Where were you 7 years ago today (9/11/01)?

I was out at a property meeting a termite inspector. As he pulled into the drive, he told me about a plane hitting the tower. We assumed it was a Cessna or something. I left and went home and turned on the TV just in time to watch the 2nd plane hit live. I was pretty shocked, but probably not as bad as my wife. She was in the air on a plane headed to South Dakota for work. The plane landed in Kansas City. The pilot was nice enough to actually tell everyone what was going on ( I understand that they didn’t all do that ). She rented a car and drove all the way home the next day.

I was a Sophmore in HS in Mr. Pearson’s Biology class. At first we were told it was just a major accident and we were watching it on TV. Then we saw the second plane hit live. What a trip.

I too couldn’t stop watching coverage. For a few days I think that’s all I watched. It didn’t even really sink in how sad it was until a few days later. I kept listening to “Farewell and Goodnight” by the Smashing Pumpkins if anyone knows that track.

I hung a huge American flag over my front door for a week or so after. Can’t remember ever seeing so much national pride and feeling like this country was in fact one big family before.

I was in 10th grade world history with Mr. Novak. He was checking his email and saw it online and then he turned on the tv.

7th grade on my way to lunch when my mom was waiting for me. She was let out for the day because she worked at the Federal Reserve Bank downtown. She didn’t really say a word to me just that I was going home. While in the car, she turned on the radio and I really couldn’t make out what was going on…just that there was some sort of attack. When we got home she turned on the tv and then I saw what was happening. I remember every single tv station was showing the same thing. I couldn’t believe what was going on. I remember that night I had a nightmare that they were attacking Charlotte. For weeks that was the only thing we talked about in school.

I was freshmen at South Brunswick High School, got to band class at 9:45ish and the Band director told us what had happened up to that point, and we saw the first building go down. Then as a group we went out and played the national anthem around the flag pole.

The ex-wife had just moved out of the house on the 7th, so I was quite fragile emotionally already. The receptionist in our office got a call from one of our sales reps who told her that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. I immediately thought terrorism and grabbed the keys to our conference room was and hit the TV switch. That was about 2 minutes before the second plane hit, which we saw live. The rest of the day was awful, we all wanted to leave. That night my 2 sons wanted to watch all the events over and over. We did a lot of hugging and praying that night.

I’m amazed at how few people were at Charlotte at the time, I feel old now…

I was in the Cone Center eating the eggs with liquid cheese (so good, why’d they have to get all fancy?). Thought the first one was an accident, saw the second one hit live and then had to go to Music Appriciation class. The teacher didn’t mention it or anything. I had one other class that day, it was also not cancelled, English class, the professor just set down and we discussed it the entire duration of the class.

[QUOTE=LoyalNiner;339855]I was in 9th grade at Independence HS. I was sitting in ELP when another teacher came in to tell us to turn on the tv. We turned it on just as the first tower was falling.[/QUOTE]

Crazy. Exactly what happened to me, except I was at Vance. The principal came on the loudspeaker and said to turn off the TVs and the day will continue as planned. We were taking a test, and then the professor decided not to count it and we all watched it on TV.

[QUOTE=J Felt;339877]
Our terrible principal came on the intercom and informed us that a plane had flown into the WTC. [/QUOTE]

She was terrible, and sounded drunk, but ill never forget her voice announcing that.

Changing classes from Physical Science to Earth Environmental Science in the 9th Grade at Burns High School. After the class change, the TV went on and we saw the destruction :(.

I was in high school, in Charlotte, Olympic High. They would not let us watch TV and tried to keep the news from us for some idiotic reason. It was history in the making and we only heard hush hush rumors and had to BEG to convince ONE teacher to turn on the TV for a bit.

At work (previous employer) listening to a morning talk radio show when they commented that there was smoke pouring out of one of the towers. I didn’t think much of it but went to the conference room to turn on the TV. Then I realized how bad the fire was but terrorism didn’t really cross my mind because I hadn’t heard any mention of a plane.

Called my boss and the receptionist in there to watch with me and about 2 minutes after they came in, we saw the 2nd plane hit. I’ll never forget the feelings that consumed me a that moment because it was then that I knew we were being attacked.

We pretty much hung out in the conference room for the rest of the day watching the coverage and made a few phone calls to loved ones.

I was working at home.

I turned on the TV just for some background noise, after the 1st plane hit. Speculation was a pilot of small plane suffered a heart attack and flew into the Tower.

Shortly thereafter, the 2nd plane hit and it was clear this was no accident.

Called my parents and my Dad (an Engineer) and I instantly started talking about would the buildings collapse.

Seemed tragic, but didn’t really feel too uncomfortable until I heard the NBC interview live from the Pentagon as the plane hit in DC.

At that point, my thoughts really changed and life started to feel real uncomfortable. Envisioning planes hitting cities thoughout the country suddenly seemed possible.

Was very surreal the next day when I looked at the sky and realized there were no planes anywhere.

I was in downtown Charlotte (soon to be evacuated) trying to get in touch with my other half to make sure she was not on one of those planes.

Was very surreal the next day when I looked at the sky and realized there were no planes anywhere.

Forgot about that. That was most certainly one of the most surreal moments I experienced. I remember stepping outside work the next day and there just being this eerie silence. Incredibly odd because at the time, I worked near the airport so seeing planes and hearing them was always a constant.

I was living on campus at the time (Sycamore) and a friend messaged me to ask, “Are you watching this?” I turned on the TV and stayed glued to the set for the next few hours, after waking up the rest of the roomies. I had a class later that morning and remember the professor calling for a moment of silence before it began - everything was very surreal and something I hope to never live through again.

I saw almost everyone in the building talking to friends and family that day, reminding them how much they loved them. It has been the only time in my life where the entire public seemed to react as “one”.

I remember I was watching “Sportscenter” in my apartment (Mallard Green) getting ready to go to my English class (Dr. Eckard). I just remember my roommate and me in complete shock. I orginally thought it was a hoax and then I could tell something wrong had occurred because every channel had something dealing with the towers on it. We got ready, drove to campus for our classes and sat in my car listening to the radio. It was surreal. I also remember I walked to Fretwell and everyone had their head down and was very desolate. I got to Dr. Eckard’s class and I remember her saying that we didn’t have to be there but if we wanted to; we could discuss what we were feeling. It was an experience I will never ever forget.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;339967]
Was very surreal the next day when I looked at the sky and realized there were no planes anywhere.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jcl49er;339971]Forgot about that. That was most certainly one of the most surreal moments I experienced. I remember stepping outside work the next day and there just being this eerie silence. Incredibly odd because at the time, I worked near the airport so seeing planes and hearing them was always a constant.[/QUOTE]

That was indeed eery. When I visited my job sites later that morning, I kept looking towards the sky almost to see what might be up there. This was before I knew about or heard about all planes being grounded. I kept thinking, are there more out there and where might they be? I mean, at the time we did not know how many terrorists their were, where they were at, who they were with, anything.

I was two weeks into my freshman year. I got back to Witherspoon (Poplar at the time) around 9:15 after my morning math class, and I had a breaking news email from ABC News that said “Plane crashes into World Trade Center.” I laughed and thought to myself, “What an idiot!” thinking that it was a single engine plane that veered off course or whatever. Then I turned on the TV and the first thing I saw was an instant replay of the second impact into the South Tower. I was just mesmerized for the rest of the day.

I was waiting for the cable guy to install cable, so I was sleeping on the couch before he came. He hooked it up right before the second plane hit. He sat down beside me on the couch, as we watched in bewilderment for the next hour.