Will Healy expected to be Charlotte's next Head FB Coach

Honestly after looking at his resume, talking with some HS coaches in CLT area overall review is positive. Sure, some are likeā€¦who the hell is this, but Iā€™ll give him a shot. Letā€™s get this bread

I think the word ā€˜intriguedā€™ best describes how I feel right now. Iā€™ll be very curious to read/hear what Mike Hill has to say about him and how he presents himself at his introductory press conference.

In regards to it not being a splashy name, Iā€™m of the opinion there was no one we could hire, including Mike Houston, that would make people show up in noticeable numbers. We have more than enough data on the Charlotte market to know that. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Healy has head coaching experience, is young, and is probably looking to make a name for himself. I see all those things as positive.

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to jump off a bridge, but I would have liked to see another year with this guy at AP. A lot of coaches can grab one special year out of a bottle. Can he maintain that? After a drop this year, it would have been interesting to see how things went next year. It does appear he can recruit, even if itā€™s FCS, and recruiting is the life blood of any program. Also, our ā€œpool of great candidatesā€ probably was a very shallow pool. Canā€™t wait to hear Hillā€™s presser.

I think our real priorities were as follows:

Recruiting
Recruiting
Recruiting
Recruiting
Recruiting
Recruiting
Recruiting
Head Coaching Experience

Iā€™d honestly hope we can retain Spencer or drop serious bank on the coordinator replacements. Our coordinators will be critical to Healyā€™s success here.

In High School Healy ā€œwas an all-state quarterback at [Boyd-Buchanan School] where he still holds the Chattanooga-area career passing record (7,700+yds)ā€

I can tell you one thing that is going to change at Charlotte!

We may have hired the guy who shouldā€™ve replaced the guy we wanted to hire.

By that time heā€™d likely have been well beyond our grasp.

It was only a matter of time before Healy got grabbed up. Even another year at AP couldā€™ve sent him elsewhere.

Iā€™m in, I like it. Couple guys at work have come up and said it was a good hire, said he was ā€œSouthern PJ Fleckā€.

I think age and lack of experience is two things that make me pause. Some may say age isnā€™t that important. This guy is actually older than Sean McVay who coaches the LA Rams. So thereā€™s that. Hill is taking a shot. Prob couldā€™ve played it safe. I appreciate him taking the approach of ā€œbeing okay is not okay.ā€

I havenā€™t heard his name in any other search rumors. Maybe we snatched him up early and maybe that was necessary. I would have like to have seen 2-3 more years of experience.

I hope he does well.

Sometimes it takes the foresight of a very good Athletic Director to see potential in an up and coming coach, and catch him before his demand goes up. Tom Butters saw that with a 33 year old Mike Krzyzewski. Butters hired Coach K coming off a 9-17 season at Army. Imagine that.

1 Like

Excellent point and Iā€™ll take the optimistic side of things. No need to fret about age or lack of experience. Heā€™s our coach now and letā€™s rally behind him. Itā€™s an out of the box hire and I can appreciate what Hill is trying to do.

If Hill thought Healy was the next Coach K he wouldnā€™t have made an offer to Houston, and thatā€™s one example out of thousands.

The Houston hire was botched. We didnā€™t get the coach we wanted. This hire is certainly more risky. There seems to be a lot of potential in this hire. Letā€™s hope it works out.

1 Like

Hill has proven to have some stones. Cutting loose Houston, hiring a young blood FCS type. I like Healyā€™s character, I like his insistence that players act as gentlemen. Weā€™ll see. Go Niners.

3 Likes

From an MTSU fan on the CUSA forum (BlueraiderJT):

Iā€™ve heard him interviewed quite a bit since Iā€™m in the Nashville area. Let me tell you something. This dude is the real deal! APSU was beyond abysmal before he got there. Iā€™m talkin 0-11 on the regular. He turned them into a winner in a hurry. He had to implement a completely different mindset with players that werenā€™t his. Not easy to do. He did it. After i heard an interview late last season with him. I wanted to run through a wall. He will get it done. He needs to hold on to the DC. Keep your DC. That dude is legit next level. If we lose ours this season. I want him no doubt. But you guys got a hell of a hire. If he can win at Peay, heā€™ll turn yā€™all into Clemson. Just wait.

1 Like

Worth the watch.

This is high risk with hopefully a high reward if he pans out. I really hope heā€™s able to recruit and we see big improvements.

Welcome to Charlotte coach!

This is what I posted in the prospective coaches thread:

When things went south last week, one name emerged. Thatā€™s Will Healy, head coach at Austin Peay. My first reaction was ā€œWHO THE HELL IS THIS GUY.ā€ So I did some research, and I really like him.

A wise man once told me that in order to succeed at football, you either have to be really good, or really different. Will Healy is the latter.

The basics: He turned around the worst program in college football. He inherited a team on a 29 game losing streak. I mean like had to practice around animal feces on the practice field bad. first season 0-11, next season went 8-5. He was 5-6 last year. I recognize that doesnā€™t look great. He is known for his recruiting. Several times had the best class in FCS as recruiting coordinator at UTC, and had the best class at APU a couple years ago. For reference, they were about 10 spots behind our program, but heā€™s at FCS Austin Peay.

Heā€™s not an offensive guru, or a defensive guru, heā€™s a people guru. He is high energy, and high character. The guy is a CEO, salesman, Dabo Type.

The first thing he did when he got to AP was change the logo. The reason was the confusion of the general public as to what (and where) in the world Austin Peay is/was. (Does this sound familiar? because it should)

Another thing he does, is he demands his kids go out and introduce themselves to anybody who is interested in the program. The reason: ā€œAustin Peay needs fans.ā€ Sound Familiar?

I listened to some of his tape about culture building from a clinic, and so many things just struck a nerve with who and what we are as a program.

• Local recruiting should always be first
  • Uniforms need to be exciting. kids can be shallow about this.
  • Jucos can really help your football team
  • Filming body language

He fund raises like a bat out of hell. When is the last time we had someone who honestly stated their dedication to fund raising?

The part that struck the biggest nerve with me was his statement in the clinic video about not being afraid to make enemies with the people who are stuck to doing things the ā€œold way,ā€ and if he feels like heā€™s making kids better, he doesnā€™t care about making people angry. My goodness what a concept.

I know if we hire this guy, some of yā€™all are gonna want to scream, but I really think heā€™s worth a shot.

2 Likes