University City Entertainment Complex

It’s officially announced that Top Golfs second location will be located at the entertainment district near IKEA/light rail station. I think this is great for the uni area, that will draw ppl from uptown/Southend. Even more reason to spruce up the boardwalks area and the street level presence of N Tryon and around CRI. The boardwalk and surrounding area needs a major overhaul. Needs more mixed use stuff…retail, office, UNCC on campus hotel will help. I said in another thread, there needs to be a reason for ppl uptown and South charlotte to come. Top Golf, potential brewery, and a “downtown” strolling district along tryon could be a good start. I think a byproduct of all this potential could improve gameday attendance to sporting events. Most ppl who live uptown/Southend, etc have no reason to come to the university area…light rail will be game changing along with the development it spurs.

I was really looking forward to the used car dealerships that were supposed to go there

Good post

clt says Boone is a candidate to get a papa johns, but it doesn’t look good.

With the light rail coming to campus and the entertainment complex being added close to campus why not try to host the CUSA basketball tournament in Halton in a few years?

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:25, topic:31009”]With the light rail coming to campus and the entertainment complex being added close to campus why not try to host the CUSA basketball tournament in Halton in a few years?[/quote]because cusa has Judy Rose Syndrome and thinks people give a fuck about women’s basketball. They wont host the tournament somewhere unless it can accommodate both.

To host a tourny you have to find financial partners and sponsors to back it. Our AD in the past wasn’t interested or willing to do that. Maybe our new one might be.

I was thinking about this the other day. I have not been in Belk Gym since they renovated it, but could you put temporary bleachers around one court and host the women’s games there? You probably wouldn’t need more than 1500 seats.

Renovated Belk Gym pic below… no concessions, and not sure there are sufficient bathrooms for that many spectators, enough locker rooms, adequate egress, etc. Plus, turf war with Rec Services.

I was thinking about this the other day. I have not been in Belk Gym since they renovated it, but could you put temporary bleachers around one court and host the women’s games there? You probably wouldn’t need more than 1500 seats.[/quote]

clt says cusa plans to bundle tickets. If you want mens tix, you have to attend the women’s game, get a special code and then you can purchase men’s tix.

I was thinking about this the other day. I have not been in Belk Gym since they renovated it, but could you put temporary bleachers around one court and host the women’s games there? You probably wouldn’t need more than 1500 seats.[/quote]
Renovated Belk Gym pic below… no concessions, and not sure there are sufficient bathrooms for that many spectators, enough locker rooms, adequate egress, etc. Plus, turf war with Rec Services.
[/quote]
It looks like you could use the middle court and put bleachers on either side. We used to play in this gym and it sat about 3500 fans, so unless they removed some there should be enough restrooms. We could do temporary concessions, maybe pushcarts–Davidson does. I don’t think Belk would be ideal, but they could play the Women’s finals in Halton. I think we could make it work.

As an aside, I have watched Niners games on five different home courts: Belk Gym (The Mineshaft), Charlotte Coliseum (now Bojangle’s Arena), Charlotte Coliseum (now gone, but was the original home of the Hornets), Halton Arena, and Time Warner Cable Arena (now Spectrum Center). Can anyone beat five?

It’s women’s basketball. A unisex bathroom and a hotdog cart is sufficient services for demand.

If this were being hosted at MT my opinion would be different, but almost nobody is traveling for women’s bball.

To host a tourny you have to find financial partners and sponsors to back it. Our AD in the past wasn’t interested or willing to do that. Maybe our new one might be.[/quote]

Once we get an AD in here that doesn’t have the “well what is easiest for us” attitude, maybe we will put some effort in to working out the logistics and going out to get sponsors for something like this.

clt says you could host the women’s tourney on the court beside the RDH.