University-area restaurant ads from 1982

Those were the days… the Mine Shaft had a sliding board to take you from the 2nd to the ground floor. we only had a couple of thousand students on campus but the bars near the school were the place to go.

The Herlocker… I’m still sad it closed. :’(

Is Old Hickory House reopened yet? They had a fire and were supposed to be open again in the early summer. That place is good.

[quote=“s9er, post:3, topic:28882”]The Herlocker… I’m still sad it closed. :’(

Is Old Hickory House reopened yet? They had a fire and were supposed to be open again in the early summer. That place is good.[/quote]Saw a sign up two weeks ago that said they were open again.

I miss Gus’s. The shaft was a burnt pile of rubble when I got to charlotte but heard it was awesome before the fire.

the lack of a real college bar close to campus has always baffled me… I can’t figure out why one never took.

P.S. The Brusnwick Stew at Hickory House is fantastic.

[quote=“Niner National, post:4, topic:28882”][quote=“s9er, post:3, topic:28882”]The Herlocker… I’m still sad it closed. :’(

Is Old Hickory House reopened yet? They had a fire and were supposed to be open again in the early summer. That place is good.[/quote]Saw a sign up two weeks ago that said they were open again.[/quote]

Where??? They had my favorite all time BBQ sauce.

[quote=“s9er, post:6, topic:28882”]the lack of a real college bar close to campus has always baffled me… I can’t figure out why one never took.

P.S. The Brusnwick Stew at Hickory House is fantastic.[/quote]

Agree, with both statements.

With all the new apartments being built right up on 49 and the construction of several new dorms over on the south side of campus, I think a bar at the intersection where the main entrance used to be would do well. Lots of people within walking distance of that area now.

[quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:7, topic:28882”][quote=“Niner National, post:4, topic:28882”][quote=“s9er, post:3, topic:28882”]The Herlocker… I’m still sad it closed. :’(

Is Old Hickory House reopened yet? They had a fire and were supposed to be open again in the early summer. That place is good.[/quote]Saw a sign up two weeks ago that said they were open again.[/quote]

Where? ??? They had my favorite all time BBQ sauce.[/quote]It was just hanging on the Old Hickory House sign. It said it had re-opened. I didn’t even know it had closed.

Since they were already closed to repair fire damage, they should have had some windows cut into that place. So strange that there are no windows in that building.

[quote=“Niner National, post:9, topic:28882”][quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:7, topic:28882”][quote=“Niner National, post:4, topic:28882”][quote=“s9er, post:3, topic:28882”]The Herlocker… I’m still sad it closed. :’(

Where? ??? They had my favorite all time BBQ sauce.[/quote]It was just hanging on the Old Hickory House sign. It said it had re-opened. I didn’t even know it had closed.

Since they were already closed to repair fire damage, they should have had some windows cut into that place. So strange that there are no windows in that building.[/quote]

Sorry, misunderstood I thought you were talking about Herlockers re-openning.

[quote=“Niner National, post:9, topic:28882”][quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:7, topic:28882”][quote=“Niner National, post:4, topic:28882”][quote=“s9er, post:3, topic:28882”]The Herlocker… I’m still sad it closed. :’(

Since they were already closed to repair fire damage, they should have had some windows cut into that place. So strange that there are no windows in that building.[/quote]

No kidding… What a dark place… If there were ever Southern Mafia, it would be a place for a “sit down” between the families for sure.

[quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:10, topic:28882”][quote=“Niner National, post:9, topic:28882”][quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:7, topic:28882”][quote=“Niner National, post:4, topic:28882”][quote=“s9er, post:3, topic:28882”]The Herlocker… I’m still sad it closed. :’(

Sorry, misunderstood I thought you were talking about Herlockers re-openning.[/quote]

Me too! I was about to get very excited if Herlocker’s was back in business. Best onion rings…ever (and I don’t even normally like onion rings).

[quote=“chidave, post:12, topic:28882”][quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:10, topic:28882”][quote=“Niner National, post:9, topic:28882”][quote=“Jimmyhat49er, post:7, topic:28882”][quote=“Niner National, post:4, topic:28882”][quote=“s9er, post:3, topic:28882”]The Herlocker… I’m still sad it closed. :’(

Sorry, misunderstood I thought you were talking about Herlockers re-openning.[/quote]

Me too! I was about to get very excited if Herlocker’s was back in business. Best onion rings…ever (and I don’t even normally like onion rings).[/quote]

Agreed on the rings… The food there was outstanding. A real loss for the area… I still refuse to eat at that Cookout.

There is talk of a hotel near the PORTAL building. It would be great to have some restaurant/bars as a part of that project. That would make it more of a university bar vs, a community bar. I agree it’s needed and wouldn’t it be grey to have somewhere to go without having top drive.

There is talk of a hotel near the PORTAL building. It would be great to have some restaurant/bars as a part of that project. That would make it more of a university bar vs, a community bar. I agree it’s needed and wouldn’t it be grey to have somewhere to go without having top drive.[/quote]

Totally grey without having top driving.

There is talk of a hotel near the PORTAL building. It would be great to have some restaurant/bars as a part of that project. That would make it more of a university bar vs, a community bar. I agree it’s needed and wouldn’t it be grey to have somewhere to go without having top drive.[/quote]If it is owned by the university, I don’t think it’ll be possible. They’ll have to sell the land to the hotel operator for it to be legal. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Some more info:

http://charlotteeats.blogspot.com/2008/08/herlockers-park-drive-in-hall-of-fame.html

http://library.uncc.edu/manuscript/ms0230

There is talk of a hotel near the PORTAL building. It would be great to have some restaurant/bars as a part of that project. That would make it more of a university bar vs, a community bar. I agree it’s needed and wouldn’t it be grey to have somewhere to go without having top drive.[/quote]If it is owned by the university, I don’t think it’ll be possible. They’ll have to sell the land to the hotel operator for it to be legal. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.[/quote]

I suspect that the University could own the land and building, and lease it to a hotel chain. Its been part of the Master Plan for several revisions.

There is talk of a hotel near the PORTAL building. It would be great to have some restaurant/bars as a part of that project. That would make it more of a university bar vs, a community bar. I agree it’s needed and wouldn’t it be grey to have somewhere to go without having top drive.[/quote]If it is owned by the university, I don’t think it’ll be possible. They’ll have to sell the land to the hotel operator for it to be legal. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.[/quote]

I suspect that the University could own the land and building, and lease it to a hotel chain. Its been part of the Master Plan for several revisions.[/quote]Decided to look it up. It looks like it would be permitted.

School and College Campuses. - No permit for the sale of malt beverages, unfortified wine, or fortified wine shall be issued to a business on the campus or property of a public school or college, other than at a regional facility as defined by G.S. 160A-480.2 operated by a facility authority under Part 4 of Article 20 of Chapter 160A of the General Statutes except for a public school or college function, unless that business is a hotel or a nonprofit alumni organization with a mixed beverages permit or a special occasion permit.

I’ll let one of the lawyers here confirm since I don’t speak bullshit.

clt says hotel is happening.