What has Chapel Hill/Raliegh actually done?

It is often said UNC/NCSU/Chapel Hill/Raliegh intentionally try to hinder the progress of our school. To anyone who doesn’t buy it or hasn’t heard about it, it sounds like we are whinning. I’m kind of playing devil’s advocate here, but I’m sick of hearing this called whinning. That we are like the annoying little brother.

But I’m also sick of hearing these claims and not hearing about a ton of evidence. I’m hoping the lack of evidence I’ve seen is because it hasn’t been discussed and not because we are actually just whiners.

So if you do have evidence to support these claims, please post it. Anything works, even conversations although obviously those are quite questionable. I’ll keep track of the stuff so we can get a real idea of the truth and inform people. [B]

This is the time to put up or shut up.[/B] If people who really believe we are hindered by these entities can’t fill this thread, then we need to stop going on about it because it just makes us look stupid.

Entries:

-Article 1
Spangler and Friday.

Made an uninvited visit to our campus to talk about football.

Direct answer to question of whether we should get football:
“if you want football, thats why we have Chapel Hill and State”

UNPROVEN: Whether they came by themselves or were recommended to do so.

-Article 2
Funding

Need solid figures for the past decade or so. Someone please find.

Also, there is that $150 Mil “Science Building” they got while complaining about us getting a $50 Mil one.

-Article 3
Chapel Hill School of Medicine campus in Charlotte.

Why is this bad?

[U]TOTALLY UNPROVEN[/U]

-Diet Pepsi Tournament of Champions
We won in 1992. NCSU was in this tournament and lost in the opening round. We were not invited back the next year.

It is claimed that UNC had a roll in keeping us out. Need real proof.

-CUSA Membership
Don’t know the exact details ([metro] will probe who knows) but its well rumored how much our days in CUSA were not appreciated statewide.

Article 1

Spangler and Friday. I’m sure they came up with the idea of coming here and expressing their opinions ALL BY THEMSELVES!

It is often said UNC/NCSU/Chapel Hill/Raliegh intentionally try to hinder the progress of our school. To anyone who doesn't buy it or hasn't heard about it, it sounds like we are whinning. I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here, but I'm sick of hearing this called whinning. That we are like the annoying little brother.

But I’m also sick of hearing these claims and not hearing about a ton of evidence. I’m hoping the lack of evidence I’ve seen is because it hasn’t been discussed and not because we are actually just whiners.

So if you do have evidence to support these claims, please post it. Anything works, even conversations although obviously those are quite questionable. I’ll keep track of the stuff so we can get a real idea of the truth and inform people. [B]

This is the time to put up or shut up.[/B] If people who really believe we are hindered by these entities can’t fill this thread, then we need to stop going on about it because it just makes us look stupid.

Spangler - Friday

direct answer to question:

Someone should find and post the per student spending figures from the state too.

Also, there is that $150 Mil “Science Building” they got while complaining about us getting a $50 Mil one.

AND OF COURSE: THE CHAPEL HILL SCHOOL OF MEDICINE - CHARLOTTE CAMPUS!

we won the 1993 Diet Pepsi Tourny of Champions with Depaul, Alabama, UNC

[B]the next year they FORBID us from playing in our own cit[/B]y

we won the 1993 Diet Pepsi Tourny of Champions with Depaul, Alabama, UNC

the next year they FORBID us from playing in our own city

Please elaborate. Do you mean they didn’t allow us in that tournament anymore? How could UNC keep us out and can you prove it?

[QUOTE=metro;396926]we won the 1993 Diet Pepsi Tourny of Champions with Depaul, Alabama, UNC

[B]the next year they FORBID us from playing in our own cit[/B]y[/QUOTE]

It was December 6-7, 1991, and it was NCSU in the tourney (lost to Alabama) instead of UNC-CH. We beat DePaul and then Alabama.

Please elaborate. Do you mean they didn't allow us in that tournament anymore? How could UNC keep us out and can you prove it?

100% ABSOLUTE- hard to prove now since the internet was not turned on then, so there is no link.

They owned the rights to the tourny. So it was basically their invatational. They wanted no part of Jarvis.

It was December 6-7, 1991, and it was NCSU in the tourney (lost to Alabama) instead of UNC-CH. We beat DePaul and then Alabama.

was it? or was it USC? Dont remember State there.

[QUOTE=metro;396931]was it? or was it USC? Dont remember State there.[/QUOTE]

The media guide does not tell me who Alabama beat before playing us in the 1991 Tourney, but I believe one of college roommates told me that is was NCSU. I was not at the tourney, as it was the year before I arrived at Charlotte, but they went and were telling me about Henry and Sprewell.

The tourney you are thinking of was in December of 1996 and was called the Pepsi Challenge. We lost to South Carolina, and then USC. We should have beaten both of them. Had we beaten South Carolina in the first game, we would have played UNC-CH in the title game.

clt recomends you read this: http://www.amazon.com/Charlotte-UNC-Growing-Up-Together/dp/0945344023/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238290131&sr=1-9

Spangler - Friday

direct answer to question:

This is great evidence of the favoritism shown towards Chapel Hill/Raleigh and the ignorance shown towards anyone else. The only North Carolina college football program that has been reliably decent recently has been Wake Forest, not UNC or State. I also think that ECU is a better program than Chapel Hill or Raleigh. I hope that they crush the tar holes this fall.

100% ABSOLUTE- hard to prove now since the internet was not turned on then, so there is no link.

They owned the rights to the tourny. So it was basically their invatational. They wanted no part of Jarvis.

As X said, UNC was not in the tournament the year we won (91-92 season). We beat #20 De Paul and then beat #15 Alabama. The other team was NC State. UNC, however was a frequent contestant in this tournament.

The next time we were in this tournament was the 96-97 season when it was the Harris Teeter Pepsi Challenge. That’s 4 years.

Who was it that “forbid” us from being in this tournament? What can you back this up with? What would link if it was on the internet?

As X said, UNC was not in the tournament the year we won (91-92 season). We beat #20 De Paul and then beat #15 Alabama. The other team was NC State. UNC, however was a frequent contestant in this tournament.

The next time we were in this tournament was the 96-97 season when it was the Harris Teeter Pepsi Challenge. That’s 4 years.

Who was it that “forbid” us from being in this tournament? What can you back this up with? What would link if it was on the internet?

only way you’ll ever get the info is to comb Observer archives. You gotta pay. The very next yr UNC invited other teams and left us out. I remember Judy not liking it a bit.

only way you'll ever get the info is to comb Observer archives. You gotta pay. The very next yr UNC invited other teams and left us out. I remember Judy not liking it a bit.

UNC Charlotte students have free access through the library.

only way you'll ever get the info is to comb Observer archives. You gotta pay. The very next yr UNC invited other teams and left us out. I remember Judy not liking it a bit.
So it was just that UNC invited different teams the next year and left us out? And this story was in the Charlotte Observer?

Some how I find my second sentence hard to believe. :wink:

[QUOTE=metro;396930]100% ABSOLUTE- hard to prove now since the internet was not turned on then, so there is no link.

They owned the rights to the tourny. So it was basically their invatational. They wanted no part of Jarvis.[/QUOTE]

Raycomm owned the rights to this tourney and yes it was NC State that was in the tournament the year we won. Sounds like you need to check your facts Metro. I’ve obviously got a few years on you and you have no right to question my Ninerhood after spoutin’ off on things you don’t know a hill of beans about. Kind of funny that UNC owned the tourney but invited NC State the year we were in it. Note to board= Metro says it’s 100% absolute and he’s 100% wrong.

The Diet Pepsi Tournament of Champions, later titled by Harris Teeter, Food Lion and Hardee’s, became one of the premier pre-season basketball tournaments. Terry Hanson, a former Turner Sports and PGA Tour executive, was hired in 1991 to oversee the Raycom events division, which included the Blockbuster Bowl and the basketball tournament. The Charlotte tournament was staged for 14 consecutive years, from 1988 through 2001, the last few years under the supervision of long-term employee, George Johnson, who had been hired in 1992 in the programming and event division.

If you would like to read the whole article here is the link

http://www.raycomsports.com/index.php/About-Raycom-Sports/company-history/Print.html

UNC inviting teams to a Raycom Tourney? What the hell are you talking about.

More proof that metro will say anything (the truth be damned) to try and prove his point. I now wait as he lashes out at ME and ignores the post.

UNC Charlotte is not held down by the UNCCH or NCSU institutions directly, but by their alumni who run the UNC System and those that are in the state government.

That being said, as of last year UNC Charlotte was 16 out of the 16 universities in the system in per student funding. We were also number one in growth over the previous SEVERAL years. I had all of this information when I ran for student body prez, but I no longer have the sources saved. I’ll try tomorrow to find them again.

[QUOTE=darren;396996][B]UNC Charlotte is not held down by the UNCCH or NCSU institutions directly, but by their alumni who run the UNC System and those that are in the state government. [/B]

That being said, as of last year UNC Charlotte was 16 out of the 16 universities in the system in per student funding. We were also number one in growth over the previous SEVERAL years. I had all of this information when I ran for student body prez, but I no longer have the sources saved. I’ll try tomorrow to find them again.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=7]DOBA! QFT! This. .[/SIZE]