Wake Forest 12/6/18

Can we redshirt everyone & just not play the rest of the season?

1 Like

Listening to post game on ESPN 730 and Matt sounds pretty confident that Sunday’s afternoon tilt vs USF will get played in spite of the forecast!

If usf gets into town, the game will be played regardless of whether there are any fans there.

True. I remember driving out to the now demolished Charlotte Coliseum off of Tyvola to watch the Niners play UAB after a winter storm had hit. Of course, I had the expectation that we would win the game!

Anyway, just watched the condensed version of tonight’s game on YouTube. Lotta easy baskets for the Deacs!

Had alot of fun at the game, even though the outcome was terrible. We had a good group there. On to the next. Future is so bright

So optimistic

With the way Wake has struggled against subpar teams this year, I expected this to be more competitive. All those things that appeared to start clicking against Charleston were non existent tonight. Forget the half court pack line defense, we couldn’t even get back on defense half the time. This was awfu

Bright spot was Brandon Younger. Besides Davis, he appeared to be the only one with the skill and composure to compete last night.

1 Like

This is just the way it is going to go this season and some of next season.

i don’t expect this sort of performance next season. this season, we will have plenty but next year is no excuses. we will have a lot more experience, a year in the system, depth and length. we should also have a lot more shooting ability and hopefully a shot blocker. i talked myself off the ledge a bit. no excuse for last night but guys like mcgill should be playing for charlotte, let alone starting. we are playing a couple walk ons. need to continue to learn the system, improve and i will be optimistic about next season but the team should not be happy about last night and i imagine sanchez will let them know about it.

^Your next year expectations are after losing Davis and relying on incoming freshman contributing in a big way. That’s not realistic imo.

2 Likes

We do have three guys that are not playing this year from RS or transferring which will help.

Everything will help, but I am being realistic. The RS guys are a FR (No College Games), SO (1 season), and JR (minimum minutes in two seasons). If everyone stays we will realistically have 5 new FR (1 RS), we have 5 SO(1 RS), and 3 JRs (1 RS). That is still a young team and I fully expect to see them fall on their faces once in a while. They should be better, but still young. If some leave, which they always do that opens up scholarships for the next season, but it reduces your effectiveness for the season you are in.

One thing that I believe will make next year better is that Sanchez had to spend time unteaching those players that were already here, and then teach them his approach. That is behind us now. When the new players join this summer they can immediately start integrating into the Charlotte program.

I know this may be an unpopular opinion, I think JD has bogged down the offense a good bit at times this year.

i get what youre saying but he may also feel like he has to do a lot in order for us to win whihc may lead to a lot of those to’s and poor decisions.

I think for our offense to score, we almost need JD to enter Hero mode. It is what it is. We need more crisp movement from guys that don’t have the ball. No one right now is really showing to be a reliable/consistent 2nd option, which makes sense due to the youth. I think this team really needs a guy like Bertram who can shoot lights out from outside. That said, I’m glad he’s redshirting.

1 Like

Agreed. To me, it feels like JD is waiting too long to assert himself in the game. It’s like the first 30 minutes he’s holding back trying to give the young ones space to for them to hopefully step-up and find themselves. By the time he really asserts himself, it’s too late.

2 Likes

Maybe he’s being coached to play this way to get others involved.

BTW: what happened to Martin last night? His numbers were disappointing.

We run two offensive sets and Davis is the primary on both. The one we run 80% of the time is meant to leave Davis as the primary decision maker. After he gets the high screen, he either takes it himself, makes the pass to the #5 rolling off the screen to the basket, or hits the guy in the corner for a 3 pointer.

What’s happening is that the defense now knows this is all we run and they cover the pick and roll really well. All we can do at that point is reverse to the other side of the court and run it again. It looks “clogged“, but it’s really just ran over and over and over again and is easy to defend.

Edit: I have watched some highlights from Virginia games and they run this same set a lot as well. The difference is that there are play makers to continuously find creative ways to move and score the basketball out of it. What we do looks the same every time. When they run it, you can see how better players literally create better options and opportunities.