Will Shamari Spears return this season?

[quote=“Niner National, post:18, topic:24424”][quote=“sokool, post:17, topic:24424”]Spears was rated by rivals the 16th best small forward in the nation. Hard to believe that some think we would better off without him. Whether you want him or not/like his attitude or not the reality is WE NEED HIM.[/quote]We need his scoring. We don’t needs his lack ofdefense, lack ofrebounding ability, lack ofpassing ability, turnovers, or attitude.

I don’t care what Spears was ranked. He lacks so many components of being a complete basketball player that he isn’t going to make or break this team.[/quote]

FTFY.

Spears can rebound
 he just didn’t this season.

[quote=“MKNiner, post:21, topic:24424”][quote=“Niner National, post:18, topic:24424”][quote=“sokool, post:17, topic:24424”]Spears was rated by rivals the 16th best small forward in the nation. Hard to believe that some think we would better off without him. Whether you want him or not/like his attitude or not the reality is WE NEED HIM.[/quote]We need his scoring. We don’t needs his lack ofdefense, lack ofrebounding ability, lack ofpassing ability, turnovers, or attitude.

I don’t care what Spears was ranked. He lacks so many components of being a complete basketball player that he isn’t going to make or break this team.[/quote]

FTFY.[/quote]

We need him if he’s willing to play for Major. If not, he does nothing to help us long term. I think caring about the short term is important, but we need to rebuild this program. I’m okay with taking lumps one year to be better in the future. We can’t reload, we’re not at that level. Maybe one day, but we need to build the foundation. Xavier wasn’t built overnight. Even Mempiss under Calipari took time.[/quote]

I got your over all point. But I have a hard time conceding any season. Plus, don’t think it’s fair to the players. I think you’ve always got to put your best players on the floor. By the taking lumps logic, do you think JB should start over Wilderness? Or KJ over Phil?

JB does start over Phil.

Also, I agree you should usually put your best players on the floor. But in the case of Spears, our best player was making us a worse team and reinforcing the bad habits major is trying to weed out.

The best thing coach can do is show that he will not prefer one player over the well being, order and respect of the team.

Phil Jones just posted on FB that his Twitter was hacked, & he had to set up a new one.
Hey Shamari, why didn’t you tell Coach Major yours was hacked, & it wasn’t you complaining?

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:27, topic:24424”]Phil Jones just posted on FB that his Twitter was hacked, & he had to set up a new one.
Hey Shamari, why didn’t you tell Coach Major yours was hacked, & it wasn’t you complaining?[/quote]

Well, I’m guessing it’s kind of tough to make that argument, when your attitude in person and on the court agrees 100% with your Twitter account. Spears wasn’t suspended solely for Twitter comments, his attitude on the court was a big contributing factor.

Quite true.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:25, topic:24424”]JB does start over Phil.

Also, I agree you should usually put your best players on the floor. But in the case of Spears, our best player was making us a worse team and reinforcing the bad habits major is trying to weed out.[/quote]

I said JB over Anjuan. I assume when/if KJ is healthy(and Spears is still out), Phil will be the starter. Right now he has to come off of the bench because we’d have nobody to relieve Braswell.

Phil’s conditioning still seems to be poor. Perhaps it is best if he comes off of the bench.

[quote=“eason49, post:31, topic:24424”]Phil’s conditioning still seems to be poor. Perhaps it is best if he comes off of the bench.[/quote]you can play the same amount of minutes, not mater if you start or come off the bench.

I thought we were talking about trying to get Phil more minutes by starting him. shrug

Spears’ rebounding per game is 7th on the team. Only Sirin averages fewer rpg than Spears among scholarship players. Figuring on Sirin playing the same time (33 minutes per game) and we give up about 1/10 of a rebound per game.
Spears rebounding production has dropped to about half what it was last year. He has scored 1 ppg more this year with an additional 5 minutes playing time per game. 3 point shooting is about the only thing he has improved this year. Maybe the solution is to put Briscoe or Green under the basket to do the heavy work, and let him stay out behind the three point line.

Saw him today he wasn’t wearing Charlotte sweats like all the other players do.

#stalkerflow

[quote=“Hooner49, post:35, topic:24424”]Saw him today he wasn’t wearing Charlotte sweats like all the other players do.

#stalkerflow[/quote]
WHAT DID HE HAVE FOR LUNCH

Tuna fish on wheat, loaded fries (specifically asked for no jalapeño peppers) with ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together for dipping, a medium Cherry Coke and 2 scoops of chocolate ice cream with Snickers topping.

Ah, the “usual”.

I’m pretty sure it was 3 scoops, not 2.

That sounds delicious.