Who should be our 1st Opponent?

Iā€™m staying optimistic and accepting that football is inevitable. Me, personally, I wonā€™t accept anything less. So I begin with the assumption that we are getting football.

Who should be our first opponent?
My initial favorites would be sentimental with Davidson, Wake or ASU. I donā€™t want UNC and State to show up in our record books (especially as our first loss). Then I saw the losing streak at Duke. Definitely a possible win against them in our first game. That would be my pick.

Iā€™m still new here, so if there is another thread thatā€™s already covered this please direct me and Iā€™ll try to post this there.

[QUOTE=Johnny449ers;254319]Iā€™m staying optimistic and accepting that football is inevitable. Me, personally, I wonā€™t accept anything less. So I begin with the assumption that we are getting football.

Who should be our first opponent?
My initial favorites would be sentimental with Davidson, Wake or ASU. I donā€™t want UNC and State to show up in our record books (especially as our first loss). Then I saw the losing streak at Duke. Definately a possible win against them in our first game. That would be my pick.

Iā€™m still new here, so if there is another thread thatā€™s already covered this please direct me and Iā€™ll try to post this there.[/QUOTE]

first game? play ā€œsisters of the blindā€ and make sure you get a W.
thats what USF did and won like 72-0.

[QUOTE=metro;254320]first game? play ā€œsisters of the blindā€ and make sure you get a W.
thats what USF did and won like 72-0.[/QUOTE]

DOBAā€¦ Sharon Middle School sounds like a good fit.

as bad as duke is i think it would be unlikely that a first year team would be able to beat them. also, i doubt they would schedule us.

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;254335]as bad as duke is i think it would be unlikely that a first year team would be able to beat them. also, i doubt they would schedule us.[/QUOTE]

hey, they need to get a win somehow! :biggrin:

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeechigan! And we should get $1 BILLION for getting demolished.

as bad as duke is i think it would be unlikely that a first year team would be able to beat them. also, i doubt they would schedule us.

Wouldnā€™t that be the funniest thing that has ever happened in sports? I can see the headlines.
[SIZE=4]DUKE OFFICIALLY ENDS FOOTBALL PROGRAM AFTER ATTEMPT AT EASY WIN TURNS INTO CHARLOTTE 1-0 IN FIRST EVER FOOTBALL SEASON[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Submarley734;254347]Wouldnā€™t that be the funniest thing that has ever happened in sports? I can see the headlines.
[SIZE=4]DUKE OFFICIALLY ENDS FOOTBALL PROGRAM AFTER ATTEMPT AT EASY WIN TURNS INTO CHARLOTTE 1-0 IN FIRST EVER FOOTBALL SEASON[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
:lmao:

Now tell me, how did you come across these future telling powers? :biggrin:

davidson.

i mean they are our rivals.

ASU could be our last haah

I think we need to get as many payout games as possible the first few years at least.

I would love to see a guaranteed win in the first game, but we also need to get quality opponents coming in to play us to keep the interest up.

I think that UCF is opening their new stadium by hosting Texas. Sure they will get waxed but it shows fans what they aspire to be. If you want to play with the big boys you have to play the big boys.

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;254354]I think we need to get as many payout games as possible the first few years at least.

I would love to see a guaranteed win in the first game, but we also need to get quality opponents coming in to play us to keep the interest up.

I think that UCF is opening their new stadium by hosting Texas. Sure they will get waxed but it shows fans what they aspire to be. If you want to play with the big boys you have to play the big boys.[/QUOTE]

ā€¦and Texas gets to play in a recruiting hotbed. Donā€™t think Texas is just being nice.

I think we need to get as many payout games as possible the first few years at least.

I think that UCF is opening their new stadium by hosting Texas. Sure they will get waxed but it shows fans what they aspire to be. If you want to play with the big boys you have to play the big boys.

I agree with you that we need payout games. But, I think that was our first game should be a home game. This is a more appropriate beginning for our program. After that, we can have payout game, where available.

Our 1st year, we wonā€™t be good in 1-aa.
I say start off easy w/ a sure win to get up our confidence against a d2 team.
LR, Catawba, JCSU.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;254405]Our 1st year, we wonā€™t be good in 1-aa.
I say start off easy w/ a sure win to get up our confidence against a d2 team.
LR, Catawba, JCSU.[/QUOTE]

Nein! Das ist Verboten!

We canā€™y play DII or DIII teams, ever. No exhibitions in college FBall.

I say Davidson, With the knowledge that we are going to DI-A in 4 seasons we should have better recruits then Davidson the very first year.

Sure they will get waxed but it shows fans what they aspire to be. If you want to play with the big boys you have to play the big boys.

This is so true. If you want to show a commitment to building a strong program, teach players what it takes to be a strong program, draw students, and most importantly, entice fans into buying season tickets, you have to play big names. Itā€™s good for everyone in the long run.

Letā€™s face it, Iā€™d rather have our football teamā€™s initial exposure be blowouts against top teams than a mediocre season against teams that wonā€™t get us any exposure at all.

[QUOTE=eddiebasden13;254435]This is so true. If you want to show a commitment to building a strong program, teach players what it takes to be a strong program, draw students, and most importantly, entice fans into buying season tickets, you have to play big names. Itā€™s good for everyone in the long run.

Letā€™s face it, Iā€™d rather have our football teamā€™s initial exposure be blowouts against top teams than a mediocre season against teams that wonā€™t get us any exposure at all.[/QUOTE]

At DI-AA level top teams are App St, not Texas, so payouts and exposure will still be minimal. I say schedule cupcakes and pad the #'s, winning will do more for us at DI-AA level then any big name blowout will. When we hit D-IA then we can have a FEW big name games.

Our 1st year, we won't be good in 1-aa. I say start off easy w/ a sure win to get up our confidence against a d2 team. LR, Catawba, JCSU.

OK, I havenā€™t seen Catawba play in a while, but last time I saw them play, they are actually a very good DII team. They would probably kick our ass, so no Catawba.

Will it matter who we play for our first home game? Most of us will have done too much tailgating and celebrating our first home football game by kickoff. I know that will be my plan.
:drink: :toast: :drink: :toast: :drink:

1st Away Game: Road Trip at Hawaii. :toast: :drink: :toast: :drink: :toast:

Will it matter who we play for our first home game? Most of us will have done too much tailgating and celebrating our first home football game by kickoff. I know that will be my plan. :drink: :toast: :drink: :toast: :drink:

1st Away Game: Road Trip at Hawaii. :toast: :drink: :toast: :drink: :toast:

Iā€™m there. ROAD TRIP!! Well, maybe no road.

Wouldn't that be the funniest thing that has ever happened in sports? I can see the headlines. [SIZE=4]DUKE OFFICIALLY ENDS FOOTBALL PROGRAM AFTER ATTEMPT AT EASY WIN TURNS INTO [COLOR=seagreen]UNC[/COLOR] 1-0 IN FIRST EVER FOOTBALL SEASON[/SIZE]

FIXED If its in the Observer. Sorry couldnt resisit.