Villanova asked by Big East to join conference in football...

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20100910_BIG_UPS_.html

Would put the Big East at nine football schools. Not surprised they didn’t ask Temple, since the Owls would’ve probably wanted full membership.

Any repurcussions that could affect Charlotte football’s future?

Paging 49rfootballnow

First and foremost they went with someone already in conference, but after that, this is proof that the Big east expansion is about television markets more so than on field success.

[quote=“J Felt, post:1, topic:23876”]http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20100910_BIG_UPS_.html

Would put the Big East at nine football schools. Not surprised they didn’t ask Temple, since the Owls would’ve probably wanted full membership.

Any repurcussions that could affect Charlotte football’s future?[/quote]

NO - Charlotte is 6 years from chasing any high major conf.

This is Villanova’s put-up-or-shut-up moment for their Big East future. If they don’t take the offer, they’ll be banished to the leftovers league once the 12th football school is added. Fine by me, the longer this thing drags out the better chance we have to wind up there.

I think this may start a split, to be honest.

They’re trying to break the 8/8 system they have now… if Nova says no, I don’t see the Big East staying together very long.

Big East is out of its mind. Villanova doesn’t even have a home field.

They have asked, but Villanova has not accepted. Nova and GTown were both offered at the same time as UConn and both turned it down then. Where do they play? Franklin Field? I don’t see Temple moving out of Lincoln Financial. There’s a MLS? Soccer stadium 25 miles from campus. I just don’t see Nova’s financial/infrastructure situation being all that different.

If they do and move out of the CAA that’s more reason for the northern CAA schools to want out, but it would open more space for Charlotte. If they play BE football look for BE expansion talk to die again till someone else comes poaching their teams.

This.

Time is not on our side, but this would seem to indicate that they’d prefer the Philly (or perhaps Charlotte) tv market over taking a team like ECU.

I don’t think this particular move is about TV markets. Its about asking Villanova to “take one for the team”. The BE, while having the best BB conference and a top for BCS football conference, is one of the most disfuctional conferences in the offices so to speak. The basketball schools want nothing to change and the football schools want a 9th member to make scheduling easier. Villanova is the compromise. They will still vote with the BB schools while giving the football schools an 8th conference game so they’ll shut up about how hard it is to schedule 5 OOC games.

If anything this is a snub of Memphis, ECU, Temple and UCF. They’d rather have a doormat they know then risk bringing in one of these “lesser” academic institutions. The BE is a disfunctional creature. The football schools won’t leave because they aren’t as pretty for future BB TV contracts without the BB only schools and the BB only schools know this, and use it against the football schools. They are stable for now and Nova fixes the largest “crack” in their foundation with the least amount of disturbance. They’re not interested in fixing the long-term issues so long as they can fix the little ones and still get paid.

Villanova appears to have room to expand if they want to. It’s going to take some serious cash, but their current site appears to be usable.

I really haven’t followed expansion to closely but this seems like a save face move for later on down the road.

Offer the current basketball only schools the chance to move football up to the Big East. If they decline later on when you kick them out to form a football megaconference you catch less heat because you essentially offered them the chance to stay and they declined. IMO they are asking Villanova with the expectation that they will turn down the offer. Will Villanova be like UConn this time and accept or turn it down again knowing that down the line they will likely be looking for somewhere else to play basketball. Given the direction college sports is heading I think it would be foolish for them to turn down the offer this time.

makes perfect sense to me. if you’re gonna invite a new team to the football conference, why not invite team you know will have to play at your place every year. :slight_smile:

Not sure which of those two buildings are the football center but the larger building will have to be torn down. I also see a road on the left that will either need to be moved or closed. All that equals money, money a private school might not have to invest in athletics. If Nova could add 22 scholarships and keep rolling it would be much easier than having to rebuild what they have. IDK, all I know is that it was an issue in the past for them.

[quote=“cdsniner, post:12, topic:23876”]I really haven’t followed expansion to closely but this seems like a save face move for later on down the road.

Offer the current basketball only schools the chance to move football up to the Big East. If they decline later on when you kick them out to form a football megaconference you catch less heat because you essentially offered them the chance to stay and they declined. IMO they are asking Villanova with the expectation that they will turn down the offer. Will Villanova be like UConn this time and accept or turn it down again knowing that down the line they will likely be looking for somewhere else to play basketball. Given the direction college sports is heading I think it would be foolish for them to turn down the offer this time.[/quote]

Yeah, if the football schools could dictate to the BB schools that could work; but the BB schools have just as much power as the FB schools. The FB schools can leave, but they lose the Big East name and postseason play for their non-football teams for three years if they do. They also will take a hit in whatever TV contract they sign for basketball as well. This is why, if Nova can get the money, this makes more sense for everyone then bringing in a new school.

It’s also important to note that the BB schools may, in exchange for the loss of Nova from “their side” of the voting bloc, ask for two more basketball schools to be added to the conference. Two catholic schools from the A10 come to mind.

Not sure which of those two buildings are the football center but the larger building will have to be torn down. I also see a road on the left that will either need to be moved or closed. All that equals money, money a private school might not have to invest in athletics. If Nova could add 22 scholarships and keep rolling it would be much easier than having to rebuild what they have. IDK, all I know is that it was an issue in the past for them.[/quote]

Not to mention the money they would have to pay Dan Brody.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5553575

What’s so complicated about it?

The “Providence Mob” who runs the Big East only cares about basketball.

What a problem to have, right?

If Nova says no I know one funky haired little lady that will say yes before the Big East Commissioner could finish his sentence.

Temple really hurt themselves when they had let the football program get so bad that they were kicked out of the BE Football Conference back in 2004. Probably could have gotten a full BE membership if not for that.

Anyway, the rumors of TU to C-USA - either for football-only or as a full member - have cooled down after being a hot topic a few weeks ago when everything was blowing up in the MW and WAC.