UTEP @ Charlotte 10/24 Noon ESPN+

We look like a team missing some pieces to injury that has had a chaotic and random season impacted by a pandemic or something

Playing against a team experiencing the same pandemic…and playing on the road…several time zones away… That, per the announcers, have never won an EST time zone game ever.

Such a lack of creativity here on offense. As I type this we run up middle on second and 15.

Play calls are just dumb. Worst than I have seen since Lambert’s 1st OC. 2nd and 15 run. 3rd and 12 qb up the middle. Either the OC or Reynolds should be benched.

I am at the game and our offensive coordinator is horrible. Whoever is calling these plays need to be fired. Also UTEP is running only 5 plays that I can see. We look terrible on defense against the run.

We are using two QBs along with having Camp in the backfield today. Looks like we think this is a spring game where everyone plays and we run trick plays all day

They have 3 TOs and we have none and yet we are lucky to be tied. Unreal.

Fisher is really missed. The center is very erratic and is not blocking well. Lucky that Reynolds doesn’t panic.

There are numerous sections with no one in them. This is ridiculous.

1 Like

Unbelievable turnaround in the 2nd half.
Wow.
And whew!

1 Like

Awful first half on both sides along with coaching. We need to play first team guys in first half and stop worrying about playing backups till game is won. There is no reason for two QBs on field multiple plays in first half and Camp getting so many carries

3 Likes

Great win! UTEP is a lot better than years past. I still don’t know if we are as good as I think we are or can be. Murray is a beast and DeLuca has about a thousand tackles. Reynolds saves us with his brains and ability. E Mac was fantastic and Tucker is back in good form.

We have a lot of things to fix before we play some of the top notch teams.

Offensive line letting DL get to Reynolds
Safety play is spotty
Too many big plays on 3rd down
Getting gashed twice when we have the other team deep in their own territory
Defense not getting set in time
Not enough pass rush and we didn’t blitz much
Our OC thinks way too much and calls goofy plays
Very little urgency
Kickoff team allowed way too much yardage on kickoffs Need a killer instinct

But a win none the less. Go Niners!

1 Like

We were down a bunch if guys today.

The depth got us a CUSA win today.

We aren’t winning this game a lot of years.

Wonderful adjustments and effort in the second half.

Notes later

4 Likes

Hope and pray that was the issue. CoVid or injuries? Oh yea! Shout out to McEachern! The man is super fast.

Did anyone else think the field looked “worn out?” Maybe it was that the mid-field logo hasn’t received a refresh…since it’s likely going away soon?

The field looked good in person. Maybe it was the TV coverage. The big screen at the stadium was messed up and the colors were way off though. I don’t know if any of their feeds came from ESPN +.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if or when Reynolds is going to be fully healthy? It looks like he’s either afraid to or been instructed to not pull the ball down and run. When we went on our winning streak at end of year, he was rushing for over 90 yards a game. It’s making defenses now stack the middle because they aren’t. Worried about Him running.

Today the defense took over in second half with the turnovers and let’s the offense take the momentum

Certainly not a perfect game, but we ended the game with more points than they did.

We started two true freshman on the offensive line. Its tough to be successful when you do that. We weren’t amazing, but that unit is getting better. I am the first one to be critical of that group, but you can see them working and getting better. In 3 or 4 years that unit will be ridiculous, and likely one of the best in the nation. They were not good today, but they got better as the game progressed, as they did last game. I think that’s all we can ask of a group this young.

I thought Chavon Mceachern was our best back today. His vision is really good. I thought Carney got better with calling those misdirection runs today we ran so much last year, but we struggle to block them well. I thought he called a good game within those limitations.

Dana Dimmel’s group is much improved. Very much improved. They deserve credit for that. They will be very good in a couple years if he can survive these past two years, and I don’t think UTEP is in a financial situation to fire him this year regardless.

Our secondary had a bad day today. The takeaways were huge. In fact they were the difference in the game. We need that in order to be successful, and the 4/2/5 is designed to create those opportunities.

While we didn’t sack the qb as much as I would like, I did feel like we got some pressure today. Some of the times we got close it forced there guy to make some bad throws.

This game was not as close as the score indicated. They moved the ball a lot in garbage time.

Laskowski is an absolute dude. We scored 24 points in the final 20 minutes of the game. We needed to keep scoring at the end of the game and that’s exactly what we did.

A big chunk of the team cheering there when we scored and got penalty are redshirts and freshmen. Need more discipline for sure but love them being so into the game Even though they aren’t even dressed out.

2 Likes

I echo what most said. We played poorly and won easily. Let that sink in. Some of the play calling really is head scratching. Kick coverage needs to tighten up. Penalties need to be cleaned up too. At the end of the day a W is a W. Our depth is coming along. I really hope Deluca comes back!

2 Likes

Chris is still side-arming it, but he’s accurate, so I’m ok with it as long as we don’t need a really deep pass.