What are they building?

I’m sure someone on here is in the know.
What is being built on the side closest to campus of the N. Tryon and Mallard Creek Church Road intersection?

Seems like too big of an area they cleared out to be just a gas station or Eckerd.

Anyone here have any idea what’s going in?

I was curious about that too.

Me too.

There were plans a year or two ago to build a “big box” retail center on that corner, with Target being the anchor. In all likelihood they are clearing the land now so they may have the center up once the economy is on the rebound.

There were plans a year or two ago to build a "big box" retail center on that corner, with Target being the anchor. In all likelihood they are clearing the land now so they may have the center up once the economy is on the rebound.

Wow, there is a Target about a mile from there already.

I am completely dumbfounded by how the city lets this happen, especially in an area they are putting a friggin light rail station in.

I live beside that space. Its way too small for a Target. At least the space they have cleared so far. A Target would be way too big there and would be too much beside the greenway. I would be willing to bet that will be a gas station.

I live beside that space. Its way too small for a Target. At least the space they have cleared so far. A Target would be way too big there and would be too much beside the greenway. I would be willing to bet that will be a gas station.

Yeah, it’s a good bit of land that they’ve cleared, but it is still wayyy too small for a Target. A lot of the land around there they cannot touch because it’s greenway space.

I guess it will probably be yet another gas staition.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;379829]Yeah, it’s a good bit of land that they’ve cleared, but it is still wayyy too small for a Target. A lot of the land around there they cannot touch because it’s greenway space.

I guess it will probably be yet another gas staition.[/QUOTE]

That area, while not owned by the U, is listed on the U masterplan as an enviromentally “valuable” area. The greenway and Mallard Creek would limit anything in size in that space. Every intersection needs 3 gas stations and a fast food place, right?

It’s a medical plaza. I can’t remember for who though. A friend of mine works at the hospital up the street and told me that that is what they are building in there.

[QUOTE=Niner National;379840]It’s a medical plaza. I can’t remember for who though. A friend of mine works at the hospital up the street and told me that that is what they are building in there.[/QUOTE]

Well that’s a good thing I suppose.

Well that's a good thing I suppose.

Depends how poorly they do it.

I think it might be for Ortho Carolina, but I’m not at all sure about that.

UNC-CH Charlotte School of Medicine

Knowing the city, it’s some sort of frivolous cash-guzzling enterprise. I just hope it isn’t somehow related to increasing the capabilities of CMPD or the Mecklenburg DA, that’d actually be useful.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;379831]Every intersection needs 3 gas stations and a fast food place, right?[/QUOTE]
You forgot a Walgreens.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;379879]You forgot a Walgreens.[/QUOTE]

Where are you going to put the churches?