Why the CAA isn't good for all sports!!

CAA schools have been cutting men’s sports left and right, look at JMU a few years ago cut several sports, XC and Track being 3 of them and they were a great program, now Delaware is cutting their 100 year old Men’s XC and track program and lied as to why they’re doing it, especially when they say it’s Title IX(it wasn’t) and Men’s XC only cost them $20k a year and they put their football team up in hotels FOR HOME GAMES!!! costing the university an average of $7k a home game.

I know we have great athletic program here at Charlotte because all sports are supported and Football will not be the demise to our successful non revenue Men’s sports, but take the time to see the evil that is in the CAA please view this video of the Delaware AD… http://www.jeffpearlman.com/index.php?s=delaware

being a former athlete from a non revenue sport(XC/Track) I would like the big sports fan know that even though we may not generate revenue like basketball and football, we do generate respect from the community and our peers when our athletes stay out of trouble, get good grades, and whoop up on the competition. We love competing for our school as much any other athlete sometimes maybe even more(running a 100 miles a week isn’t just for pure enjoyment all the time).

So when those CAA haters keep saying how they don’t want us for football only, ask them what sports they have left that will help Charlotte’s image, a 3 team conference meet for track doesn’t sound all that fun to me. And that’s one thing the A10 has over the CAA is that they aren’t pushing AD’s and Schools away from Non-Revenue sports.

I’ll break it down in one sentence.
27 years, 3 multiple bids to the Dance. Period.

Why leave a conference that gets 2 bids in an awful year for one that gets one. For FCS football??? Seriously??

Yep. I would hate if nobody (FCS conference) was willing to let us in for football only, but if that’s the case, I guess I would rather stay independent until a FBS conference comes calling.

IMHO we have to find a conference home for FCS. Assuming the BCS/FBS/FCS landscape even exists in 5-10 years (i.e. there is a congressional break-up of the BCS, the BCS schools leave to form their own association, or any other of 5000 possible scenarios) we most likely are not going to be ready for a jump to a BCS conference without some considerable time spent in a Sun Belt/CUSA/WAC type FBS league first, and it might be 10 years from now before we even land in one of those leagues.

As an independent, scheduling is going to continue to be a nightmare. And while we might get to play a wider variety of schools as an independent per se…it can only help us to develop a conference rivalry even if its in the Big South. Being in a relatively local conference will also create more travel-able games for the fanbase. It will also make it easier to make the playoffs by having a chance to win the league.

We’ve got to be thankful for what we have. FBS dreams are nice and I know we are going to get there someday. But we’ve got to crawl before we can walk. I think its admirable that we are considering the future landscape and trying to put ourselves in the best position possible to make FBS a viable option in the future. For now, we need a conference and a head coach and a recruiting class and a stadium and a larger fan base. When we accomplish all that, we can move up to winning tournament games, selling out the stadium, and getting some local and regional accolades. THEN, we can start thinking about the FBS level (after 2-3 years of inevitable feasibility studies).

Again, just my opinion.

Still rolling on the JMU board. Judy really pissed them off:

http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?p=1453474#post1453474

I don’t like that they are potentially cutting non-revenue sports. But we already have a rivalry problem. Playing in one conference for basketball and a different one for football just sounds like a nightmare. I would prefer to be in one conference for all sports. And of those conferences that seem to be an option for FCS, the Colonial seems to be the best.

Might not be of too much interest to most on the board, but it gives a good look at what the alums of Delaware think about their AD and Football at UD…

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=3906583&page=0

and know that i’m a huge proponent FOR football, i was the faculty advisor for the CFI-S grass roots operation and one of the guys going to secret meetings, just wanted to show the other side of college athletics…

super excited for football and where it is going to take our university, athletic department, etc…!

I’m working hard to keep our track/xc alumni up to date on stuff and get them to be 49er club members, several very excited about coming back in 2013!!!

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:5, topic:24943”]Still rolling on the JMU board. Judy really pissed them off:

http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?p=1453474#post1453474[/quote]

That is a TON of butthurt

[quote=“BleEDgreen49er, post:8, topic:24943”]and know that i’m a huge proponent FOR football, i was the faculty advisor for the CFI-S grass roots operation and one of the guys going to secret meetings, just wanted to show the other side of college athletics…

super excited for football and where it is going to take our university, athletic department, etc…!

I’m working hard to keep our track/xc alumni up to date on stuff and get them to be 49er club members, several very excited about coming back in 2013!!![/quote]

Best damn advisor we ever had :slight_smile:

Only way I can endorse Big South membership is if Dubious comes out and says “we’ll play in the Big South for just 5 years and we’ll decide in that time whether we are moving to the CAA for all sports or moving to an FBS conference all sports”.

The winner of the Big South has as much chance of winning or hosting a NCAA FCS football playoff game as a turd has of getting back up in an ass after it hits the bowl.

A Big South membership tells me one of two things. Either we ARE fasttracking to FBS or Phil/Judy are just plain crazy.

A CAA membership tells me “get used to FCS football cause we’re gonna be here a few decades.”

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:11, topic:24943”]The winner of the Big South has as much chance of winning or hosting a NCAA FCS football playoff game as a turd has of getting back up in an ass after it hits the bowl.

A Big South membership tells me one of two things. Either we ARE fasttracking to FBS or Phil/Judy are just plain crazy.

A CAA membership tells me “get used to FCS football cause we’re gonna be here a few decades.”[/quote]
Coastal hosted a 1st round FCS playoff game this past season: http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112110aaa.html

I don’t think a Stony-Brook-styled-membership with the Big South would be too crazy. Sign a contract for 4-5 seasons, take care of a big chunk of your scheduling, remind recruits that you’re playoff-eligible thru the auto-bid, and re-up your contract if necessary (like Stony Brook just did).

Or, midway through our contract with the Big South, we could explore joining another league for when the term expires (like Rhode Island arranging to join the NEC two seasons from now)

[quote=“BleEDgreen49er, post:8, topic:24943”]and know that i’m a huge proponent FOR football, i was the faculty advisor for the CFI-S grass roots operation and one of the guys going to secret meetings, just wanted to show the other side of college athletics…

I’m working hard to keep our track/xc alumni up to date on stuff and get them to be 49er club members, several very excited about coming back in 2013!!![/quote]
Oh! It’s you! I was at those meetings too! 2nd what Gill said.

Glad to still have you with us supporting the school. We need more alums like yourself.