UT Fan says Lutz is shady recruiter

This was posted on the scout.com UT board.

[b]I was told a first hand report of, at best, shady dealings by Sir Lutz. The person that told me had no axe to grind, nothing to gain, and had no inkling this scenario would have played out the way it has, since I was told this 3 years ago. It was related to me just as another story from the recruiting front. Not everything is going to generate enough interest for the NCAA to get involved - that doesn't mean it's okay to do. The story involved arrangements for 'contributions' to be made to a prep school.

There are always at least 2 principals in every situation - in this case there were 4, and I was told this by one of those four. So yes, there is ā€˜somethingā€™ out there (whether it rises to the NCAA level is not my concern - itā€™s shady enough for me to be concerned), and I have personal knowledge.[/b]

My first thought is he or his ā€œsourceā€ are full of it. Maybe UT was going after a recruit we were and we won out, though I donā€™t remember us competing with them for anyone.

As far as prep school what prep players have we had during Lutzā€™s time here?

Rodney and Demon are the first two that come to mind.

Anybody know what this might be referring to?

No clue. For a team thatā€™s really struggling right now in a top conference, one would think UT fans wouldnā€™t be so nit-picky in their choice of coaches, though.

[b]No clue. For a team that's really struggling right now in a top conference, one would think UT fans wouldn't be so nit-picky in their choice of coaches, though. [/b]

Well, if the school is about to spend over $1 million a year on a coach, I think that I would be pretty critical of the candidates as well.

I think of Wafer while reading that.

What they are describing happens all the time.

Obviously, Bobby wasnā€™t shady enough, or else Niners would still be dancing :angry: :wink:

Yeah, Iā€™m sure honest recruiting is the first thing on the Vols minds. :wink: Yeah, right. Just look at their football coach, Mr. Honesty ā€“ Phil Fulmer.

[i]Originally posted by franchise49er[/i]@Mar 27 2005, 10:02 PM [b] Obviously, Bobby wasn't shady enough, or else Niners would still be dancing :angry: :wink: [/b]
I'm in favor of a little shadiness. It's not breaking the law, it's just the NCAA.

Our coaching staff is clean. I knew some of the inklings when recruting Wafer, it was all done cleanly for the most part. Nothing out of the ordinary for the kid.

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Mar 27 2005, 09:52 PM [b] I think of Wafer while reading that.

What they are describing happens all the time. [/b]

Same here, ShowDawg. It was about the same time and I remember reading an article that hinted at us having some ā€œunder the tableā€ dealings. The report didnā€™t mention us by name but I remember most of the board thinking it was us the reporter was talking about.

[i]Originally posted by ice_cold49er[/i]@Mar 27 2005, 10:24 PM [b] Yeah, I'm sure honest recruiting is the first thing on the Vols minds. :wink: Yeah, right. Just look at their football coach, Mr. Honesty -- Phil Fulmer. [/b]
Exactly. Before you tell somebody that they don't run a clean program you need to run a clean one yourself first, whatever the sport.

How about Ron Slay and that crew that was there in the late '90s earl '00s. Maybe Iā€™m just judgin by perception but that didnā€™t seem like the most squeaky clean crew. How do UT fans know anything about charlotte recruiting, i guess we can assume as well.

Fulmer and Pearl will form a good, shady tandem.

Washington Post about Fulmer and Alabama

Fox Sports story about Pearl and Illinois

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Mar 28 2005, 12:51 AM [b] it was all done cleanly for the most part. [/b]
We want a staff who will do it all cleanly, for the most part.

Newsflash- WE CHEAT. EVERYBODY CHEATS.

Not one major or minor program doesnā€™t break the rules at some point and time. The severity is the sticking point. Getting caught sending a FedEx box full of money like UK did is about as bad as it gets. If we did that we would get the ā€œDeath Penaltyā€, ask Cleveland St. UK gets a slap on the wrist.

However, we talk to recruits during ā€œdeadā€ periods and other things considered minor. If we didnā€™t we would have 12 walk-ons.

it would be nice if we could get American Express to make a commercial and cheat for us.

[i]Originally posted by NinerOne[/i]@Mar 28 2005, 01:55 PM [b] it would be nice if we could get American Express to make a commercial and cheat for us. [/b]
Hmmmmmm.....Bobby Lutz or Cedric Maxwell on an American Express commercial......what would we show off, the '76 NIT Finals Banner? The '77 Final Four Banner?

I have always heard fishy things about Nickelberryā€¦I would think Bobby had to know if something fishy was going on. Tough not to look the other way.

I heard Bobby folded during the last games of the season and is looking for a new job because he has massive gambling debts.

I heard booby is actually a south american drug lord who was using his job as a front but the new trafficing hub is in knoxville so he was trying to move his operations. Ok thats crap but gambling debts? are you serious, I would have never seen that coming.

clt admits that he bought malik el tamir a package of socks. clt points out that malik needed the socks. clt would do it again.