WH's 2007-08 predictions/previews for the A-10

And the fun is about to begin. WH posted the following on the A-10 board today as a preliminary to his predictions/previews for the 2007-08 season:

[b]The Art of Winning[/b]

This time of year I am always trying to come up with a more “scientific” method of predicting success when I do my previews, but I am no closer now than I ever was. The human element cannot be forecast with any certainty. And that’s just as well. We all watch sports for the high drama, raw emotion and unknown outcome. The Buffalo-Dallas game is a good case in point.

In short, nothing in sports is preordained. (If Calvin lived now, he never would have erred!).

Still, college basketball is a simple game, and some truths are eternal. Sheer talent aside, the better teams tend to have more experience, good balance and great guard play. They can shoot and defend, hold their own on the boards and don’t make as many mistakes.

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, but the path to success is not hard to figure.

Looking at the best teams in the A-10 last season, these characteristics are quite evident.

The best team overall, Xavier, had tremendous experience, a good frontcourt, a great backcourt and terrific point play. The Musketeers also could shoot (2nd in the A-10 in treys), rebound (4th) and defend (4th in FG% defense). All the ingredients were there to go the Sweet 16 or better – and X almost did.

The next best team, UMass, had most of these characteristics, but not all. The team did not shoot well from outside and ball-handling was subpar. Those weakness proved costly. If Chris Lowe played at the beginning of the year like he did at the end, the Minutemen would have been dancing. Instead UMass finished with a negative turnover margin and went to the NIT instead.

GW was the third best team. The Colonials rode the experience of three seniors and one of the best backcourts in the league to the A-10 tournament title. The frontcourt wasn’t great, but the Colonials held their own on the boards and had more balance than most other league teams. GW shot well and the defense was terrific. One added plus for GW was turnover margin. The Colonials led the league. If the Colonials did not win the A-10 tournament, though, GW might not have gotten an NIT bid, either.

Rhode Island was the fourth best team. The Rams had pretty good frontcourt and a pretty good backcourt, but neither was great. Nor was URI’s defense all that great. What the Rams did, though, was lead the league in 3-point shooting and finish strong in rebounding (+2.4, 4th in the A-10). Just as important, URI had a few go-to scorers in Daniels and Baron.

So what do I draw from all this? Here are things I pay special attention to when I write my previews and set my predicted order of finish.

1A) Guard play. This is No. 1. Frankly, I dropped the ball on this one last year with GW, as Free Quebec rightly pointed out. I got spooked by the preseason injury to Cheyenne Moore and dropped the Colonials a few spots in my predicted order. The Colonials had the second best point guard in the league and one of the top three shooting guards. Both were also upperclassmen. In the A-10, you can get by without a top frontcourt if your guards are very talented and experienced.

1B) Point play. The three best teams in the A-10 last year had the three best point guards (Lavender, Elliott, Lowe). One reason the A-10 has not been as good in recent years is because we haven’t had enough good point guards. Good ball-handling means easier scoring and fewer turnovers (which leads to more possessions.)

1. Shooting. These days every good team has to shoot well – or have some offsetting strength. UMass was not a great outside shooting team last year, but its frontcourt was so good that the Minutemen were able to rise above that weakness. (BTW, this example is applicable to St. Joe’s this season).

Xavier, on the other hand, could put five 3-point shooters on the floor at any one time. That’s one reason it was the best team in the league. Almost every top A-10 team has at least two good 3-point shooters, and usually three.

1. Scoring. The best teams have at least three very reliable scorers, any of whom could be a go-to guy. Fordham probably would have been an NCAA team last year if the Rams still had Jermaine Anderson. They might be one this year if Brenton Butler becomes that third double-digit scorer. Similarly, Dayton could have been in the postseason if Gregory had an additional scorer to go along with Roberts. Monty Scott only showed up half the time and Charles Little didn’t come on strong till February.

2. Experience. An obvious one, but the best guards tend to be the most experienced and older teams make fewer mistakes. Older and more mature players can often overcome more talented but younger opponents.

3. Defense. Some coaches teach it and preach it more than others. The Hawks under Martelli are a good example. Yet while tough defense can overcome a lot, you still have to be able to score if you want to rise to the very top of the league.

4. Program. Winning programs beget more winning. Rarely do winning programs fall off the map even after big losses of talent. We’ve seen this repeatedly in the past few years with GW and St. Joe’s. An attitude is ingrained that’s hard to shake. On the reverse side, we see losing teams suffer from a constant lack of confidence. This intangible cannot be overlooked.

Oh, I almost forgot. The unbalanced A-10 sked. Fordham doesn’t go 10-6 in league play last year if not for this factor. The unbalanced sked plays no small role in where I place teams.

Link: WH - The Art of Winning thread on A-10 Board

This guy is sooooo good. I know we all lump praises on him every year, but I dont think it can be stressed enough. You really wont find any better previews of A-10 hoops anywhere!

I saw him resurface last week on the A10 boards. He is better than any publication I have seen. :clap:

[QUOTE=casstommy;261600]You really wont find any better previews of A-10 hoops anywhere![/QUOTE]
I agree.

Hello, Niners fans. Thanks for inflating my ego just a touch! I appreciate the kind words.

I had a lot of fun writing my Charlotte preview. Not saying that in a good way or bad. Just fun to write after crazy offseason. It’s taken a couple of years, but I finally think I can feel the pulse of the program (yeah, I know, it’s low, at least until the season starts).

That said, the Niners are the biggest X factor in the A-10 this year. I made what I think are educated guesses, but no one really has any idea how this team will do with all the new faces. It’s exciting and concerning at the same time.

Hey Run, check your messages on the A-10 board when you get a chance.

Good luck this year, fellas. Let’s hope Lutz rediscovers himself and gets back to the way Charlotte used to play – with, of course, some improvement in, say, offensive sets and defensive intensity!!!

WH, inflating your ego is just a side effect of the truth. We really appreciate the time you put into these. Your previews were especially helpful the first few years getting to know the other teams. I still print out the preview of the team we are playing the day of.

[QUOTE=W.H.;261731]That said, the Niners are the biggest X factor in the A-10 this year. I made what I think are educated guesses, but no one really has any idea how this team will do with all the new faces. It’s exciting and concerning at the same time.[/QUOTE]
Ha, we thought we had a clue about last year’s team ,but even they proved to be spotty at best. You have your hands full with this team, but I lookforward to an outsider’s view. Thanks again!

Some more words from WH…

[b]Odds and Ends[/b]

The first preview goes up in the next few days, and then they will come regularly. I have written and fully edited all of them. Just fiddling (still) with placement and revising in light of new info (Eric at Temple, Rivera at St. Joe’s, etc).

I won’t be doing a rating of coaches. Just ran out of time. It’s been an unusually hectic fall.

This is going to be a very interesting year, for a lot of reasons. I see tremendous parity and as many as nine teams that could think about winning the regular-season title or a conference tournament championship.

One thing that might allow some teams to make a move up is lack of depth among a handful of A-10 programs. Rarely does a team need to use 10 players on a regular basis, but it just takes a few injuries to play havoc. Xavier, St. Joe’s, Saint Louis and St. Bonaventure, despite widely varying levels of talent, are at risk.

I am especially concerned about some of our top teams. The A-10 tends to get hurt more by just a few key injuries than BCS schools because we rarely has as deep a talent pool.

Parity, of course, has its downside. Yes, the league games will be extremely competitive and hard fought, but we need a few teams to separate themselves.

Right now I see two teams that definitely should be in the NCAA tournament and another that’s very well positioned. Too much parity could jeopardize a second or third bid.

On the other hand, the noncon sked seems gives almost all our teams a chance to build an NCAA profile. It’s all about winning. The league is more experienced this year and it’s time to show it.

One case in which that is not true, however, is GW. Incredibly, the Colonials are only scheduled for 10 noncon games. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen this before, at least in a situation when 13 games are allowed. This is a darn near crime.

The game I am most looking forward to is St. Joe’s vs. Saint Louis. I think we are all excited to see Majerus coach, but I’d love to be at a press conference with RM and PM.

Link: Odds and Ends

WH begins with his All A-10 teams. Au’Juan Wilderness makes the All-Newcomer team.

[b]WH’s ALL-CONFERENCE TEAMS[/b]

FIRST TEAM

Drew Lavender, Xavier – One of the top point guards in the nation. Great shooter, too.

Ahmad Nivins, Saint Joseph’s – Efficient low-post scorer is an NBA prospect.

Tommie Liddell, Saint Louis – He’s a small forward, big guard and point guard all rolled into one.

Will Daniels, Rhode Island – Best inside-out player in the league.

Brian Roberts, Dayton – This great scorer is the focus of more defensive attention than any other A-10 player.

Player of the Year -Drew Lavender

SECOND TEAM

Bryant Dunston, Fordham – Scores inside, rebounds, blocks shots, even hits a few treys.

Shawn James, Duquesne – Nation’s best shotblocker is not a bad scorer, either.

Dionte Christmas, Temple – Explosive scorer lights up defenses like an, um, Christmas tree.

Mark Tyndale, Temple – Strong small forward can score inside or out and run the offense.

Kevin Lisch, Saint Louis – Shooter deluxe scores in the clutch and is also one of the league’s best defenders.

THIRD TEAM

Maureece Rice, George Washington – Power guard can score with the best, set up teammates or pick an opponent’s pocket.

Gary Forbes, Massachusetts – Small forward is a streaky scorer, good rebounder and passer.

Jim Baron Jr., Rhode Island – One of the deadliest long-range shooters in the nation.

Pat Calathes, Saint Joseph’s – Versatile 6-10 forward is a nightmare for other teams – and sometimes for his coach.

Marcus Stout, Fordham – Big guard is a crafty scorer and clutch performer.

ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM

Shawn James, Duquesne – A great shotblocker who will shore up the Dukes’ leaky defense.

Kevin Lisch, Saint Louis – In-your-face defender is hard to shed.

Sebastian Greene, Fordham – Versatile defender can guard bigmen and point guards.

Bryant Dunston, Fordham – Good shotblocker still fouls too much but makes opponents hesitate.

Mark Tyndale, Temple – Physical defender gets a lot of steals, too.

Defensive Player of the Year - Shawn James

ALL-NEWCOMER TEAM

Chris Wright, Dayton – World-class athlete is an opportunistic scorer who can board and block shots.

Lavoy Allen, Temple – Talented center will get plenty of minutes on the smallest team in the league.

Malcom Eleby, St. Bonaventure – Maybe the best freshman point guard in the league, Eleby is the only true point on a short-handed St. Bonnies roster.

An’Juan Wilderness, Charlotte – The 6-6 forward, one of the top players in Georgia two years ago, is strong and quick to the glass. He defends, too.

Damian Saunders, Duquesne – Former Marquette signee is an explosive athlete who could fill a need at small forward.

Other nominees:

Phil Jones, Charlotte
Bill Clark, Duquesne
Xavier Alexander, GW
Jerrell Williams, LaSalle
Gary Correia, UMass
Max Groebe, UMass
Kevin Anderson, Richmond
Justin Harper, Richmond
Idris Hilliard, St. Joe’s
Marcus Relphorde, Saint Louis
Martavis Kee, Temple
Dante Jackson, Xavier

Link: WH’s ALL-CONFERENCE TEAMS

GO A-10!

Bona brings up the bottom of the league…

[b]A-10 PREVIEW – 14TH PLACE[/b]

ST. BONAVENTURE BONNIES
Last year: 7-22 (4-12), 13th place

INSTITUTION
St. Bonaventure University
Founded: 1858
Enrollment: 2,400
Affiliation: Private Catholic co-educational university

COACH
Mark Schmidt, 1st year (7th overall)
Record at St. Bonaventure: 0-0 (82-90 overall; 47.7% winning percentage)

ARENA
Reilly Center
Seats: 5,570
Average attendance 2006-07: 4,312

ROSTER
1 Zarryon Fereti SR WG 6-3 190 Australia/Southern Idaho CC
*5 Michael Lee SR WF 6-8 205 West Palm Beach, FL
*10 Tyler Relph SR G 6-0 185 Victor, NY/West Virginia
12 Tyler Benson JR F/G 6-7 210 Morgantown, WV/Massanutten Military (VA)
20 Malcom Eleby FR PG 6-3 195 Philadelphia, PA
21 Da’Quan Cook FR F 6-9 220 Elizabeth, NJ/The Miller School (VA)
24 Hillary Haley FR G/F 6-6 210 Waldorf, MD/North Atlanta Prep (GA)
25 Delonte Taylor FR G 6-4 210 Washington, DC/Lutheran Christian Academy ¶
33 Matt Morgan FR F 6-8 210 Landover, MD/St. Thomas More (CT)
50 D’Lancy Carter JR F-C 6-10 256 Houston, TX/Vincennes JC

*Returning starters

OVERVIEW

New coach Mark Schmidt is certainly familiar with the Atlantic 10. He was a seven-year assistant at Xavier under Skip Prosser. Yet Schmidt has become less familiar with winning since he left the Queen City. He went 82-90 in six years as head coach of Robert Morris and his final season there was considered a disappointment. Expected to vie for the Northeast Conference title, a turmoil-ridden Robert Morris squad sputtered to a 17-11 record.

But give Schmidt credit. After several candidates spurned St. Bonaventure, he plunged into a rebuilding job as massive as Boston’s Big Dig (and probably just as messy). The Bonnies have won just 25 games in the past four years following a player-eligibility scandal. And they are not about to start winning soon.

The most pressing task is to identify good players. Former coach Anthony Solomon signed a bunch of junior-college transfers, but most did not work out and the roster is almost as bare as an Olean winter. Schmidt has done a yeoman’s job already just to find five recruits who he hopes can play at the A-10 level, but only three are eligible this year and the program has just 10 players suiting up. This is a team that cannot afford any injuries.

It will probably take two or three recruiting classes before the program is in a position to win again – and only if Schmidt shows a keen eye for talent and a devotion to defense. His record in both regards at Robert Morris is mixed.

DEPARTED PLAYERS

Paul Williams – Solid if unspectacular bigman gave the smallish Bonnies a presence in the paint. He finished third in the team in scoring (10.7 ppg, 55% FG) and was the top rebounder (7.2 rpg). Yet Williams did not improve on a promising junior campaign and his senior year has to be seen as a disappointment. He turned the ball over far too much (84 turnovers) and was constantly in foul trouble. Rarely did he take over a game inside.

A.J. Hawkins – By the time the season was over, the high-flying 6-5 sophomore had blossomed into the team’s best player, but he tired of Olean and the Bonnies’ losing ways. He transferred closer to home at Wichita State. Hawkins finished second in scoring (12.2 ppg, 45% FG, 35% 3PG) and third in rebounding (5.2 rpg) and he was the Bonnies’ best defender. New coach Mark Schmidt will miss Hawkins’ ability to break down defenses with his quickness and explosive moves to the rim.

Terron Diggs – The 6-0 guard retained the starting point position for the second year in a row by default: the Bonnies had no one better. Diggs couldn’t shoot (30% FG) or create offense with dribble penetration (2.6 apg), but he didn’t turn the ball over much. He got the Bonnies into their offense and played sound defense. Still, Schmidt will need much better play at point if the program’s fortunes are to improve.

Jermaine Calvin – Junior-college transfer, a onetime recruit of Rick Majerus at Utah, was supposed to take Diggs’ job. His failure is telling. Calvin (2.2 ppg, 2.8 apg) took more than a few ill-advised shots and often veered out of control. A few games before the season ended, Calvin quit after mounting tension with Solomon. The new staff did not welcome him back despite a very short bench.

Jourdan Morris – Athletic 6-6 forward from Maryland transferred after a spotty freshman season (2.9 ppg, 44% FG, 1.9 rpg). He showed some maneuverability in the post and ran the floor well, but his offense was far from polished. He did a good job on the boards in limited minutes and showed promise as a defender. While not star material, he might have become a suitable reserve.

Lounceny Kaba – Bouncy 6-8 forward blocked some shots (15 in 126 minutes), but the Guinean native was one of the least skilled players to ever suit up in the A-10. His offensive contribution was comparable to the coaching performance of the man who recruited him.

Ivan Kovacevic – Croatian-born juco bigman (1.5 ppg) was not particularly skilled or athletic and played sparingly in two seasons.

James Williams Jr. – The 6-4 slasher, one of many Solomon recruits from the juco ranks who did not pan out, left the program after six games. He scored 12 points in a loss at Albany but was otherwise a nonfactor.

RETURNING PLAYERS

Michael Lee – Once a 190-pound freshman from Florida, Lee has been a regular in the weightroom and added 25 pounds of muscle. The same effort, however, has not been consistently shown on the court. His performance actually deteriorated as a junior. His scoring and rebounding averages (12.8 ppg, 6.2 rpg) remained the same, but his field goal percentage fell (44%), his turnovers rose sharply (79 from 50) and his defense was mediocre. At one point he was even taken out of the starting lineup.

When he plays well, Lee is a solid A-10-level starter. He is a versatile scorer out to 15 feet who’s most effective facing up with the ball. Lee likes to take a few dribbles and attack the basket from just outside the low blocks or pull up for jumpers on the corners of the free-throw line. He’s still not strong enough to score regularly down low and has trouble defending bulkier opponents, but he also presents a mismatch because of his quickness and length. The job of the new staff is to get Lee to play well all the time, but that might not be an easy task on a team likely to struggle anew.

Tyler Relph – The onetime West Virginia Mountaineer has had a checkered career after his transfer. He’s struggled repeatedly with foot problems that have curtailed his mobility and hampered his shot. A great shooter in high school, he’s hit just 35% of his 3-pointers since suiting up for the Bonnies two years ago. And Relph is barely adequate on defense.

As a fifth-year senior, Relph knows his team is not going to win much, but he still loves to play. He did shoot better (9.6 ppg, 37% 3PG) and Relph is too dangerous to be left alone. He has deep range and launches his shot quickly; more than two-third of his baskets came from beyond the arc. Relph is less dangerous when forced to run the team. Unfortunately for Relph, he won’t be able to dodge backup duty because of how thin the Bonnies are at that position. The less he plays at point, though, the better. He can help his team the most by stretching defenses and making the smart decisions expected of an upperclassman.

Tyler Benson – Buried on the bench his first two seasons, Benson (3.9 ppg, 34% 3PG) made the most of an opportunity to play at the end of last year. After three players left the team, he was given extended minutes. Benson scored a career high 24 points in a win over Duquesne (5-10 treys) and followed up with a 10-point outing vs. Fordham and 8 points against Charlotte. Like Relph, Benson is mostly a shooter. He doesn’t put the ball on the floor much or score inside and his defense is mediocre at best.

Given a chance, though, Benson has shown he can stretch defenses. If he can shore up the other parts of his game, he’ll become a regular contributor. Benson reportedly packed on some muscle during the summer and improved his conditioning. Good thing, too. He’ll have to spend some of his time defending the interior on an undersized Bonnies squad.

Zarryon Fereti – Australian swingman is getting a second bite of the apple. Solomon kicked him off the team just before last season ended, but the new staff allowed him back. So what are they getting? An explosive scorer, for one thing. The trigger-happy Fereti averaged 12 points a game and tallied a season high 26 in a win over Saint Louis. The athletic 6-4 slasher can drain the long ball – he hit 5 treys in three different games – but he’s also a human tomahawk chop who likes to attack the basket.

The problem is, Fereti plays out of control. He doesn’t know what a bad shot looks like (33% FG, 32% 3PG) and he’s easy pickings for any defender looking to take a charge. He can take his team out of a game as fast as he can shoot it into one. The task for Schmidt is to introduce discipline into Fereti’s game. He’s the sort of player who makes coaches pull out their hair – though that shouldn’t be a big deal for the Bonnies’ balding new coach.

NEWCOMERS

Malcom Eleby – Tough 6-3 floor general from Philadelphia will see lots of action. He’s the only true point on the roster and might be one of the best freshmen in the A-10. Eleby, a lefty, has good floor vision and ball-handling skills. He likes to penetrate and score or kick out to the shooters. Long and athletic, he’ll even grab some offensive boards in traffic or hound opponents on defense. Eleby is not much of an outside shooter and he’ll have to learn how to create when there’s no open path to the lane. The more shooters on the floor, the more effective Eleby will be.

DaQuan Cook – New Jersey native spent a year in prep school in Virginia. He’s a mobile combo forward with good jumping ability who’s most effective around the basket. He’s raw offensively, however, and a so-so shooter. The 6-8 Cook could become a solid player in time. He has A-10 level athleticism but needs more than a few wax jobs. (The eligibility of Cook was held up in October by the NCAA and unresolved when practice began.)

Hillary Haley – The 6-6 swingman from Maryland, a onetime East Carolina signee, is a highly athletic slasher who’s most effective in the open floor. He likes to attack the basket and has the potential to be a top defender.

Delonte Taylor – Son of a former NBA player is an athletic scoring guard with a solid outside shot. The 6-3, 210-pound Taylor is also strong enough to fight inside for rebounds and get some putbacks.

D’Lancy Carter – A 6-10 center, the junior-college transfer is not much of an offensive threat, but he’s tall and athletic and gives the smallish Bonnies a physical post presence. He’s a decent rebounder and shotblocker and scores on an occasional putback.

Matt Morgan – The 6-8 forward is more of a perimeter player. Morgan has a nice stroke out to the 3-point line, if not the quickest release. He’s probably not physically ready, however, to contribute much as a freshman.

SCOUTING REPORT

The Bonnies were the worst defensive team in the A-10 under the prior coaching staff. Schmidt says that’s going to change, and it has to. While the program may lack talent and numbers, everyone can play defense. St. Bonaventure won’t stand a chance of winning unless it plays harder than its opponents at both ends of the floor.

The Bonnies also have to play better defense because points won’t be easy to come by. St. Bonaventure lacks a major inside threat and the school finished near the bottom of the league in 3-point shooting.

What’s more, Schmidt does not have enough players to go full out with a press and generate lots of buckets in transition. The Bonnies will even have trouble scoring after missed shots. They are not big enough to win the battle of the offensive boards – or, for that matter, the defensive boards.

The Bonnies do have some options. Lee can score a bit in the paint and act as a focal point on offense. Fereti is a streaky 3-point shooter and likes to slash to the basket. Relph and junior Tyler Benson are solid long-range marksmen.

Some of the newcomers have to deliver immediately. The most likely candidate is Eleby, a big point guard who can score. He will start from Day One. Haley and Taylor also have good credentials as scorers in the prep ranks.

PREDICTION

A freshman point guard, spotty perimeter game, smallish frontcourt and thin bench—those aren’t the ingredients for a winning program. Absent a major miracle, the small Catholic school is unlikely to avoid second straight 20-loss season and the fourth in five years. The program is deficient in every category and only a massive infusion of talent and athleticism can cure what ails the Bonnies.

There are plenty of opportunities for moral victories, however. Consider Schmidt’s first year on the job well done if the Bonnies play hard, keep the scores close and get better.

Schmidt needs time, just not as much as Solomon got. He also needs patience, though not necessarily of the saintly sort. A few transfers or jucos might help the program heal faster, but St. Bonaventure should resist the temptation of the quick fix. Find good four-year players and develop them. It’s the well-worn path to success in the Atlantic 10.

Record: 5-24 (1-15), 14th place

NONCON SCHEDULE

I apologize to Bonnies fans for such a tough assessment, but unless some of the newcomers (Taylor and Haley especially) are very good, I have a hard time figuring out who this team can beat.

If Schmidt turns out to be a huge improvement on Solomon, I can see the Bonnies winning as many as three A-10 games and maybe another pair of noncongames. If Bona wins 10 games total, Schmidt should be A-10 coach of the year.

L – at Boston University
W – BINGHAMTON
L – Loyola Marymount (Albuquerque, NM)
L – At New Mexico (Albuquerque, NM)
W – Presbyterian (Albuquerque, NM)
W – EASTERN MICHIGAN
L – At Niagara
W – CANISIUS
L – At Ohio
W – ALBANY
L – At Hampton
L – At Wright State
L – At Binghamton
L – BUCKNELL

This is not a tough sked, but almost any team in Division 1 can compete with the Bonnies. BU is pretty good and tough defensively. The New Mexican tournament is no walk in the park, though the Bonnies should get a win over non-Division 1 team Presbyterian.

Niagara, Ohio, Hampton and Wright State are all solid programs that should be expected to win at home. Even some games I mark as win, such as Albany, are tough. I figure the Bonnies get revenge on the Albany coach for spurning Olean.

Link: A-10 PREVIEW – 14TH PLACE

no leemire?

Ninerball49, this is what WH had to say on the A-10 board about his picks:

Among the other players I considered for this list are [b]Leemire Goldwire[/b], Charles Little, Kojo Mensah, Kieron Achara, Rob Diggs, Wynton Witherspoon, Damian Hollis, Darnell Harris, Chris Lowe, Kaheim Seawright, Dan Geriot, Michael Lee, Tasheed Carr, CJ Anderson and Derrick Brown.

I would not be surprised if someone not listed here breaks into the official All-Conference list at season’s end, but for the most part, we all know who the good players and the potentially good players are.

Can’t say I disagree with his picks, though. There’s a lot of talent in the league this season.

WH on the OOC…

[b]Non Conference Schedule[/b]

After marking the skeds, I came up with a projected league record of 119-67. Just to be safe, I chopped off five wins and will officially predict 114-72.

As usual, I was very conservative. I marked as losses almost every game vs. a BCS league as well as any game at a good midmajor.

So what explains a projected record that would be the best in years? It seems like
A-10 teams are playing a ton of home games and skedding teams they can and should beat. Few look like total RPI dogs, but many of our opponents are eminently beatable.

How will this affect our SOS and RPI? I am not sure. Others are the RPI experts here. We play a number of BCS teams, mixed in with twice the amount of beatable midmajors.

Link: Non Conference Schedule

For those who would like to discuss the pros and cons of WH’s picks with him and our fellow A-10 fans, you will notice that I am posting the links to the original threads on the A-10 board. His All Conference picks have already generated 3 pages worth of debate! :lol:

Well, I guess it’s a good thing he didn’t pick us dead last.

10th. Just guessing.

There is no way he can justify leaving Big Phil off the all newcommers list. The guy was a top 150 recruit who, if his academics were straightened out, may have ended up at Indiana, Kentucky, or UCONN. He is a 6’10, 280 lb beast of a center in a league that doesnt have many premier post players.

Plus how Leemire isnt at least 3rd team is beyond me.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;261991]There is no way he can justify leaving Big Phil off the all newcommers list. The guy was a top 150 recruit who, if his academics were straightened out, may have ended up at Indiana, Kentucky, or UCONN. He is a 6’10, 280 lb beast of a center in a league that doesnt have many premier post players.

Plus how Leemire isnt at least 3rd team is beyond me.[/QUOTE]
I agree Chisox, but under the radar isn’t a bad place to be. I’d rather be on the fianl official list than projected well.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;261991]There is no way he can justify leaving Big Phil off the all newcommers list. The guy was a top 150 recruit who, if his academics were straightened out, may have ended up at Indiana, Kentucky, or UCONN. He is a 6’10, 280 lb beast of a center in a league that doesnt have many premier post players.

Plus how Leemire isnt at least 3rd team is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

Chisox, I’m not sure Phil is eligible for the A-10 All Rookie team since technically he’s a sophomore this season. As WH pointed out in the thread on the A-10 board, under league criteria, the All Rookie team is limited to freshman – no transfers or JUCOs. Otherwise, Shawn James would be on that list.

As concerns Goldwire, I can understand why he didn’t make WH’s top 15 since the Niners aren’t expected to be an upper half team in 07-08. The good thing is that LG can have a great senior season and make the official All A-10 team since everything here is all speculation.

Hey Run, what is the schedule that WH is releasing all the previews?

[QUOTE=run49er;262009]
As concerns Goldwire, I can understand why he didn’t make WH’s top 15 since the Niners aren’t expected to be an upper half team in 07-08.[/QUOTE]

Probably the best reason as to why he wouldn’t make one of the All-Conference teams. Leemire would have to be exceptional if he were to make the All-Conference squad if the Niners finish below the A-10 .500 line. There usually are not many players in any conference who make their All-Conference list while their team is closer to the bottom of the conference. There are exceptions, but as I said, those players are exceptional. My guess is that if Leemire is exceptional in his senior season, the Niners will be above the .500 line in the A-10 and it will not be an issue.