Unethical recruiting?

“Michael Beasley was supposed to go to Charlotte, and in fact, had given Bobby Lutz a verbal commitment. But when Beasley’s former DC Assault coach, Dalonte Hill, left Lutz’s bench for a similar assistant’s job at Kansas State, Beasley went with him. Beasley went on to become the player of the year and Hill the associate head coach at K-State, to the tune of $400,000 a year.”

A shout out from espn AND they got the name right. Interesting read about recruiting

[URL]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=3710807[/URL]

IN

Ugh.

Blegh.

Blargh

[QUOTE=DanTheNiner;362255]“Michael Beasley was supposed to go to Charlotte, and in fact, had given Bobby Lutz a verbal commitment. But when Beasley’s former DC Assault coach, Dalonte Hill, left Lutz’s bench for a similar assistant’s job at Kansas State, Beasley went with him. Beasley went on to become the player of the year and Hill the associate head coach at K-State, to the tune of $400,000 a year.”

A shout out from espn AND they got the name right. Interesting read about recruiting

[URL]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=3710807[/URL][/QUOTE]

Unethical? Yes. Illegal and punishable? No, unless Beasley or his family recieved some of Dabenedicte’s cash payout.

This has happened more than once for a school to land a recruit, though it’s usually a family member that gets hired as an assistant or head coach instead of the player’s AAU coach. LSU hired Press Maravich in 1966 after he had 2 years earlier been fired at Clemson with a 55-96 record. Do you think LSU hired him for his coaching ability and that Pistol Pete just happened to be a high school senior? Larry Brown hired Danny Manning’s dad as an assistant coach before Danny’s senior season at Greensboro Page. More recently, Mempiss hired Dajuan Wagner’s dad to get Wagner to Memphis. Should be outlawed, but has not been yet. It’s like an indirect cash payment to the recruit’s family/handler. Sure, they may “coach”, but it’s a direct way to loophole the recruiting process. To be honest, I’m surprised it does not happen more. How much would somebody have paid Greg Oden’s dad to as an assistant to get him to come to your school? Kevin Durant? LeBron James (assuming the 1-and-done rule was in effect)? If you’re a school that has the money and it will secure the services of a great player, why not hire the dad as an assistant?

i was just looking over this whole fiasco last night, dantheniner. weird that you started a thread about it today.

im going to be having dreams of leemire and beasley on the same team for at least the next week.

I’m still bothered by teams doing what Memphis did to land Rivals #1 recruit Xavier Henry - they gave his brother a scholarship too.

It’s less egregious, but it’s just another example of indirectly paying for a player.

I’m not sure but I think we’ve mention this topic before.

I'm still bothered by teams doing what Memphis did to land Rivals #1 recruit Xavier Henry - they gave his brother a scholarship too.

It’s less egregious, but it’s just another example of indirectly paying for a player.

They did the same thing to help land Dajuan Wagner, they gave his best friend a scholarship too.

The problem is, how can you possibly regulate this sort of thing?

Any school that is offering a scholarship to a kid in order to get a superstar is taking a major risk, especially if the kid getting the scholarship is not high D1 level material.

Also, many of the guys hired to coaching or basketball positions usually have a background in the sport, so it is not like they are unqualified for the position. Milt Wagner stayed at Memphis for 6 years as a Coordinator of Basketball Operations, Dajaun was only there for 1. Now he is an assistant coach at UTEP.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;362334]
The problem is, how can you possibly regulate this sort of thing?
[/QUOTE]

That’s the million dollar question. If we had the money, why couldn’t we have hired Mombeasy as an assistant coach for a season to outbid Huggins and screw El Benidicte? How many $100K would it have taken to get Michael to follow? These schools with deep booster pockets I would have thought would have already tried this. Evidently, I’m being very devious in my thought process, or there is some rule against it I don’t know about. I mean, why not set aside a rogue Asst. Coach position each season for the dad or mom of a quality one-and-done player? That way, you’ve got a lottery pick on your team each season. I don’t think there is a limit on the number of Asst. Coaches you can have or that they actually have to perform certain coaching duties. :huh::ohmy: