Tradition is the key. If we can get some more fun traditions, this campus will liven up and more students will want to stay here over the weekend. Also, it will improve the image of the school among prospective students a ton.

There is always stuff going on throughout the campus for all people but students don’t participate for one of 5 reasons,

1. Students Work - The latest data shows that over 65% of UNC Charlotte students are working over 20 hours a week (if that data is correct from the Office of Institutional Research)

2. Perception - Many students come to UNC Charlotte thinking that it is [I]not [/I]UNC Chapel Hill, NC State (because they got reject from the latter 2), or that it is not a good place to get an education. Unfortunately, many students hold the perception that they are currently in school to get out of Charlotte and transfer after 2 years to UNC Chapel Hill or NC State. Many student then realize that no one can ever get into Chapel Hill through transfer so they give up and become disgruntled graduates that live in Charlotte and cheer for the Tarholes emphasizing the UNC part of the UNC Charlotte name and enjoying when people commonly mistake UNC Charlotte for “Carolina”.

3. Disconnection - Many students (sometimes due to the above 2 reasons) do not read the campus newspaper because the UTimes has a reputation for being bad (because it is). This problem may be solved through the new www.nineronline.com its really cool, check it out. The problem of disconnection is magnified because many students do not use their @uncc.edu email address (because the 49er express interface sucks!) which recieves constant email from athletics, CAB, student orgs, and administration. I have been informed by the officials in charge of student email that we will all be migrated over to an outlook web interface before the start of the fall semester. Hopefully students will start using their @uncc.edu email address more.

4. Rejection - UNC Charlotte rarely rejects applicants, according to Office of Institutional Research data, we admit over 80% of applicants meaning that many students that could not get accepted to other colleges come to Charlotte, leading to the perception that UNC Charlotte classes are [I]easy[/I]. However, the reality is quite the contrary. UNC Charlotte classes are just as hard as any other school’s classes and sometimes are harder. This perception coupled with the expectation of our academic departments leads to poor academic performance by our students which causes them to miss events.

5. Charlotte - the city has a lot to do, we are not Dayton, Ohio. Why stay on campus and hang out when you can go to one of many top notch Charlotte night clubs? Why watch Charlotte take on Duqeusne at basketball when Lebron is playing right down the street?

From my perspective, student leaders and administration members are doing everything they can do address the 3rd of my points above. For the 1st two points to change it will take a while and a healthy dose of financial aid.

[QUOTE=BobandEd49er;177610]Yea Over, I heard one could really stretch the rules back in the 1840’s… :smile:[/QUOTE]

It was easier because we didn’t have any suspicious characters named “Bobbin” running around causing trouble.

:smile:

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;177635]
2) Perception - Many students come to UNC Charlotte thinking that it is [I]not [/I]UNC Chapel Hill, NC State (because they got reject from the latter 2), or that it is not a good place to get an education. Unfortunately, many students hold the perception that they are currently in school to get out of Charlotte and transfer after 2 years to UNC Chapel Hill or NC State. Many student then realize that no one can ever get into Chapel Hill through transfer so they give up and become disgruntled graduates that live in Charlotte and cheer for the Tarholes emphasizing the UNC part of the UNC Charlotte name and enjoying when people commonly mistake UNC Charlotte for “Carolina”.
[/QUOTE]

:unhappy:

In my time at charlotte i never saw an event worth going to yet uncw has kanye west and duke has ludacris. I am not hip hop fan but those shows have to cost money and they spent it to get students to come out. I would have gone to a concert or event if it was worth my time but nothing was. Bring a big name in once then just bands or people you have heard of once or twice not people who cost the least.

2) Perception - Many students come to UNC Charlotte thinking that it is [I]not [/I]UNC Chapel Hill, NC State (because they got reject from the latter 2), or that it is not a good place to get an education. Unfortunately, many students hold the perception that they are currently in school to get out of Charlotte and transfer after 2 years to UNC Chapel Hill or NC State. Many student then realize that no one can ever get into Chapel Hill through transfer so they give up and become disgruntled graduates that live in Charlotte and cheer for the Tarholes emphasizing the UNC part of the UNC Charlotte name and enjoying when people commonly mistake UNC Charlotte for "Carolina".
  1. Rejection - UNC Charlotte rarely rejects applicants, according to Office of Institutional Research data, we admit over 80% of applicants meaning that many students that could not get accepted to other colleges come to Charlotte, leading to the perception that UNC Charlotte classes are easy. However, the reality is quite the contrary. UNC Charlotte classes are just as hard as any other school’s classes and sometimes are harder. This perception coupled with the expectation of our academic departments leads to poor academic performance by our students which causes them to miss events.

2. Charlotte - the city has a lot to do, we are not Dayton, Ohio. Why stay on campus and hang out when you can go to one of many top notch Charlotte night clubs? Why watch Charlotte take on Duqeusne at basketball when Lebron is playing right down the street?

• false. more than anytime in unc charlotte’s history, its becoming a first choice school. second, more people flunk out of unc charlotte than transfer. also, more students who didn’t get into carolina go to nc state and east carolina than unc charlotte.

• true to a point. yes, unc charlotte accepts a large percentage of applications. however, they also receive fewer apps than chapel hill. check out ecu and state’s stats, they aren’t much better

• right on! for me, its like the radio station stuff, how would unc charlotte radio compete when charlotte’s radio market is already saturated. how is the activities board going to compete with all that charlotte has to offer?

• Bring a big name in once then just bands or people you have heard of once or twice not people who cost the least.

Who’s going to foot the bill when the concert inevitably fails because all the students are going home that weekend? I’m not saying that’s a 100% certainty, but I think that the people in charge realize that based on past attempts, they cannot justify paying a big-name band the type of money they will need to pay them and then “hope” that the campus rallies around it.

Charlotte is a very very tough market for the school to compete with. There are lots of things to do, in relation to professional sports and concert venues, as well as a good location for people who want to go home or get away for the weekend. Also, in terms of our athletic facilities, I believe we are hurt by our location on campus (toward one of the edges, rather than being more centralized). People are not forced to walk past our facilities daily on their way to class.