VCU, GMU & Butler to A10?

Sounds like Butler joining the A10 may be a possibility: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/53114/3-point-shot-3

Interesting even if the Niners aren’t long for the A10. This addition makes a whole lot of sense based on where Butler is (Indianapolis - metro area) and how good their program has been lately. Also would soften the blow a bit of Temple leaving and would give a natural rival to the western schools.

Would be one of the best teams they could land. VCU would be along those lines, however, A10 already has 1 team in Richmond.

Neither Butler nor VCU is coming to this hellhole of a conference.

It wouldn’t be such a hellhole if we were winning some of these conference games.

There are three things wrong with the A10:

1. TV contract sucks

2. We suck

3. Pulls 2nd tier refs

Really, that’s it. cannot even claim bad geography, cause it isnt nearly as bad as what we’re seeing these days.

By not sucking, we could make it a lot better. TV still needs to be fixed. Tough job with no Temple to sell.

Sorry guys on the iPhone so pasting a link is more trouble than it’s worth. The story is running on ESPN. Andy Katz is reporting on this.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7675856/butler-bulldogs-interested-joining-atlantic-10-sources-say

Could be a pretty big development, if true. I’d like to see it, operating under the assumption that Charlotte is an Atlantic-10 member for the foreseeable future. Wouldn’t mind seeing another, more Southern team, but this would be a really nice replacement for Temple.

That would be a great move for Butler and the A10. As bad as the TV contract is for the A10, I can’t imagine the Horizon League contract being superior.

I don’t understand the argument that the location sucks anyway.

DC, NYC and Philly are not exactly small time cities.

Butler would be a decent addition, but hopefully we’ll have a better conference home soon.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:5, topic:26518”]There are three things wrong with the A10:

1. TV contract sucks

2. We suck

3. Pulls 2nd tier refs

Really, that’s it. cannot even claim bad geography, cause it isnt nearly as bad as what we’re seeing these days.

By not sucking, we could make it a lot better. TV still needs to be fixed. Tough job with no Temple to sell.[/quote]This.

This would be a good move for Butler and the A10. Our days are clearly numbered in the A10, no matter where we end up. One home basketball game against Butler would be nice though.

A sportswriter in Green Bay says it’s '“a done deal”:

Greenbaypressgazette.com: Horizon League’s credibility will take hit with loss of Butler

Latest from the ol’ rumor mill…

Timesdispatch.com: UR’s Mooney likes idea of VCU, GMU, Butler in A-10

[quote=“Run49er, post:14, topic:26518”]Latest from the ol’ rumor mill…

Timesdispatch.com: UR’s Mooney likes idea of VCU, GMU, Butler in A-10[/quote]

I agree with him. All 3 make sense.

[quote=“Iron9er, post:15, topic:26518”][quote=“Run49er, post:14, topic:26518”]Latest from the ol’ rumor mill…

Timesdispatch.com: UR’s Mooney likes idea of VCU, GMU, Butler in A-10[/quote]

I agree with him. All 3 make sense.[/quote]

Are we sure we want to leave the A10 in basketball? The A10 will be pretty stout with those teams. It’s sort of like the A10 is now being recognized as top of the line and the PREMIERE NON POWER 6 CONFERENCE.

A10 has been the top non-BCS basketball conference since CUSA blew up and we came here. Note, I’m not saying we made it the best.

Yes. It has been the best conference since the CUSA implosion but it will be pulling even further ahead with the addition of the new teams even with the loss of Temple. I’m not convinced it is worth leaving the A10 to be in the same confeence with FIU, FAU, ULL, ULM, MTSU, etc. Their only recognized basketball program is Western Kentucky. Football is no better.

I do not want the Sun Belt unless its football only.

OK I get that people don’t want all sports. I am not exactly excited by it. My question to everyone though is if the alliance or the big east has told us we can’t make a jump from FCS into their league without prior FBS experience and the SunBelt demands all sports does that change your thinking?

For me I want us to stop thinking about the next 5 years and start thinking about the next 25-30 years. Thinking about the next 5 years is what put us in this position. I do recall hearing that we met with Big East officials and discussed what it would take to get into that league. For all we know they said you have to go get FBS experience first.