Wakey-Leaks...Curious if we take necessary security steps in our programs

The wakey-leaks scandal leads me to wonder if we take necessary steps within our programs to deter security breaches. Today’s athletics in b-ball and football are high stakes. And we’ve seen how far programs will go towards getting an advantage.

I would assume (but not be surprised to find the contrary) that we build all game planning and playbooks on isolated networks to prevent hacking. All plans and playbooks should be obviously marked with Proprietary markings. Those should be obvious. Less obvious, I would hope that everything is signed and accounted for and all player’s, coaches, or anyone with need to know can only access them in certain areas and everything signed in and out, with clearly marked pages, but this appears to not have been used at Wake. I highly doubt that many, if any, programs go that far. But, they should.

I know that would be onerous on players to who have only one place to study materials. However, with millions of dollars at stake, it would be tempting for players that come from humble beginnings to be compromised. Especially if they are disgruntled over pt. Perhaps, I’m wrong and we do take plenty of appropriate steps to protect info.

Does it really matter?

The secret to beating us is scheduling us at JRS. So far, that’s been a guaranteed victory for FBS teams.

The AD doesn’t like worrying about them chat pages and the world wide web. Its all just a fad anyways.

When we played Rice I knew their offensive game plan, throw sideline screen passes all afternoon, some good that did us.

I think it can give a certain amount of advantage. I think that college kids are still prone to losing their composure. If they see something they’ve seen before their less likely to lose their composure once they get burned. It gives the coach a chance to reiterate that they’ve been prepared well for certain plays. College football is still fickle and players respond with desperation. So any small advantage can change an entire game. Reviewing game video does the same. I would guess early in season or prepping for a bowl game would be the best opportunities.

I still believe that at the end of the day, prepping your players with a sense that they have control over their own destiny is the most vital attribute to a player/team. Belief that whatever they do has the ultimate say in whether you win or lose. Basically confidence that no matter how the other team responds, you have control over you’re own destiny.

We can’t figure out how to sell and market the most popular sport in the nation. Let’s conquer that before we worry about our security protocols.

sometimes you have to control the things that you can control. Not sure anyone has control over everything in the program. Although I may agree with you.

clt is curious why Putin is interested in wake football?

Im pretty sure Yahoo runs our firewall, we are secure.

On the serious though, I hope this doesn’t lead to coaches being even more tight lipped. One of the things I like about Lambert us his straightforwardness when at functions and when you talk to him one on one.

[quote=“chidave, post:10, topic:30693”]Im pretty sure Yahoo runs our firewall, we are secure.

On the serious though, I hope this doesn’t lead to coaches being even more tight lipped. One of the things I like about Lambert us his straightforwardness when at functions and when you talk to him one on one.[/quote]

clt says aol will never be hacked.

[quote=“9ballNiner, post:1, topic:30693”]The wakey-leaks scandal leads me to wonder if we take necessary steps within our programs to deter security breaches. Today’s athletics in b-ball and football are high stakes. And we’ve seen how far programs will go towards getting an advantage.

I would assume (but not be surprised to find the contrary) that we build all game planning and playbooks on isolated networks to prevent hacking. All plans and playbooks should be obviously marked with Proprietary markings. Those should be obvious. Less obvious, I would hope that everything is signed and accounted for and all player’s, coaches, or anyone with need to know can only access them in certain areas and everything signed in and out, with clearly marked pages, but this appears to not have been used at Wake. I highly doubt that many, if any, programs go that far. But, they should.

I know that would be onerous on players to who have only one place to study materials. However, with millions of dollars at stake, it would be tempting for players that come from humble beginnings to be compromised. Especially if they are disgruntled over pt. Perhaps, I’m wrong and we do take plenty of appropriate steps to protect info.[/quote]

1. I see this as an isolated incident of a color commentator gone rogue (unless I’ve been severely misinformed). I don’t see Kevin Donnaly doing this. Bobby Rosinski still might have some App State homer in him (Sarcasm).

2. Your commentary is about high stakes. Not trying to self shame or anything here, but who on planet earth is going to cheat with Charlotte’s game plans? Not many games involving us are “high stakes” these days.

[quote=“ImfromClayton, post:12, topic:30693”][quote=“9ballNiner, post:1, topic:30693”]The wakey-leaks scandal leads me to wonder if we take necessary steps within our programs to deter security breaches. Today’s athletics in b-ball and football are high stakes. And we’ve seen how far programs will go towards getting an advantage.

I know that would be onerous on players to who have only one place to study materials. However, with millions of dollars at stake, it would be tempting for players that come from humble beginnings to be compromised. Especially if they are disgruntled over pt. Perhaps, I’m wrong and we do take plenty of appropriate steps to protect info.[/quote]

1. I see this as an isolated incident of a color commentator gone rogue (unless I’ve been severely misinformed). I don’t see Kevin Donnaly doing this. Bobby Rosinski still might have some App State homer in him (Sarcasm).

2. Your commentary is about high stakes. Not trying to self shame or anything here, but who on planet earth is going to cheat with Charlotte’s game plans? Not many games involving us are “high stakes” these days.[/quote]

I’m not sure our annual athletic budget these days. But I would expect it to be $15 million or so. Basketball and football performance pushing majority of our proceeds (donors and attendance). Conference performance and our performance pushing tv contracts. Student activities fees really not tied to performance. And most of our income coming from large donations from individuals not really focused on performance. I would call the budget high stakes. Whether $millions are high enough stakes, I don’t know. It seems to me that losing any advantage for something that essentially costs nothing, is worth it. Keep you information off any network. Control who looks at it.

[quote=“9ballNiner, post:13, topic:30693”][quote=“ImfromClayton, post:12, topic:30693”][quote=“9ballNiner, post:1, topic:30693”]The wakey-leaks scandal leads me to wonder if we take necessary steps within our programs to deter security breaches. Today’s athletics in b-ball and football are high stakes. And we’ve seen how far programs will go towards getting an advantage.

2. Your commentary is about high stakes. Not trying to self shame or anything here, but who on planet earth is going to cheat with Charlotte’s game plans? Not many games involving us are “high stakes” these days.[/quote]

I’m not sure our annual athletic budget these days. But I would expect it to be $15 million or so. Basketball and football performance pushing majority of our proceeds (donors and attendance). Conference performance and our performance pushing tv contracts. Student activities fees really not tied to performance. And most of our income coming from large donations from individuals not really focused on performance. I would call the budget high stakes. Whether $millions are high enough stakes, I don’t know. It seems to me that losing any advantage for something that essentially costs nothing, is worth it. Keep you information off any network. Control who looks at it.[/quote]

33+ Million 22 of which is a subsidy from school funds - as of 2014-2015

Lesson Learned: Do not let former disgruntled assistant coaches broadcast your games or have any other type of access to your game plans.

We should hop on this. No former coaches in administrative positions. Would solve our biggest issue.