Video Board

Is that a video board being installed next to the main entrance roundabout? Certainly looks nice… but wouldn’t it better serve its purpose out by the main entrance where the general public will see it as they drive by?

It’s going there b/c you are able to slow down without impeding traffic that is entering the school (and at one time you were supposed to be able to pull off there), as well you are able to look at it. Also, would be a bit much out front with everything else.

It’s going there b/c you are able to slow down without impeding traffic that is entering the school (and at one time you were supposed to be able to pull off there), as well you are able to look at it. Also, would be a bit much out front with everything else.[/quote]

Makes sense. It would be nice thought if we had something to communicate with the outside world about on-campus events… since our campus is virtually cordoned off.

I wish we’d put something like this up on tryon street where the new entrance to CRI is going.

This thing is complete shit IMO. This board will only give us a community college feel. Why do we need this? Take the money that went into this to actually do some decent landscape work around Belk Tower or other horribly designed public spaces on campus.

This thing will age terribly.

This thing is complete s*** IMO. This board will only give us a community college feel. Why do we need this? Take the money that went into this to actually do some decent landscape work around Belk Tower or other horribly designed public spaces on campus.

This thing will age terribly.[/quote]

Agreed. Video Boards are generally tacky.

This thing is complete s*** IMO. This board will only give us a community college feel. Why do we need this? Take the money that went into this to actually do some decent landscape work around Belk Tower or other horribly designed public spaces on campus.

A lot of colleges are starting to install them, and I personally think it to be a positive. We’ve all wanted a better connected campus for quite some time, and I think this will help.

A lot of colleges are starting to install them, and I personally think it to be a positive. We’ve all wanted a better connected campus for quite some time, and I think this will help.[/quote]

I can see how it may create better awareness of campus events, but this can be done in a better way.

If we want a non-traditional approach to portraying information and creating unity, take a truly non-traditional approach, don’t frame a video screen in a neo-classical brick arrangement. You’ve got to be kidding me.

If I had a say, I would put one at the 2nd entrance off of University City, for Halton Arena, not necessarily UNC Charlotte that could list all upcoming events on campus, but once Basketball season started would be dedicated to Niner hoops.

Wouldn’t more people see the info if one was installed at the commuter lot entrance off John Kirk Drive?

Plus Charlotte/Mecklenburg (forget which one) has rules against digital signage beside the road. If it is beside the road it can only change images once every 24 hours or something like that.

What about billboards? Are they in a different classification? Because I could of swore there is on on I77 around Tyvolla that changes. I can’t remember for sure though.

What about billboards? Are they in a different classification? Because I could of swore there is on on I77 around Tyvolla that changes. I can’t remember for sure though.[/quote]

There are rules for billboards too. I don’t know how strict they are. The same regulations might apply to billboards, but the city might not be enforcing it.

Last I heard there was one planned for there as well, but likely located back off the road near the round about there. I don’t know if that is still on the table or not though, but at the time this one was planned there were talks to put one there as well.

This is the BEST idea I’ve heard in quite a while…well done.

People in America still haven’t figured out traffic circles. Is it a good idea to put it next to the traffic circle? I wish people would learn that:

When they put one at CRI, it will be FOR CRI. It will list CRI events first and maybe Athletic Department events second. The same arrangement will be done on the one at the main entrance. There you will see Poetry Slam 2011 advertised beside basketball games and SGA meetings.

I myself am impatient to see a formal University sign put up at CRI. I can’t tell you so many times I’ve overheard idiots at Starbucks, Kohl’s or Bloom asking each other “what’s all those buildings over there? Doctor’s offices?” I realize that the soonest a “nice” entrance sign would be put up is after they build the Portal Building but you would think with the new service road to the back of EPIC that they wouldn’t use the main road for construction so much. The least they could do is dig up the old main entrance sign and run a power cord out to it.

What about billboards? Are they in a different classification? Because I could of swore there is on on I77 around Tyvolla that changes. I can’t remember for sure though.[/quote]

There are rules for billboards too. I don’t know how strict they are. The same regulations might apply to billboards, but the city might not be enforcing it.[/quote]

I believe video billboards can only change four times per minute. I could be wrong, but when I looked to buy space for a former company, I believe each ad gets no less than 15 secs per minute.

http://www.publicrelations.uncc.edu/campusnews/current/featurePhoto.html

A lot of colleges are starting to install them, and I personally think it to be a positive. We’ve all wanted a better connected campus for quite some time, and I think this will help.[/quote]

I can see how it may create better awareness of campus events, but this can be done in a better way.

If we want a non-traditional approach to portraying information and creating unity, take a truly non-traditional approach, don’t frame a video screen in a neo-classical brick arrangement. You’ve got to be kidding me.[/quote]

Agreed