University of Charlotte

At least we’re getting some pub in the big O!

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14353823.htm]http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14353823.htm[/URL]

Nice article. I think Kile said the right things.

[QUOTE]What Do You Think?

Visit www.ucneighbors.com and let us know what you think of the call to rename UNC Charlotte the University of Charlotte.

[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know how to let them know what we think? Email the editor, or how does this usually work?

[QUOTE]university@charlotteobserver.com

Editor Vanessa Willis is responsible for the editorial content of this section. Reach her at (704) 358-6009 or vwillis@charlotteobserver.com.

Reporter April Bethea covers education, including public and private schools and UNC Charlotte, and the Davis Lake community. Reach her at (704) 358-6013 or abethea@charlotteobserver.com.
[/QUOTE]

I want to be called Chapel Hill-Satelite Institution.

Joe Franco vetoed this???

HOLY CRAP!

BOOOO!!! I’m glad I didn’t vote for Ben!

Ugh. Dubois on the wrong side of every issue it seems.

Joe Franco vetoed this????

HOLY CRAP!

BOOOO!!! I’m glad I didn’t vote for Ben!

I think he based his veto on the Chancellor’s remarks. He may be trying to prevent any problems between the Senate and the Chancellor. It would be nice if he supported the name change outright though.

Then again, none of the professor’s I’ve mentioned a name change to are in support of it.

I think he based his veto on the Chancellor's remarks. He may be trying to prevent any problems between the Senate and the Chancellor. It would be nice if he supported the name change outright though.

Then again, none of the professor’s I’ve mentioned a name change to are in support of it.

Professors are old, stubborn and stingy. Why the hell would they support a name change.

Franco opted to quash the voice of the students? That’s pathetic. I was under the impression the Senate wasn’t able to get it passed. What a lame suck-up move that was.

Franco opted to quash the voice of the students? That's pathetic. I was under the impression the Senate wasn't able to get it passed. What a lame suck-up move that was.
Politics.

It’s pretty much the position the United Nations is in, relative to the United States. Do too much against the man writing your checks and funding you, and you’ll simply be ignored.

Franco opted to quash the voice of the students? That's pathetic. I was under the impression the Senate wasn't able to get it passed. What a lame suck-up move that was.

But on the bright side, it got pub in the observer!

“UNC Charlotte just implies that it was the satellite, commuter school that we were in 1975,” Blair said, adding “We’re (now) the school you go to to get your world-class degree.”

I think I understand the intent of what you are trying to do and I don’t have a problem with it. Also, the school has grown INCREDIBLY since I graduated.

However, as a student from the late 70’s-early 80’s era, I find it kind of demeaning to imply that I attended a “satellite, commuter school”.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;168592]“UNC Charlotte just implies that it was the satellite, commuter school that we were in 1975,” Blair said, adding “We’re (now) the school you go to to get your world-class degree.”

I think I understand the intent of what you are trying to do and I don’t have a problem with it. Also, the school has grown INCREDIBLY since I graduated.

However, as a student from the late 70’s-early 80’s era, I find it kind of demeaning to imply that I attended a “satellite, commuter school”.[/QUOTE]
I live 100 miles from campus in Greenville, SC and you’d be surprised at the number of times that I’ve heard “You must be a huge tarheel fan” when I tell people where I went to college.

Charlotte has a huge identity problem and keeping the name UNC Charlotte doesn’t help.

If it makes sense to change the name of the athletics department to “Charlotte,” it should make sense to change the name of the school as well.

Most of my extended family did this to me on a regular basis when I’d see them back when I was in school. It’s a big reason I don’t talk to any of them anymore.

I always thought that to be an extremely relevant point. Why did the athletics dept. change their name and why is that okay?

-They changed their name so that they would stop being confused with UNC-CH. Duh. It was a REAL, LEGITIMATE problem they had on their hands, and they decided it was worth the effort and money to change their name while the school was still (by USA standards) young. Despite the administration’s and student body president’s positions on the matter, the academic side of the school HAS THE SAME PROBLEM!!!

I now tell people I went to school at Charlotte because I’m ****ing tired of people calling me a Tar Heel and ****ing tired of explaining the difference between Penn State-Altoona and UCLA (does anyone else get that reference?).

[QUOTE=UpState49er;168595]I live 100 miles from campus in Greenville, SC and you’d be surprised at the number of times that I’ve heard “You must be a huge tarheel fan” when I tell people where I went to college.

Charlotte has a huge identity problem and keeping the name UNC Charlotte doesn’t help.

If it makes sense to change the name of the athletics department to “Charlotte,” it should make sense to change the name of the school as well.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. My brother went to UNCW and I would tell people (lived in Virigina at the time) and they would say something like “Antwan Jamison sure is a great player” or “how’s their football team going to be this year?”

The UNC name has been branded to Chapel Hill for years, there is no way to escape it. With the UNC in front of our name we are fighting a lost cause in terms of making a name for ourselves, both as an athletic program and as a university.

I can understand shooting down the name change as a financial conern, but saying it won’t help the school’s image is insane.

Good work Kile, I knew there was a reason I voted for you, that and you were the only one with color fliers posted in Woodward.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;168592]"However, as a student from the late 70’s-early 80’s era, I find it kind of demeaning to imply that I attended a “satellite, commuter school”.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Back in the 70s, we did not consider ourselves a “satellite commuter school”. When I was there, one third of the students lived on campus and another siginficant percentage lived in nearby apartments. I also knew people from my high school who were not accepted to UNCC and had to go to App State, ECU, or Wingate.

How about “crapple hole-south”?

How about we go with QCU? Queen City University. We could be straight gangsta. Rollin on dub-douces to the QCU. No platinum, just gold. You know how we do. What what what

Getcha hands in the air if you really don’t care.:clap: We the QCU and we’ll smack your dariaire. Bitches

Here’s how local Charlotteans feel about the name change: Some people are idiots!

[URL=http://pod01.prospero.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=332&nav=messages&webtag=kr-charlottetm]http://pod01.prospero.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=332&nav=messages&webtag=kr-charlottetm[/URL]

What a downer, some people just don’t get it.

I don’t know if you guys read through all the responses, but a LARGE number of them say that the school should change its name.