Where were you 7 years ago today (9/11/01)?

I saw this type of thread on another message board, so I thought it would be interesting.

I was at golf class at 9am over near the track and softball fields when someone said a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. We figured at the time it was just an accident. After class I drove over to the other side of campus and walked into the Architecture buidling for my next class when I saw about 100 people packed in a tiny room in front of a TV, some where crying, I didn’t know what was going on. Then I saw the TV and the replay of the tragic events.

I can remember going online later that day and seeing all the photos and video footage. Thinking back to it, it is still so hard to believe that it actually happened.

I was in 3 Wachovia at work. Someone came and said that a plane had just hit one of the WTC towers. I got up and walked into the break room and saw the second plane hit the second tower live. It was a moment of disbelief. In the next 2 hours the downtown buildings were evacuated. I remember sitting in the parking deck of 2 Wachovia waiting for traffic to clear and talking with a friend. We discussed how these events change a society and change a world, and indeed they have. It was very surreal in downtown Charlotte that day.

My father was a recently retired 767 United airlines pilot and the sense of thankfulness that he was no longer in the air was significant. That night, looking at the sky and seeing no planes was very odd to the son of a pilot.

I was at work.
Since we have 2 of the largest banks in the country located between 2 nuclear plants, we thought we were next. We managed to get the boss man to send us home so we wouldn’t have to die at work.

I saw this type of thread on another message board, so I thought it would be interesting.

I was at golf class at 9am over near the track and softball fields when someone said a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. We figured at the time it was just an accident. After class I drove over to the other side of campus and walked into the Architecture buidling for my next class when I saw about 100 people packed in a tiny room in front of a TV, some where crying, I didn’t know what was going on. Then I saw the TV and the replay of the tragic events.

I can remember going online later that day and seeing all the photos and video footage. Thinking back to it, it is still so hard to believe that it actually happened.

Senior in High School, in physics class. I was in the very back of the class by our teachers computer. I remember he had CNN.com pulled up and I looked back just as it updated to say a plane had crashed. I told my teacher and we turned the TV on just as the 2nd building was hit. Not a moment that day we werent glued to the TV Screen. The whole school was silent.

I was in 9th grade at Independence HS. I was sitting in ELP when another teacher came in to tell us to turn on the tv. We turned it on just as the first tower was falling.

I was at work and my boss’ wife called him and told him about the first plane. We all thought it was an accident and thought it was like a small Piper Cub that hit the building. She called back about 20 minutes later and we went scrambling for the TV just to see what the hell was happening. It was a scary day. No one knew what was happening and what was going to happen next. Then, when I get home from work, you just get sick on your stomach watching all of the footage knowing how many of the victims perished.

8th grade. Second Period. Latin class. My homeroom was right across the hall, so my HR teacher(s) knew before most people in the school.(They had planning while we were all in our electives) They came over and told my Latin teacher. She frantically tried calling her brother, who live on the other side of Manhattan. She cried for a bit, all of us were like ‘What the F is going on?’ My original thoughts were, ‘OK, we just got bombed a la OKC’.

I go to my next class and inform one of my classmates that the WTC has just been bombed. My teacher overheard and asked what I said. I repeated. The look on his face said it all. He kept his composure, but you could tell he was kind of freaking out about it.

After that class, we went to my other 2 homeroom/core classes. Both teachers kind of explained the gravity of the situation. In the middle of the first one explaining it, the other came in and said that the first tower had fallen. All of us were basically thinking that this is some huge ****.

Later in the afternoon, we head back up to our original homeroom classes and both teachers bring us down to a computer lab to watch the CNN coverage.

When I get home, I’m told that my family is trying to track down my uncle, who frequented the WTC for business. We located him, but learned that he had a meeting in one of the towers the very next morning.

A completely ****ed up day in US history.

i was in the 7th grade…in our 15 minute break between 2nd and 3rd period. i heard some kids say in the hall that a plane had crashed into the WTC. i went into my next class and told my teacher to turn the tv on CNN…our whole class watched the plane hit tower 2 live. i’ll never forget how sick to my stomach i felt watching that. the most disturbing thing i’ve ever seen.

I was in class at the time. Someone came in late to class and told us about the first plane, but like everyone else, we thought it was an accident. I was in Gaston College at the time, and my prof was photo editor of the newspaper there in Gastonia. He got a call that he needed to come in to work immediately. He said, “Well, it must be important then.” I watched the events unfold on a small TV in a cramped room.

Later that day though, I had to go to work - I was a gate agent for US Airways at Charlotte-Douglas. The airport was more crowded than I had EVER seen it. Since no planes were going out, there was really nothing for us to do either, except crowd control. People were asking us questions about when they’d get to fly, but the government wasn’t giving us any info at all. After all the rental cars were gone, we had to try to do something with all of the people there. We had buses run to Atlanta, Philly and Memphis, for the folks going there. Other places, people either had to wait or take our shuttle to the Greyhound station. At the time, security wasn’t what it is now, so people were allowed to sleep inside the airport terminals. It was just absolute chaos that night, with people demanding that we do something about the situation, but there was nothing at all we could do. Lots of people made friends with other people and got rental cars for cross-country trips.

Man, you guys were 7th and 8th grade in high school? I feel old now.

in math class 7th grade…
all i could think of was that just 5 months before i had been between the towers looking up and taking it all in

I was a junior in highschool taking pre-cal, and as a part of class we would watch the news in the morning. We watched it all unfold as it happened live on CNN. I remember everyone just being in shock… as we left for our next class our teacher said “pray for those people”. Most of us did.

i was in shop class in 7th grade, since we were in the shop nobody new what was going on, i stayed late and as i was walking out, my teacher had turned on the tv as teh first tower was falling. I was in disbelief. I went to my next class and nobody had heard, so I told our teacher and they refused to put it on. So we didnt know how bad it was tell we could go to lunch and see.

Senior in high school at Butler. I was in 2nd period (?) German II. An administrator came to the door and told our teacher to turn on the TV. I believe we started watching right after the 2nd plane hit. Everyone was in disbelief/stunned when that first tower fell. The next couple of hours were crazy, no one knew what was going on, it was hard not to believe everything the media was saying. I remember being pissed off for sometime.

I was playing football for Butler at the time, we played Independence at Memorial Stadium that next Friday. It was the most emotional lead up to a game I had ever experienced.

I was on campus, in Friday in a marketing class… found out what was happening afterwards in the (packed) computer lab on the 3rd floor… skipped my next class to get back to my apartment to see what was going on.

I had just turned on the tv as I was getting ready to go to work and had seen footage of the first plane hit the building. It didn’t really sink in until they kept showing it and kept showing it. As I got to the school and was walking into Halton a man walked by on his cell phone and as he passed me said “another plane has hit the 2nd tower”. As he rushed by me I just remember a complete fear in my heart. I don’t know anyone in NY but couldn’t help but feel sad. The rest of the day in the basketball offices we had all the tvs on and just kinda tried to get through the day.

Leaving monthly coaches’ meeting at Ohio State. Heard about first plane and we all turned on TV. Saw second plane live.

Cancelled training and activities for the day and went to a player’s house to be together as a team. Saw towers fall.

Being in room with 25 college students when it happened was very difficult as it was important to be a good calm leader, and yet I had concern for relatives in NY and my mother who was on a plane on the way to NY, and of course for everyone else in NY and on the planes.

Just really indescribable.

10th grade Chemistry class with Mrs. Wells.

Our terrible principal came on the intercom and informed us that a plane had flown into the WTC. I remember turning to my friend Lindsay and we laughed, for some reason. Mostly out of shock, and because Ms. Murr had a terrible announcing voice. Lindsay was planning on going to school in NYC. We had no clue the severity of the situation until we got to the next class (English) where she told us more about what was going on. I specifically remember her saying, “a lot of things in our world are going to change now.” and I didn’t believe it. I wish she were wrong.

The rest of the day we spent in front of TVs in each class. I was glued to the TV for the entire night, my mom had to make me go to bed around 2 AM because I couldn’t take my eyes off of the coverage. To this day I’m still disturbed at the thought of people throwing themselves off of the building.

When I got home from work, I watched it over & over again. I didn’t want to watch, but I couldn’t look away.
I couldn’t believe the entire country was shut down. No flights, no sports. I couldn’t believe we let some a55holes change everything. Maybe it was for the best to not play & not fly, but I guess at the time I was pissed.

I was a senior in HS, in Government class, and they announced it over the PA and told us to turn on the TV. My teacher was an 80-year old woman who was a die hard patriot before this. She was about 5’4" 90 lbs max, and almost choked slammed a kid b/c he said the Michael Jackson Pleadge of Allegiance rip over the PA the week before. She said in class, “the people that did this will pay a severe price, whether tomorrow, or in the future, in life or after death, but they will pay.” I remember that being the closest day I ever came to enrolling in the some branch of the armed forces. The anger I felt for some cowards to attack innocent civilians in that manner made you want to exact all types of revenge.

People during lunch were freaked out about possibly being attacked (this is central VA in BFE). I almost wanted to smack the drama queens for thinking such a thing. Like they would want to bomb us, apparently to kill off some of our corn and tobacco crop. I remember feeling sorry for such foolish and selfish people, while people were really dying and having to deal with that level of loss. I didn’t see my dad for 3 days since he’s in the media and was at work for some 80+ hours straight. I came home that day and my mom was in tears watching the television, and she gave me a hug and said something very similar to what my teacher said.