WH on 2012-13 A-10 Hoops

WH has started posting his picks, etc. on the A-10 Board.

Of particular interest:

[ul][li]Picks Niners to finish 12th[/li]
[li]Picks Braswell #2 best PF and 2nd team All-Conference[/li]
[li]Picks Henry All-Conference Defensive team[/li][/ul]
Links:

[b]Thoughts on new season

All-league picks

Best point guards

Best shooting guards

Best small forwards

Best power forwards[/b]

More…

Best A-10 Centers

Plus Major comes in at #13 on this list:

Ranking the A-10 Coaches

[quote=“Run49er, post:2, topic:26972”]More…

Best A-10 Centers

Ranking the A-10 Coaches[/quote]

JUDY, JUDY, JUDY !!!

Henry and Nickerson make this list…

Rising Sophomores

[quote=“trollfool, post:3, topic:26972”][quote=“Run49er, post:2, topic:26972”]More…

Best A-10 Centers

Ranking the A-10 Coaches[/quote]

JUDY, JUDY, JUDY !!![/quote]

so some random guy puts major low on the list and judy made a mistake. i have serious questions about major still but he has been here two years. if i dont see improvement this year i will be right there with you calling him out but it seems you want him to fail.

[quote=“Run49er, post:4, topic:26972”]Henry and Nickerson make this list…

Rising Sophomores[/quote]Guess he doesn’t know our players can’t improve.

[quote=“2k, post:6, topic:26972”][quote=“Run49er, post:4, topic:26972”]Henry and Nickerson make this list…

Rising Sophomores[/quote]Guess he doesn’t know our players can’t improve.[/quote]

In his defense, since we have been in the league we really haven’t give much evidence that growing players is our forte.

[quote=“Run49er, post:4, topic:26972”]Henry and Nickerson make this list…

Rising Sophomores[/quote]

Henry is on that list, Nickerson and Williams are listed as others to watch. I really think for us to be good either Nickerson or TW need to make a big jump and become a productive starter for us, while being able to hit some shots. We’ll see if it happens. Excited to see all the guys (especially the new ones in a couple weeks).

[quote=“Iron9er, post:8, topic:26972”][quote=“Run49er, post:4, topic:26972”]Henry and Nickerson make this list…

Rising Sophomores[/quote]

Henry is on that list, Nickerson and Williams are listed as others to watch. I really think for us to be good either Nickerson or TW need to make a big jump and become a productive starter for us, while being able to hit some shots. We’ll see if it happens. Excited to see all the guys (especially the new ones in a couple weeks).

totally agree. they both have a lot of upside and could make the difference between another disappointing year and the tournament.[/quote]

Well, if it were anyone other than WH, then “random” might fit. Bottom line is that whether or not you agree with WH’s annual predictions (and he’d be the first to say it’s OK to disagree), no one knows A-10 hoops better he does. And that includes the folks in Newport News, as well as the guys at CCT!

Anyway, based on that we’ve done the past couple of seasons, can’t see placing Major anywhere but near the bottom of a ranking of league coaches. Doesn’t mean I agree that Judy made a mistake since I think we’ll continue our upward progress and finish at least .500 overall this season and find ourselves playing in Brooklyn in mid-March.

WH makes his picks for those teams that could exceed expectations.

Potential darkhorses

More…

Butler - Noncon Forecast

Latest…

[b]CHARLOTTE - NONCON FORECAST

Dayton - Noncon Forecast

Duquesne - Noncon Forecast

Fordham - Noncon Forecast

GW - Noncon Forecast

La Salle - Noncon Forecast

UMass - Noncon Forecast

URI - Noncon Forecast[/b]

Plus this…

Best rivalries in the league

The biggest rival we currently have in my mind is me versus my apathy for the league.

The rest of the noncons…

[b]Richmond - Noncon Forecast

St. Bonaventure - Noncon Forecast

St. Joe’s - Noncon Forecast

Saint Louis - Noncon Forecast

Temple - Noncon Forecast

VCU - Noncon Forecast

Xavier - Noncon Forecast[/b]

More…

[b]Top 5 A-10 backcourts

League forecast, preliminary (OOC)[/b]

Some thoughts and observations from WH as the season begins…

Dribs and drabs

Nice comments about the Niners:

CHARLOTTE has been retooled. The team is bigger, more athletic and deeper than it’s been in years. I bet the Niners will pull several upsets this year, especially at home.

The frontline is not explosive athletically – aside from the sophomore Nickerson – but the Niners have four bruisers who hit the boards hard and can score inside. Two are freshmen.

Chris Braswell is going to have a great senior year. He really has perfected the craft of using his body to score inside even though he’s not a bigtime leaper. Great touch, too.

I expect the Niners to play physical defense, be tough on the glass and lean on people offensively. The defense will need some time to come together, though. There are still too many breakdowns among the younger guys trying to figure out when to switch or whether to double team. Small, quick guards will give them some trouble.

The big weakness I see right now, aside from lack of experience, is outside shooting. The Niners have hit just four treys in two games (4-20). I don’t see a pure shooter on the team who’s likely to get major minutes.

This team will have trouble scoring at times against teams that can shut down their inside game and limit penetration. Pierria Henry is most effective when he drives and dishes.

CHARLOTTE and RICHMOND