University-area restaurant ads from 1982

[quote=“Niner National, post:8, topic:28882”][quote=“s9er, post:6, topic:28882”]the lack of a real college bar close to campus has always baffled me… I can’t figure out why one never took.

P.S. The Brusnwick Stew at Hickory House is fantastic.[/quote]

Agree, with both statements.

With all the new apartments being built right up on 49 and the construction of several new dorms over on the south side of campus, I think a bar at the intersection where the main entrance used to be would do well. Lots of people within walking distance of that area now.[/quote]

There’s always been a lot of people within walking distance. The problem is they’ve never made the streets pedestrian friendly. When they reworked Mallard Creek Church Rd, I had hoped they would try to change the old portion(I believe it’s John Kirk Dr now) to be more pedestrian friendly. The traffic’s not quite as heavy on it.

Where specifically was Mine Shaft Too located?

On the right between grey’s and what was City Limits

Herlockers - where you washed your hands after you ate!

[quote=“s9er, post:6, topic:28882”]the lack of a real college bar close to campus has always baffled me… I can’t figure out why one never took.

P.S. The Brusnwick Stew at Hickory House is fantastic.[/quote] The aforementioned Brunswick Stew is delicious indeed. However, as a person concerned with global warming, I have to mention that ingestion of the stew causes a
significant increase in methane production. :wink:

When I was in school, we had more girly bars than restaurants in the vicinity. SCK would have never graduated.

Back in the heyday for the bars around campus you could drink beer at 18. That made all the difference, but we still found reasons to drive all over Charlotte to go out. The White Horse on Eastway, The Treehouse on Independence, Johnny Dollar’s on South Blvd. Those were different times and we did some bad, stupid things driving home–but fun was had.

Lanny’s on Albamarle Rd. was also a popular choice.

A little outside the “University-area”.

A little outside the “University-area”.[/quote]
I think Tyro was reminiscing with me about some of the bars in those days that were not around campus. I believe he too may have been around during the days of those ads.

Hot Wok, anyone?