Who do we want to be??

I have read many posts on here the past few weeks bashing this person or that, or this decision or that, and just want to pose a question (2 parts):

1. If the Atlantic 10 is a poor choice, where should we be? (Keep in mind that we don’t have football, and for many of you who would be satisfied with I-AA, remember, that eliminates us from a so-called BCS league)

2. Name three schools at the I-AAA level that you think do a better job all around than Charlotte.

Just curious. I can’t think of many I-AAA, or for that matter, I-AA schools, that I would switch places with.

What is I-AAA?

Someone has to figure out a way to put a breathalyzer on this site.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Dec 13 2004, 11:10 PM [b] Someone has to figure out a way to put a breathalyzer on this site. [/b]
:lmao: that was great. but the funniest thing is, the site actually DOES need one
[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Dec 13 2004, 11:10 PM [b] Someone has to figure out a way to put a breathalyzer on this site. [/b]
I'm not sure I follow. Do you need to drink to post? Or does that keep us off?

First off there is no such thing as Division I-AAA, In basketball there is Division I, Division II, and Division III. Only when you play football is there a Division I-AA. Then it still goes as follows, Division I-A, Division I-AA, Division II and Division III. It is all based on scholarships. A Division I-A program in Football recieves 85 full football scholarships while a I-AA recieves 60 Full scholarships while Division II and III recieve considerably less but offer partial athletic scholarships which can be paired to academic scholarships which end up working just the same as a full scholarship.

[b]while Division II and III recieve considerably less but offer partial athletic scholarships which can be paired to academic scholarships which end up working just the same as a full scholarship[/b]

Division III is non-scholarship, at least athletic-wise. They give academic scholarships for athletes, but none solely for athletics. Division II gives some, but the number is a lot less than I-AA.

Yes, there is such a thing as I-AAA. From the UC Davis website:

[b]Division I-AAA:

• 85 institutions that do not sponsor football at the intercollegiate level.
  • Athletics programs are focused on the sport of basketball.
  • 41 of the 85 Division I-AAA institutions are small private colleges or universities.[/b]

Link: Differences Between NCAA Divisions I-A, I-AA and I-AAA

Charlotte, DePaul, Marquette, Saint Louis, and Xavier are among those institutions that do not sponsor football at the intercollegiate level.

[i]Originally posted by TheProvider[/i]@Dec 13 2004, 10:14 PM [b] I have read many posts on here the past few weeks bashing this person or that, or this decision or that, and just want to pose a question (2 parts):
  1. If the Atlantic 10 is a poor choice, where should we be? (Keep in mind that we don’t have football, and for many of you who would be satisfied with I-AA, remember, that eliminates us from a so-called BCS league)

2. Name three schools at the I-AAA level that you think do a better job all around than Charlotte.

Just curious. I can’t think of many I-AAA, or for that matter, I-AA schools, that I would switch places with. [/b]

Provider, the only other choice would have been the Big East. Since I believe that league will eventually split into football and non-football groups within the not too distant future, then we would once again be in a non-BCS league anyway.

As far as other I-AAA schools that do a better job than Charlotte, that’s hard to say. I don’t follow many of the so-called Olympic sports very closely, so I don’t know how well the programs are at DePaul, Marquette, Saint Louis, Saint Joseph’s, and Xavier are doing. I know that Marquette has a men’s Final Four in 2003 and that SJU and XU were Elite Eight last season and both just missed being Final Four participants.

If a few of the A10 schools step it up, we’ll be in far better shape than our current C-USA situation.

-A-10 has a long history (kids in the NE grew up watching it)
-Northeastern Region (media attention in the NE, already our strong recruiting areas)
-Basketball focus (Yes, I’m in favor of starting a DI-AA team for the A10)
-Decrease in travel cost for all teams means more net revenue

The A10 is very young this year. Next year, I think it will be a very good league. As soon as UMASS and Temple re-emerge, we’ll be in far better shape than the current C-USA and 100 times better than next year’s C-USA.

Hey, the teams in the A10 are no slouch. Like look at Temple, holding its own against Wake. Maybe we will get to play some teams that are in the major conferences like the ACC or something.

I dont know if its better than our current CUSA situation, but it definitely is better than CUSA next yr. So A-10 was the right choice.

NCAA Division I-AAA institutions (NOTE: most current list I could find):

American
Arkansas-Little Rock
Belmont
SUNY-Binghamton
Boston University
Bradley
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UC Santa Barbara
Cal State Fullerton
Cal State Northridge
Campbell
Canisius
Centenary
College of Charleston
Chicago State
Cleveland State
Coppin State
Creighton
Denver
DePaul
Detroit Mercy
Drexel
Evansville
Fairfield
Fairleigh Dickinson
George Mason
Georgia State
Gonzaga
Hartford
High Point
Illinois-Chicago
IUPU-Fort Wayne
IUPU-Indianpolis
Lamar
Long Beach State
Long Island
Loyola (Ill).
Loyola (Md.)
Loyola Marymount
Marquette
Maryland-Baltimore County
Maryland-Eastern Shore
Mercer
Mount St. Mary’s
New Orleans
Niagara
UNC-Asheville
UNC Charlotte
UNC-Greensboro
UNC-Wilmington
Oakland
Old Dominion
Pacific
Pepperdine
Portland
Providence
Quinnipiac
Radford
St. John’s
San Francisco
Santa Clara
Seton Hall
South Alabama
Stetson
UT-Arlington
UT-Pan American
UT-San Antonio
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Wichita State
Winthrop
Wisconsin-Green Bay
Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Wright State
Xavier

A-10 will be fine if we can just beef up the OOC schedule. Hell if Temple can play everyone and their brother in their OOC why can’t we add two solids. Thats all we need.

[i]Originally posted by JKniner[/i]@Dec 14 2004, 11:05 AM [b] A-10 will be fine if we can just beef up the OOC schedule. Hell if Temple can play everyone and their brother in their OOC why can't we add two solids. Thats all we need. [/b]
True. Temple's reputation is still getting them big games. They always end up with a solid RPI and an slighty above average W-L. We're building that same type of reputation, although we win more than they do and go to many more tournaments. It's not a bad loss for teams now. Next year, IU and Miss St (unconfirmed) come to Halton.
[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Dec 14 2004, 09:35 AM [b] * Athletics programs are focused on the sport of basketball. [/b]
I would argue that Fullerton, Long Beach, and Wichita focus more on baseball than basketball.

The A-10 was the best option we had. Staying in C-USA would be suicide for our basketball program. Memphis will have to dominate that league and schedule tough OOC opponents to keep their RPI up. The A-10 historically speaking hasn’t been a huge RPI power either, but I think going forward it will be a much better league than the decimated C-USA.

Thanks Run for educating the board on I-AAA. Anyway, I haven’t noted one program in I-AAA that anyone has said is better than ours. And no conference options better than the A-10? The Big East would have been nice, but they took two mid-west Catholic schools to appease Notre Dame, so I don’t fault anyone on that one – unless Miss Bonnie should have made us private and Catholic (surprised no one has laid that at her feet yet, as they have so many years concerning our lack of a football team).

I’d like a couple of Xavier Tourney runs and side order of David West.
Oh yes, bring out the Romaine Salad, I mean Sato, before the entree.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Dec 14 2004, 11:40 AM [b] NCAA Division I-AAA institutions (NOTE: most current list I could find):

American
Arkansas-Little Rock
Belmont
SUNY-Binghamton
Boston University
Bradley
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UC Santa Barbara
Cal State Fullerton
Cal State Northridge
Campbell
Canisius
Centenary
College of Charleston
Chicago State
Cleveland State
Coppin State
Creighton
Denver
DePaul
Detroit Mercy
Drexel
Evansville
Fairfield
Fairleigh Dickinson
George Mason
Georgia State
Gonzaga
Hartford
High Point
Illinois-Chicago
IUPU-Fort Wayne
IUPU-Indianpolis
Lamar
Long Beach State
Long Island
Loyola (Ill).
Loyola (Md.)
Loyola Marymount
Marquette
Maryland-Baltimore County
Maryland-Eastern Shore
Mercer
Mount St. Mary’s
New Orleans
Niagara
UNC-Asheville
UNC Charlotte
UNC-Greensboro
UNC-Wilmington
Oakland
Old Dominion
Pacific
Pepperdine
Portland
Providence
Quinnipiac
Radford
St. John’s
San Francisco
Santa Clara
Seton Hall
South Alabama
Stetson
UT-Arlington
UT-Pan American
UT-San Antonio
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Vermont
Virginia Commonwealth
Wichita State
Winthrop
Wisconsin-Green Bay
Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Wright State
Xavier [/b]

can someone explain what this list really means? are these the schools in Div. I wihtout a football team? And what does it mean since we’re in it?