Why can't we finish off games?

Just wondering what the general consensus on this is. We are a team of junior’s and seniors(only two underclassmen get any minutes), closing out games should not be an issue for us. But it is our biggest flaw this year, if we finished games we would be 5-0 with a 25 point average margin of victory. I know free throws is the easy answer, but to me it seems like we play a different game the second half. Whatever worked in the first half we abandon down the stretch.

We are a vetern team, we need to grow up really quickly or it’s going to be a long long year.

And i’m not putting officiating because that’s the worst, easiest cop-out there is.

I don’t think you can point to just one reason. If I had to rank them, I’d say…

1. Free throws
  2. Defense
  3. Coaching
  4. Shot selection

Normally, I don’t think fatigue is a factor as all of our guys look to be in pretty good shape this year. Last night in may have factored in some with the 3 OTs.

My feeling is that it’s free throws. We can blame Lutz and other factors however, the fact remains if Plavich or Withers hit their free throws, we are talking today about what a huge win it is for our program and if we are going to hit the top 25 any time soon.

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 02:39 PM [b]Normally, I don't think fatigue is a factor as all of our guys look to be in pretty good shape this year. Last night in may have factored in some with the 3 OTs.[/b]
I just put it because our shooting(especially 3 point percentage) has been down in the 2nd half for most of our games this year. That ties into shot selection as well, but it just seems like our guys are missing the shots they are making in the 1st half. There has to be some reason for the drop off when they are shooting many of the same shots, they just aren't falling in the second half.

why are refs not a choice?

It’d be hard not to say free throws are the main reason. Wheather it’s Rutgers, Alabama or App State, we need leadership that won’t allow losing these close ones.

I want Curtis to demand the ball, get it, then dunk it or be fouled and make free throws. And it would be nice if, upon dunking the ball, he made a lot of grunting noises or yelled like Larry Johnson used to at UNLV.

I know our team will adapt and get better. I don’t see us losing close ones like this later in the season, save the last game.

I trust in Bob.