V for Vendetta

I just saw this movie. Any thoughts on it? I thought it was badass. Particularly loved the Thomas Jefferson stuff (the people shouldn’t fear their government; the government should fear the people).

Do you think V was a patriot or a terrorist?

he was a patriot, i believe, but definitely showed he would use terror as a means to draw attention to his views. it was a good movie. but he seemed to be kind of a brainwasher, and used his intelligence in an arrogant manor.

i believe i heard the people that made it were the same who made the matrix…those brothers (wochowski?) or whatever, seems you can only expect good things to come from them.

Haha, I thought it was a good movie, too, saw it the day it came out. Had some good ideas in it, most of which, you dont see in a main stream movie, so at least it was different. Although, I heard alot of ‘pure’ action movie enthusiasts didnt like it (it wasnt what they expected–not too ‘Matrix’ like).

He was probably both a patriot and a terrorist, but it mostly depends which side you were on…

sideshow, i posted this for ken who brought this up the other day, this is fairly well known in blogshphere review from a Libertarian aetheist…ruffled some feathers
http://www.libertyfilmfestival.com/libertas/?p=1241

I thought it was an excellent movie, definately reminds people you can only have so much crap shoved down your throat until you regergitate.(i don’t believe that was jefferson) I particularly liked the use of religion as a controlling factor, as it has been throughout many governments and with the religious right in ours. How can you be wrong if your side is infallible? Man has truly ruined western religion.

Spoken like a true Westerner. Good objective judgment.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago. Good movie. It has a good combination of action and associated plot that makes you think a little.

Speaking of movies, I just got back from Basic Instinct 2. Sharon Stone is still a good looking lady. That movie can get the heart pumping a little.

:smile:

[QUOTE=NinerOne;166860]sideshow, i posted this for ken who brought this up the other day, this is fairly well known in blogshphere review from a Libertarian aetheist…ruffled some feathers
http://www.libertyfilmfestival.com/libertas/?p=1241[/QUOTE]

I’ve never heard of that guy, and I can’t find one single mention of his being Libertarian. Lots of “conservative” mentions, but nothing Libertarian. There’s no links to any libertarian (or Libertarian) blogs or websites. There are lots of links to right wing or conservative websites. And I find it hard to believe that a Libertarian would bash this film as much as he did.

Can you provide me with a source of his alleged libertarianism? It just seems hard to believe.

[QUOTE=NINERcowbellplayer;166857]he was a patriot, i believe, but definitely showed he would use terror as a means to draw attention to his views. it was a good movie. i liked when she found out that it was actually him torturing her and how he was the one placing the letter there, but he seemed to be kind of a brainwasher, and used his intelligence in an arrogant manor.

i believe i heard the people that made it were the same who made the matrix…those brothers (wochowski?) or whatever, seems you can only expect good things to come from them.[/QUOTE]

The Wachovski’s wrote it, but their A.D. (assistant director) from the Matrix films directed it. I thought he did a great job.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;166888]I’ve never heard of that guy, and I can’t find one single mention of his being Libertarian. Lots of “conservative” mentions, but nothing Libertarian. There’s no links to any libertarian (or Libertarian) blogs or websites. There are lots of links to right wing or conservative websites. And I find it hard to believe that a Libertarian would bash this film as much as he did.

Can you provide me with a source of his alleged libertarianism? It just seems hard to believe.[/QUOTE]

actually thats a guest reviewer who calls himself, The Road warrior, would probably need to email them to find out who or what their politics are. I thought I read somewhere awhile back he was libertian, it is the “liberty film festivals” site. He does say he’s not a Christian in review also. around time of Superbowl this review was being spread around blogs, turned some heads.

The author of the book apparently got pretty upset with what they did with this movie and made them pull his name from credits. I haven’t seen it yet, this is just some of what I’ve read…it’ll be out on dvd within a month probably at rate they go now. I’m waiting to read a good philisophical review of this movie. It sounds like a post-modern nightmare.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117929587?categoryid=31&cs=1

Alan Moore, the author of the much admired graphic novel "V for Vendetta," disassociated himself from this production and had his name removed from the credits.

[QUOTE=NinerOne;166894] I thought I read somewhere awhile back he was libertian, it is the “liberty film festivals” site. [/QUOTE]

yeah but conservatives often think they’re pro-liberty too.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;166898]yeah but conservatives often think they’re pro-liberty too.[/QUOTE]

your groups “version” of “pro-liberty” you mean

my point is, just because a festival has “liberty” in the title doesn’t mean it’s run by libertarians.

but i stand by my comment and do not accept your amendment. but you probably guessed that.

[QUOTE=mineshaft;166883]Spoken like a true Westerner. Good objective judgment.[/QUOTE]

I’m picking up your sarcasm, and yes, i know, your laying it on pretty thick, please elaborate.

Actually the story was originally written by Alan Moore (who also wrote League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and published in graphic novel form back in the late 80s. He got so frustrated with the League movie that he has a policy of taking his name off of all of his comic books that go to the big screen in the future. If you thought the movie was good then read the original graphic novel, it really is outstanding. The movie was great but it really butchered the source material in a lot of ways. So I can understand why Mr. Moore wouldn’t want to be associated with it.

[QUOTE=HappyCamper49;166939]Actually the story was originally written by Alan Moore [/QUOTE]

right, and the Wachovskis wrote the screenplay. Although I haven’t read the comic, given Moore’s disassociation with it the film is more wachovski material than moore material

I haven’t seen it, but now that the 2nd poster gave away the ending, why would I want to.
I wouldn’t complain if they butchered my work. As long as I’m getting paid the big $$$$$$$$$$$$$, I don’t give a damn.