What Women's Sports Should We Add?

According to Title IX as school must have an equal number of women’s and men’s scholarships avaliable.

Because football would add 30 some scholarships to the men’s side, Charlotte would need new women’s sports to balance things out. What sports would people like to see?

I think we should get field hockey because the A10 is a competitve field hockey league, also, a rifle team is always an option.

If we ever add men’s sports other than football, I would like to see us get ice hockey. That would be awesome!!

the interest for hockey in this town is about as high as our chances of getting football

Mud Wrestling

Tintin

So not only should we build a $40 million football stadium, but we should find space and money for a $2 million turf field hockey field?? :scared:

Doubt it.

if we get football there are 50 scholarships that would be given to the men’s side so you would have to give scholarships to cheerleaders and start up at least 2 more female sports. The field hockey team would more than likely play on transamerica. Its not hard to edit the lines on the field.

The field hockey team would more than likely play on transamerica. Its not hard to edit the lines on the field.

Wrong. The NCAA mandates astroturf for field hockey. If you have a grass facility, they gave you a timeline to get an astroturf in place, and in the meantime you can’t play any conference matches on the grass field. Good luck finding a non-con opponent to come play on you on grass either.

New astroturf field with bleachers, not including land acquisition costs, about $2 million (assuming you can find somewhere on campus to just lay down on top of).

i also don’t seeing us getting football or any other sports for a really long time anyways. So the first group they would fund after they get football players are cheerleaders.

um dax i thought we had cheerleaders?

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/states/north_carolina/university_city/13095213.htm]http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/states/north_carolina/university_city/13095213.htm[/URL]

Posted on Sun, Nov. 06, 2005
[B]Hold on awhile longer for football, law school[/B]

Folks clamoring for a law school or football team at UNC Charlotte will have to wait a bit longer.
In a speech before the Uptown Rotary Club last week, Chancellor Phil Dubois said he wants the campus to focus on getting enough money and resources for current academic programs before adding too many new ones or a football program.
The university lags significantly behind other UNC-system campuses in state appropriations and other funding sources, Dubois has said.
Still, Dubois said he has directed staff to study whether there’d be a demand for a law school in Charlotte.
The InfiLaw System won approval earlier this year from the N.C. Board of Governors to open the Charlotte School of Law, which will offer classes starting next fall. [I]-- April Bethea[/I]

um dax i thought we had cheerleaders?

they aren’t on scholarships

[QUOTE=the daxified one;137974]they aren’t on scholarships[/QUOTE]

With the talents that they have in the stalls, they should be.

Mud Wrestling is a good choice.
We could also add Muff Diving & Pie Eating. LOL.
But seriously, we already have a club team for Women’s Rugby, they can play on the soccer field & take away the goals. Also Lacrosse.
Why does the Ncaa mandate turf for Field Hockey? I thought turf was worse for your knees.

[QUOTE]
The InfiLaw System won approval earlier this year from the N.C. Board of Governors to open the Charlotte School of Law, which will offer classes starting next fall. [I]-- April Bethea[/I][/QUOTE]

Is this the same organization that Sally Struthers appears on TV for. InfiLaw? WTH?

[URL=http://www.infilaw.com/about_Infilaw.htm][U][B]All You Ever Wanted to Know ABout InfiLaw[/B][/U][/URL]

Maximum scholarships allowed by the NCAA…

[U][B]Men’s Sports[/B][/U]
Baseball - 11.7
Basketball – 13
Cross Country/Track and Field - 12.6
Fencing - 4.5
Football – 85/63
Golf - 4.5
Gymnastics - 6.3
Hockey - 30
Lacrosse - 12.6
Rifle - 3.6
Skiing - 6.3
Soccer - 9.9
Swimming - 9.9
Tennis - 4.5
Volleyball - 4.5
Water Polo - 4.5
Wrestling - 9.9

[U][B]Women’s Sports[/B][/U]
Archery - 5
Badminton - 6
Basketball - 15
Bowling - 5
Cross Country/Track and Field - 18
Equestrian - 15
Fencing - 5
Field Hockey - 12
Golf - 6
Lacrosse - 12
Rowing - 20
Rugby - 20
Skiing - 7
Soccer - 12
Softball - 12
Squash - 12
Swimming - 14
Synchronized Swimming - 5
Team Handball - 10
Tennis - 6
Water Polo - 8

i thought they started allowing guys basketball at 13 scholarships. or is that the number of allowed players at one point in time?

Men’s basketball maximum at one time is 13. The only yearly limit per sport is in football I think.

It would seem easy enough to add swimming. Are the facilities in the Belk gym suitable for competitive swimming? I’m referring to women’s swimming here.

you’d have to add a sport that is strictly just women only. Similar to volleyball where it is a women dominated sport.

So if you add women’s swimming, you’d have to add it for the men too?

more than likely because the sports coexist at the same time. You won’t find just a women’s swim team. Nor will you find just a males swimming team. They are usually coached by the same coaches.