US Men's National Team - Bob Bradley

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/07/bradley-fired-as-usa-coach.html#comments

Bradley fired. Gotta let this sink in.

Wonder if a foreignor will be hired to coach the US team?

I think a foreigner is the way to go.

Wow. Sounds like they asked him to do something (bench his son?) that he wouldn’t do, so they told him to pack his bags…

Wonder what is was? Nothing else explains the timing.

read different articles on this. most say they’re surprised at the timing, but one made a good point. the US has 3 friendlies scheduled so far for the rest of the year, WCQ doesn’t start for US until fall next year (IIRC), so this would give a new coach time to get to know the pool, develop strategies and young players for the cycle.

Wynalda has said in the past the with Bob being the coach and mike on the team, that it’s hard for the team to build camaraderie through the time old tradition of complaining about PT and the coach in the locker room b/c of mbradley. he spoke on this many times.

There aren’t many foreign coaches out there right now with WC experience. Lippi is, he coached italy to the championship in germany in 06. klinsman is with Toronto FC in some capacity now, so i’m not sure about him. and with all the euro leagues ramping up now, i doubt any coach worth his salt is jumping over for the position.

This should’ve been done immediately following the gold cup, unless they already have someone lined up. There’s a presser scheduled on friday. so ::slight_smile:

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:4, topic:25579”]Wow. Sounds like they asked him to do something (bench his son?) that he wouldn’t do, so they told him to pack his bags…

Wonder what is was? Nothing else explains the timing.[/quote]

there’s been talk in the soccer circle that michael should’ve been benched a long time ago. i’m not saying nepotism was in full force here, but Twellman has said before that others who are just as capable should be starting on USMNT over mbradley. A constant thing bob had always said about players getting PT on the USMNT was first team action and regular playing time. Funny how that didn’t apply to mbradley. He was in the doghouse with MGB in germany, then the loan to Villa and he wasn’t getting anything there either, yet started every friendly and every gold cup this summer. ??wtf?? Many have asked for Torres to be back in the pool, but what would happen to red card mike? FYI, the gold cup final was the first time he has played in a championship game for the USMNT, every previous time he was out for cards. Wha? ???

Not to bash on mbradley too much, i think he’s decent, but i don’t think he’s automatic in every lineup. give me dempsey, holden as automatics and then jones, bradley, bedoya, edu, adu, torres , shea as needed.

We are just so stubborn, it is not about putting the best players with the best conditioning on the field. That is what we believe, and run plays to score. Scoring in soccer is all about instinct.

It is one pass or one step in the right position, which is all about instinct at the forward position. It is Michael Vick not Peyton Manning. Peyton Manning is a dud in soccer, Michael Vick is a superstar.

Year after year, their is college players that can just score the ball. But they are not the right size or athletic enough to play on the squad.

Their was a guy, about 10 yrs ago, I think from UVA, short plump guy from like NJ. He would score like 2 goals a game to take the team to the final 4, maybe they won, not sure. He was always on the space or the ball to make the play.

I watched him play, and thought to myself he would absolutely have no chance to make our National Squad, but if he was on the field at striker for 80+ minutes on our national squad the guy would be able to score.

But again, I bet they didn’t even look at him for a tryout. Until they fix that, we will struggle.

This should have happened after the WC. Not that Bradley is terrible (he’s not) but its just rare to see coaches run through 2 WC cycles unless they just won the thing.

I like Michael Bradley. I think the talent is def there, but he plays outside of himself to much and get lazy with possession (like most americans honestly). I think he will benefit from having a new coach on the sidelines.

Given the timing, I’m sure we have someone else lined up. I’m sure its Klinsmann

I think Bob Bradley played favorites with more than just his son. But there’s simply no way M Bradley should’ve been given all those starts and, furthermore, played 90+ minutes every time. M Bradley is decent, but I’d have given some of the other guys (Edu, Torres, Feilhaber) opportunities to play in his spot. He just is way too sloppy with his passing, touch, and dribbling that he both stifled the offense and exposed the defense multiple times a game. For every time he made a good play (including scoring some goals and hustling back on defense) he would make a poor play with a blown pass, a giveaway in a tough position, or a missed marking assignment. People kept calling him strictly a defensive mid, but he seemed to spend an awful lot of time upfield trying to orchestrate the offense.

But others got favored treatment too. Kljestan and Bornstein got multiple opportunities to blow it for the USMNT, while other guys either didn’t get called or got pulled after one bad play. I really don’t understand why Gomez didn’t get more chances in the WC and after. Maybe he was injured at some point?

More than playing M Bradley, I think the biggest issue with Bob Bradley has been a failure to bring up new players in the recent contests to get ready for the next round of qualifying. He keeps playing older guys, or guys that have already shown what they can do, and most of these guys will be past their prime when the next WC comes around. This means we will be mixing and matching all over the roster, right up to the tournament, same as last time.

That would be cool. I don’t know of his coaching ability, I hardly know what I’m talking about regarding this subject, but he seemed like a really knowledgeable and good guy when he commentated for the WC. I was a fan.

clt is hearing that lutz is a candidate.

it’s official. klinsmann

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/07/klinsmann-hired-as-usmnt-coach.html#more

[quote=“geeosphere, post:12, topic:25579”]it’s official. klinsmann

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/07/klinsmann-hired-as-usmnt-coach.html#more[/quote]

If only it was still 2007…

USMT is employing the same hiring philosophy as the NE Patriots.

had to dig for this article. remember reading it back then, but good piece by klinsmann for BBC on what he did as German national coach. Remember, prior to 06, germany was kind of dwindling as far as a traditional powerhouse. I think Klinsmann’s input helped changed that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8789682.stm

i would hope that he can do something similar to this (as of now the US U23 and U20 have no coach, so surely, they’ll be klinsmann influenced appointments)