Who plays Center next year without Iti?

While I am over Iti leaving I am left to wonder where we stand at the position heading into next season IF Iti is gone for sure. Does Pigford now start in that spot?

How does this affect our wins and losses next season?

It will be more of a match-up situation than anything in determining who plays. Against big teams, I think we’ll see Nance and Pigford there. Against a smaller uptempo team, we might shift Withers to the 5 and let Drayton play the 4. A lot of it will depend on just how good Nance is. If he can be as good as Iti was last year, he will see as many minutes as he can handle. If not, we are in trouble because CJ won’t stay out of foul trouble playing the 5 and I think EJ is too wiry to play the 4 against a banging team.

According to my sources, the guy who makes the “UPS Game Ball Delivery” will now just stay on court for the jumpball :lol:
Realistically, what does it really matter? If anyone in d1 coaching is experienced in putting out a lineup of only forwards and guards, it should be Coach Lutz. Teaching his power forwards to play the 5 should be a strength of this Head Coach by now.

If Iti does not return I do not see Pigford or Nance taking that position. Nance has been injury prone the last 2 years and Pigford is just too small and foul prone.

I think our front court will be Withers, Drayton and Basden. I think you put Drayton at the 5 and cause mismatch problems by pulling the other teams 5 out away from the basket.

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Jun 11 2004, 09:09 PM [b] I think our front court will be Withers, Drayton and Basden. I think you put Drayton at the 5 and cause mismatch problems by pulling the other teams 5 out away from the basket. [/b]
I think your frontcourt is correct. Without Iti, the 49ers struggle to win 15 games, unless they can shoot the rock better than last season. No, I'm not saying Iti is that good, just the presence helps. I thiink without him, we have more matchup problems than we create. Rebounding is critical and Withers can't do both for 40 minutes.
[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jun 13 2004, 07:29 PM [b] Without Iti, the 49ers struggle to win 15 games, unless they can shoot the rock better than last season. No, I'm not saying Iti is that good, just the presence helps. I thiink without him, we have more matchup problems than we create. Rebounding is critical and Withers can't do both for 40 minutes. [/b]
I'll go 21/22 reg season with him and 18/19 without. That is if Withers repeats from last year with a better finish, Drayton and Eddie give us 12 and 6, Baldwin/Goldwire are respectable and Plavich thins down, gains some quickness and shoots for better average. This team has a lot of talent.

I thought that Iti was only a presence last year and not a force, save a couple of games against very poor teams. While his departure creates some depth problems for us, I think that our recruits coming in add a good deal more talent to the team as a whole. The small talented team we now have with all the “tweeners” is the ideal Lutz team. Everyone, including our recruits, knows we play a wide-open game that is geared towards guards and athletic forwards. That, coupled with the fact that there are only a handful, if that many, of dominant big men in the country, I don’t think we’ll be that bad off. We will flirt with 20 regular season wins this season and make the tourney, though no promises after that point.

I believe the most significant effect his leaving will have will be on his future, which doesn’t look bright at all, at least to me. We’ll be much better off than he will be, with the exception of adding fodder for opposing fans ragging us about our players that have gone “pro”.

[i]Originally posted by NoVa9er[/i]@Jun 15 2004, 09:51 PM [b] I believe the most significant effect his leaving will have will be on his future, which doesn't look bright at all, at least to me. [/b]
If Withers stays for all four years, we're in good shape for two more years. We've been consistent in landing top talent the past 4 years: White, Withers, Drayton, Alexander, Goldwire (potentially). We'll be fine in the A-10 but it will of course continue to be a struggle to get to the next level of consistent top 25 team.

Withers - 5
Drayton - 4 (really needs some weight)
Basden - 3
Plavich - 2 (has already slimmed down a lot)
Baldwin - 1

1st off the bench -

Goldwire (could be a really special player)
Pigford (at the 4 and 5)
Nance (5)

Jury out -

Sager
Lewis

Not playing -

Bennett
Alexander

One scholarship open if Iti doesn’t return (and he won’t IMHO)

Nothing gives me even a inkling of hope he’ll be back. He’s so gone in my opinion.
What does make me curious is if he’s even told anyone here that’s the way it is, or if he’s just completely blown the staff off.

We have a lineup that’s now perfect for the A-10. Unfortunately it’s a year early.

Any idea who we are looking at to fill Iti’s scholarship (assuming he is gone)? Or is it too late for that??

My first post on this new board. And, it’s boring. I agree with Neo on his/her assessment. And, I agree with the writer who penned, “The guy who delivers the UPS game ball will just stay on the floor.” LOL!
:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :lol:

Signing period closed back in May.

Wow. Anyway to get Spooner here now. His situation will really haunt us this year. Spooner could have had all the minutes he wanted.

Withers and Drayton playing out of position is really a shame. They both are the closest talent we have to reaching the next level. I do not know how happy they will be going into their junior year trying to showcase their abilities playing out of position.

Where does Lewis fit into all of this?? Redshirt??I know a lot of this is coming as a surprise and recruiting is a vey fluid process but a big man signing on that scholarship would have really helped. Anyone have anything on his game or the thinking behind that signing. If you know Alexander is unhappy and you have a shot at him the Lewis signing makes less sense.

Another frustrating off season (with could haves) and our frontcourt undersized at the 4 and 5.

[b]Where does Lewis fit into all of this?? Redshirt??I know a lot of this is coming as a surprise and recruiting is a vey fluid process but a big man signing on that scholarship would have really helped. Anyone have anything on his game or the thinking behind that signing. If you know Alexander is unhappy and you have a shot at him the Lewis signing makes less sense. [/b]

Lewis redshirting or not probably hinges on Bennett’s eligibility. Without Bennett, we only have 4 guards for this year minus Lewis. If Bennett sits again, then I don’t think we can afford to redshirt Lewis because we won’t have any depth at the guard slots should someone get hurt.

As for Withers playing the 5, that may be what happens but I fear a loss of offensive production from him and the team as a whole as well as us suffering on defense. For those that were following 9er basketball in 95-96, if you’ll remember we lost Kuehle after starting out 9-6 and looking like a Tourney contender. DeMarco had to play the 5 the remainder of the season, and his offensive production suffered. He was guarded by bigger players and also had to guard them at the other end which took away from his rebounding numbers and put him more foul trouble than normal. This would be a similar ordeal with us losing Iti to the draft. We have more talent around Withers than Demarco had around him, but playing Withers at the 5 all the time I think will be detrimental to the team and him. As I stated earlier, I think who should play for us depends on what team and what type of team we are playing.

Withers and the team will suffer if he’s stuck at the 5 all season. If he gets in foul trouble, we’re dead in the water. Pigford and Nance must give us some quality minutes there.

X9er, You’re so right… My first visit to the Shoe (Cincy) was when DeMarco was outgunned playing the 5. He was valiant, but he was outmatched (This past year’s visit was sooooooo much better!!! :smiley: ). Curtis would similarly wear himself out playing out of position on D.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jun 16 2004, 05:54 PM [b] Withers and the team will suffer if he's stuck at the 5 all season. If he gets in foul trouble, we're dead in the water. Pigford and Nance must give us some quality minutes there. [/b]
JUCOS definitely get minutes at Charlotte. Nance, Drayton, and Pigford will get all they want.

Nance just became the key to our season. If he can hold down the middle, rebound and play defense (while staying out of foul trouble), it will allow Withers and Drayton to do their thing. He’s about the size of Calvin. I hope he can hold onto the ball and set picks.

I hope Nance can stay healthy. He has yet to prove that in his career.

[i]Originally posted by BobbyLutz[/i]@Jun 11 2004, 02:56 PM [b] While I am over Iti leaving I am left to wonder where we stand at the position heading into next season IF Iti is gone for sure. Does Pigford now start in that spot?

How does this affect our wins and losses next season? [/b]

We’re bringing in a big Autralian named Mertin TiTi. :hammer: