Victory!

I’ve developed somewhat of a love-hate relationship with the Greensboro News & Record for a number of reasons. They refused to interview me for editorial endorsement consideration back when I was running for office because I wasn’t a demopublican, but after a bunch of phone calls and a very visible online debate about the subject in the Greensboro blogosphere, they changed their policy.

Now, after weeks and months of me complaining about how the paper refuses to acknowledge the 49ers as “Charlotte” as opposed to UNCC, they have finally given in. I hand-delivered a copy of the athletic dept. press release about the name change to the editor in chief, John Robinson. Here is his response:

Rusty,

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you on the UNCC vs. Charlotte debate. Joe Sirera, our sports editor, has decided that you’re right and we’ll begin referring to the 49ers as playing for Charlotte. There are reasons that we didn’t before that I won’t bore you with. He’s preparing a communication to his staff of this change in style. Now, please cut us a little slack as we adjust to the change and have to break some habits. I’m sure we’ll refer to it the old way on occasion.

Thanks for questioning it.

Sincerely,
John Robinson

Victory is sweet

Thank you, Rusty, for your efforts! Finally logic prevailed!

[b]there are reasons that we didn't before that I won't bore you with. [/b]

hmmm?

[i]Originally posted by NinerOne[/i]@Mar 29 2005, 07:13 PM [b]

hmmm? [/b]

you’ld be surprised at how reluctant to change newspapers are at every facet of their business. its a miracle they started using computers in the first place.

[i]Originally posted by NinerOne[/i]@Mar 29 2005, 07:13 PM [b]

hmmm?[/b]

Probably has to do with UNCG grads. Maybe some of them work for the paper.

Great work, Sideshow!

One small victory at at time!

Good work my man!

I am sure there are reasons. One reason might be that outside of city of Charlotte (really not even in this city either), people don’t know what school you are talking about when you say Charlotte. That might be a justifiable reason they do not change the name in the Gboro N&R. I bet in Greensboro, people understand what “UNC-Charlotte” is a lot more than “Charlotte”(This is definitely the case in Raleigh. I agree they should change to Charlotte. I am just guessing this is one of their boring reasons. I am sorry I bored ya’ll with it.

Just another reason we need to officially change our name.

F#$% UNC

Vote Libertarian if the Candidates have fros!

What a grass roots campaign.

I heart Sideshow

Nicely done! B)

clt thinks this should never had to happen.

If someone of your stature were doing the petitioning rather than me, it would have happened much earlier. I try, but I’m no CLT.

I’d love to know the reason…it wouldn’t bore me at all :lol:

clt doesnt undap sideshow. clt thinks that the school should have adressed this.

Notice this takes place AFTER basketballball season.

One of the reasons the WS Journal will not acknowledge the change is because at least 2 unc-chapel hill grads on their staff complained, but their “official” excuse is concern of confusion with the Hornets/Bobcats.

The fact that acc fans saw us referred to as “Charlotte” when playing State did not hurt.

Sideshow, good work.

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Mar 30 2005, 02:18 PM [b]One of the reasons the WS Journal will not acknowledge the change is because at least 2 unc-chapel hill grads on their staff complained, but their "official" excuse is concern of confusion with the Hornets/Bobcats. [/b]
I said this in a prior post, but the General Manager of the Journal is a Charlotte grad. I know him very well and he would be more than welcome to listen to our concerns. His son plays on the baseball team and he is a member of the 49er Club, so he still has close ties to the Univ. His email address is [email]vtaylor@wsjournal.com[/email].

Great work.Now it’s time for the big change-THE UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTTE

[b]Now it's time for the big change-THE UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTTE[/b]

Amen bro