Watkins to App. State?

Happy Easter. A friend from Winston called me and said local paper there reporting that Melvin Watkins is a candidate for App. State position. Wow, would
Wat coach against us? Hmmm.

Also yesterday, sources said that Melvin Watkins, a native of Reidsville and former head coach at UNC Charlotte who is now the associate head coach at Missouri, is a highly regarded name on the ASU’s search committee list of candidates. The source said that Watkins has not been interviewed.

First post for Ken.49er? Hmmm. Something’s funny here I think, eh?

That would make me angry!

He would be a good hire for them imho.

Although it would be odd for us…

The o had a small blurb about this yesterday. I love Wat. He is a NINER icon. He was a HS center who became a NINER, played initially as a swing man, but took us to the Final Four as a PG. But I don’t care who coaches against the NINERS…I want to KICK THEIR ASS!!!

Last I checked Wat is a fine recruiter, too. More competition in the State of North Carolina.

Last I checked Wat is a fine recruiter, too. More competition in the State of North Carolina.

If Melvin starts winning Charlotte targets to App State, then he needs to be back coaching our team.

Honestly, I think App State should go after Bart Lundy. He’s not the flashiest name, but it he’s a good coach, and he would almost certainly bring Jay Canty along with him.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;401205]If Melvin starts winning Charlotte targets to App State, then he needs to be back coaching our team.

Honestly, I think App State should go after Bart Lundy. He’s not the flashiest name, but it he’s a good coach, and he would almost certainly bring Jay Canty along with him.[/QUOTE]

It’d be tough to get canned in the Big South only to up with a much better job

If Melvin starts winning Charlotte targets to App State, then he needs to be back coaching our team.

Honestly, I think App State should go after Bart Lundy. He’s not the flashiest name, but it he’s a good coach, and he would almost certainly bring Jay Canty along with him.

Melvin would NEVER work for Judy Rose again

[QUOTE=metro;401220]Melvin would NEVER work for Judy Rose again[/QUOTE]

Every problem has a solution. I would love to see Melvin back here. Think of what he has learned since he left here.

I’ve been flamed for this in the past, but I would love to have Wat back here. He’s a good recruiter. His weakness was defensive discipline. When Lutz was hired, many were pleased with what a great defensive coach he was. Man, how times have changed.

I just read Kevin Nickelberry (sp?) resigned from Hampton last week.

Every problem has a solution. I would love to see Melvin back here. Think of what he has learned since he left here.

Does that mean we get rid of Rose?

I have no issue with Watkins to App State, the man has to make a living, and if he can help make ASU competitive against Davidson then I’m all for it. Anyone who can dethrone Davidson in SoCon is a friend of mine.

Watkins has long wanted another head coaching job. He’s got a great job as an assistant at Missouri and probably take a decent pay cut by going to Appalachian. If he saved some of the cash that he made at Texas A&M it wouldn’t matter though.

The irony would be that UNC Charlotte would be the alma mater of 19% of the UNC system’s basketball coaches which is something to be proud of!

[QUOTE=s9er;401218]It’d be tough to get canned in the Big South only to up with a much better job[/QUOTE]

canty isnt a good enough player to make a move like that simply for one player.

[QUOTE=amnesiac;401233]I just read Kevin Nickelberry (sp?) resigned from Hampton last week.[/QUOTE]

It’s Nickleberry, but yeah he is gone. looks fishy…

“Hardy said Nickelberry resigned to pursue other job opportunities. Nickelberry has made no official comment, other than thanking HU for his first head-coaching job in a release issued last Wednesday, and hasn’t returned several messages.”

I know there endowment took a hit so maybe they couldn’t afford him, but it just does not smell right. They did however hire his assistant as an interim head coach for next year.

Hampton must be having some issues. The women’s coach was terminated on March 31, the day his yearly contract ended. They hired the same day, the coach of Hampton High School as the coach, who has no college experience. He has won 2 state titles however.

[QUOTE=UNCCShannon;401237]Does that mean we get rid of Rose?

I have no issue with Watkins to App State, the man has to make a living, and if he can help make ASU competitive against Davidson then I’m all for it. Anyone who can dethrone Davidson in SoCon is a friend of mine.[/QUOTE]

If Judy Rose goes and we don’t hire Paul Griffin, Dubois needs to have pickaxes in his auto!

[QUOTE=amnesiac;401233]I just read Kevin Nickelberry (sp?) resigned from Hampton last week.[/QUOTE]

Talk about a recruiter.