Undeclared 2010 prospects per ESPN

Read in the Observer last week that David Wishon will take a prep year at Fork Union Military next year.

Looks like 6’10" PF Eloy Vargas, who’s number one on that ESPN list, might not wind up at Arizona. http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildaboutazcats/2010/05/10/vargas-recruitment-by-arizona-stalls-because-of-differing-agendas/

Continuing the ‘catch-all’ nature of this thread, here’s an article on CoCo Ware (not KoKo B. Ware)

[font=lucida grande][size=13px][font=Verdana]“I could sit here the rest of the day and talk what he’s meant to our program,” White said. “You can’t put into words what he’s meant. You can’t or won’t be able to replace CoCo Ware. I’ve coached for 21 years and just the other week I told friends and colleagues of mine that, in my career I’ve never had a kid anywhere that has more of an impact on a team winning games than Coco. He literally does everything.”[/font][/size][/font] [font=verdana][/font] That ability to net wins for EMCC comes not only from Ware’s ability to net buckets, although he is 19th in the country with 20.2 points per game. That ability helped Ware lead the Lions in scoring in 22 games, while shooting 45.4 percent. He is also second on the team with 71 assists and led the way in eight games.
But Ware’s importance to EMCC’s 26-5 mark goes far beyond scoring. And that is fine with Ware, too.

“I enjoy playing defense,” he said. “Anyone can score if you ask me.”

That defensive prowess included 81 steals, most on the team (and high in 19 games) and 18th in the NJCAA. Ware also blocked 11 shots, fifth-best on the EMCC roster. He also is more than adept on the boards, pulling down 6.1 a game, second-highest among the Lions. He led the team in boards six times, highlighted by a 30-point, 15-rebound outing at Coahoma on Feb. 1.

“Last week he scored 32 points and didn’t make a single 3,” White said. “He leads us in scoring, but then you look and he has six or eight rebounds, too. He guards the opponent’s best player, he takes hard falls and he still wants to play.  A friend, who has coached in this league for 19-20 years, watched us in the state tournament and told me after, ‘CoCo is phenomenal. I already knew that, but I watched him now as a fan, and everything he does and what it means for the team, he’s just phenomenal.”

That impact, though, extends beyond the court. Ware has left his mark on Scooba and will be irreplaceable, White added.

“He goes around campus and talks to teachers that he doesn’t even have for class,” he said. “We will never replace him on the court or off the court.  He will be one of the guys that people will always talk about that played in this league and the impact he has on his team winning the game.”</blockquote>

CoCo Ware had been pursued by Iowa as a juco PG - but if Iowa lands juco PG Salter, I don’t know if anyone else is chasing him.

CoCo Ware will only have 1 year of eligibility.

Wow! Was he on the 4-year plan at community college?

Ware is ranked in the 40’s on rivals top juco lists.

His rivals site also shows visits and schollie offers from Alcorn St and Miss Valley St, and Iowa having interest, but no offer from them yet.

Maybe a back up plan for us? If not him, I’d like to know that we at least have some back up plans in place, in case Salter doesn’t come here. I’m surprised we are not hearing about more visits from 2010 guards.

Ware is not a target of ours.

Really sounds like if we had made a move, Cleveland Melvin could have been coaxed into a visit. The former UConn commit will decide between DePaul, Marshall, Rutgers, and Seton Hall following his trip to Piscataway on Thursday. From Zagsblog:

Melvin said Rutgers assistant [b]Jimmy Martelli[/b] called him last week and expressed interest.

“The assistant coach had called me and let me know that he was very interested in me. He told me they wanted me to come out and visit,” Melvin said.

Melvin said he’s looking for a school that plays an “up-and-down tempo,” can give him a “great education and a lot of playing time.”

Melvin described himself as a “very athletic wing forward that can shoot mid-range.”

“He’s extremely athletic, 6-8, runs the floor,” added Cecil Kirk (AAU program in Baltimore) coach Anthony Lewis. “He’s a slasher-type scorer, wing-forward type player. He’s very quick, agile, can put it on the deck and get to the rack. He’s a solid defender on the perimeter and extremely athletic.”

Link to entire piece on Zagsblog.com: Melvin to decide after Rutgers visit

I was telling myself that Run. But who knows, maybe we made a push and he didn’t want to come this far south.

[quote=“moss2k, post:29, topic:23211”]I was telling myself that Run. But who knows, maybe we made a push and he didn’t want to come this far south.[/quote]True. Interesting that his “Final Four” is comprised completely of schools with new coaches.

FWIW, former UConn commit 6-8 F Cleveland Melvin of Baltimore picks DePaul over Rutgers, Seton Hall, and Marshall.

ge’lawn has us listed with 4 others as of 5/15/10!

i still woulndt mind having gelawn. the guy is big, athletic, can shoot, loves to play defense and can play both guard spots.

as of this afternoon espn says we are in need of some PG depth and are still looking at Guyn.

I think Guyn would be an excellent get. I’m wondering if he is having some qualifying issues.

[quote=“Ruckus42, post:34, topic:23211”]as of this afternoon espn says we are in need of some PG depth and are still looking at Guyn.

I think Guyn would be an excellent get. I’m wondering if he is having some qualifying issues.[/quote]
hes going to prep school.

We had a good shot at Cleveland Melvin good friend of Briscoe’s for some reason coaching staff chose not to pursue him. :o

[quote=“Ruckus42, post:34, topic:23211”]as of this afternoon espn says we are in need of some PG depth and are still looking at Guyn.

I think Guyn would be an excellent get. I’m wondering if he is having some qualifying issues.[/quote]

espn link?

We had a good shot at Cleveland Melvin good friend of Briscoe’s for some reason coaching staff chose not to pursue him. :o[/quote]

They must have a good feeling about what lies ahead for 2011. I was personally hoping we would go after Melvin.

We had a good shot at Cleveland Melvin good friend of Briscoe’s for some reason coaching staff chose not to pursue him. :o[/quote]

They must have a good feeling about what lies ahead for 2011. I was personally hoping we would go after Melvin.[/quote]From what I’ve read, Melvin and UConn parted ways over what role he’d play. Huskies wanted him as a PF, while he wants to play at SF. Also sounds like he really wanted to play in the Big East, so he still gets to do that.

BTW, I’m getting the impression that another player from the Baltimore-area - PG Brandon Young - has decided to stay with the Demons after some rumblings that he might re-open his recruitment following Wainwright’s dismissal.

Just reading on Zagsblog, etc. that 6-8 SF/SG Chris Hill of Raleigh has been taking unofficials this month at Ohio State and Seton Hall and perhaps at Arizona as well. Apparently some academic issues for this highly rated player (ESPN = 93; Rivals = 3 stars) who is trying to get eligible this summer to play this coming year. If he’s on OSU’s radar, I would venture he’s on ours as well. Would think he’s likely to be a prep should he not qualify for 2010-11.

ESPN.com: Chris Hill |SF

Rivals.com: Chris Hill