Who Should I Keep?

I am in a keeper league and can keep 5. I feel like I have a lot of good options.

Who should I keep?
Peyton Manning
Clinton Portis
Willis McGahee
Lawrence Maroney
Jamal Lewis
Terrell Owens
Javon Walker
Andre Johnson
Jerrico Cotchery
Kellen Winslow
L.J. Smith

I’m thinking for sure Manning and Portis (top 5 when healthy)

I’m leaning towards Owens and Walker.
Stuck between Maroney (lots of potential) and McGahee.

Any advice?

I am in a keeper league and can keep 5. I feel like I have a lot of good options.

Who should I keep?
Peyton Manning
Clinton Portis
Willis McGahee
Lawrence Maroney
Jamal Lewis
Terrell Owens
Javon Walker
Andre Johnson
Jerrico Cotchery
Kellen Winslow
L.J. Smith

Any advice?

You can keep 5? :wow:

My advice:
Manning
Portis
Maroney
Johnson
Winslow

Who should I keep?
Peyton Manning
Clinton Portis
Willis McGahee
Lawrence Maroney
Jamal Lewis
Terrell Owens
Javon Walker
Andre Johnson
Jerrico Cotchery
Kellen Winslow
L.J. Smith

Any advice?

Manning and Portis are no-brainers. I’d definitely keep Maroney. Before the injury, he proved to be a stud player who will be taking over the reigns in NE pretty soon, as Dillon continues to age. After that, it depends on how your league scores. If like most, value is at RB. And I’d probably protect McGahee. Injuries are a concern but he appears to be 100% right now and that should carry over into next season. I also like Jamal. The Ravens are getting back to doing what they do best which is pounding the ball with Jamal. But if I had to choose, I’d go with McGahee for more long-term upside. After that, I’d probably protect Owens (as much as I hate to say it) but there are just so many uncertantities with him. I like Walker but don’t like the QB situation in Denver. Andre Johnson isn’t a bad option. If it were me, I’d go with:

Manning,
Portis
McGahee
Maroney
Owens
Johnson

Protecting a TE is pointless unless he’s Gates or Gonzo. After that, there’s too much parity.

Protecting a TE is pointless unless he's Gates or Gonzo. After that, there's too much parity.

I don’t know jcl, if it’s a keeper league i’d say Winslow has too much upside to just let go.

I don't know jcl, if it's a keeper league i'd say Winslow has too much upside to just let go.

He has upside but in terms of production, do you value him higher than an Owens, Johnson or even J. Lewis or Walker? Just not sure he’s gonna put up the numbers every week that those other guys will.

We’re in 2-man keeper league with the caveat that the keeper must come from the 41st pick or later. Kind of like it because it keeps you from protecting the top 40 studs in the league and forces you to draft wisely/gamble on guys. Just sucks I got B. Jacobs via free agency or I’d protect him with Tiki hanging it up. As it stands, I’ll probably have to protect a couple WR’s. Though, I’m hoping Cedric Benson gets traded so I can keep him around. He’s too good to be playing backup in Chicago.

He has upside but in terms of production, do you value him higher than an Owens, Johnson or even J. Lewis or Walker? Just not sure he's gonna put up the numbers every week that those other guys will.

I agree, but at the same time Owens is old and a quality TE is like a 3rd receiver in fantasy league. Winslow has that ability. But the fact that you can keep 5 is a little much, so i can see sticking with Walker over Winslow.

I’m in a 3 man keeper but you can’t keep 2 of 1 position. My quandry is I have Shaun Alexander and Reggie Bush. Figuring on keeping Bush, but Alexander is hard to let go. I’m also debating on whether or not to keep Marc Bulger.

I don’t know how the points in your league are awarded, so I’m listing my suggestions on the two sets that I usually play under:

[B][U]Traditional/Normal Scoring (ESPN and Yahoo Public Leagues)[/U][/B]

Manning - the best QB in fantasy and reality.
Portis - Though injury riddled the last two seasons, he is a point producer in Gibbs’ offense.
Maroney - When he takes over for Dillon, he will be a bad man. Reminds me of Walter Payton in style.
Owens - A head case, but still puts up big numbers.
McGahee - Still putting up good numbers on a below average team. When/if the Bills get a QB his numbers will improve. He is still young.

In normal-scoring league, RB’s are king. Keep as many as you can. The younger the better.

[B][U] Leagues That Award one point/reception[/U][/B]

Manning
Portis
Maroney - Has also shown he can catch and run.
Owens
Johnson - Houston’s go-to guy. He is a bigger point producer than McGahee in these leagues, by far.

I’m just going to float it out there - if you can deal McGahee for something good, a pick whatever, it might be worth it. I have a lot of friends up North, and word is that he’s not happy with his contract and is going to be in a full holdout mode next summer. Remember, he signed that deal when he was sitting out the year with knee surgery, and he ain’t making jack. He was leading the AFC in rushing for the first half of the season.

If you get reception points, or think that the Texans will draft Brady Quinn, etc., then keep AJ. He’s bad ass.

I’d also try to deal off the TE’s if I could, rather than keeping them.

PS I’m in my league’s confernece championship game this week.

I’d keep Manning, Portis, Maroney, AJ, Owens and then look to deal off McGahee, Walker and the two TE’s. Use Jamal as a throw-in if necessary. I hate to throw McGahee out to another team, so if you don’t get reception points it’s down to him vs. AJ, for me.

Manning - the best QB in fantasy and reality.

Tell that to Drew Brees (in terms of the here and now). Granted, I’ve never been a Manning fan but he’s looked pretty mediocre lately and until he can go on the road and win a big playoff game with the stud WR’s he’s had, I’ll never lable him as the best QB in reality. If I have to pick a QB to win one game for me, I’d take Brady 100x over before I would Manning and I hate the Patriots.

PS I'm in my league's confernece championship game this week.

Same here and I’m already sweating it. Had a 11-2 season and first round bye. The the guy I face barely got into the playoffs but his team is peaking (Brees, McGahee, Rudi Johnson, Driver, Harrison, Gonzalez, Carney, J’ville Defense). The fun starts for me tomorrow as I’m starting Hasselbeck vs San Fran. I’ll be a wreck on Sunday. Lot of money on the line.

If McGahee plays versus the Jets every week, then he is a definite keeper…but other than vs the Jets he has been pretty average that past 2 seasons.

Don’t sleep on the Mayor, he is coming into his own. I’d definetly consider him before an extremely overated Winslow. His numbers are comparable to many of the WR you have, but he is a #2 this year, while the others are #1s, his potential is just being tapped.

Keepers:

P. Manning
C. Portis
A. Johnson
J. Walker

Then either…

T. Owens (possible new coach, could be erratic based on his recent history, drops etc.)

J. Cotchery (1st year putting up very good numbers, also 1st time he has been given a chance to play, part of top 5 WR tandem in the NFL with a QB that has no arm)

L. Maroney (If Dillon isn’t a salary cap casualty then the 2 will share carries again next season, and its the Pats who do throw often and no depend on 1 player (other than Brady) to do well)

5 team keeper leagues must have extremly fun drafts…

[QUOTE=jcl49er;204753]Tell that to Drew Brees (in terms of the here and now). Granted, I’ve never been a Manning fan but he’s looked pretty mediocre lately and until he can go on the road and win a big playoff game with the stud WR’s he’s had, I’ll never lable him as the best QB in reality. If I have to pick a QB to win one game for me, I’d take Brady 100x over before I would Manning and I hate the Patriots.[/QUOTE]

The Colts have not been able to run the ball when it has counted either (in the playoffs). They let Pittsburgh blitz them to death last year and seemed to never counter it. They have little running game this year, and Manning is having to try to outscore everyone to makeup for their terrible defense. Last year they had the pieces, but no answers for the blitz in their last game.

Brady? Uh, no. Ask Miami how to stop him. Why it’s took this long to figure him out, I don’t know. He has rings, but so does Trent Dilfer. That does not necessarily make him a better QB. Since the NFL finally started calling holding on the Patriots clutch-and-grab defensive schemes, they haven’t faired as well in the playoffs either.

Brees has looked good this year and the last couple, but he has had good running backs everywhere he has been. He’s got two this year, and throwing that little floater to Bush his helping his passing stats tremendously. He has no playoff wins to his credit (0-1), and the Saints have not played a tough defense on the road this year (unless you count the Panthers). Baltimore dismantled them in the SuperDome. Let’s see how he does in the crunch at Seattle or Chicago, and then he’ll sell me.