Will Shamari Spears return this season?

Not whether or not you think he SHOULD return, but rather WILL he return, yes or no?

Yes he will be back. Heā€™s too competitive and loves the game of basketball too much to just throw away his senior season. It may be a few games, but heā€™ll be back on the court.

The way the team has been supporting him on twitter says to me that the bond is still there and I donā€™t think he wants to let his friends downā€¦just having trouble adjusting to Major and his coaching style. I think he comes backā€¦that being said I think it might be a little while.

If there was a box for ā€œI hope not, but probably,ā€ I would check that. As is, though, I vote yes.

I would love to see him back on the court. If anything 17 points/game is nothing to sneeze at. We definitely could go places with Sherman.

I voted yes as well. But I donā€™t think it will be any time before the new year. I think if the coaching staff and Shamari can work out whatever differences they have, he will probably still have to complete some sort of regimen in order to redeem himself to the staff. If that is the case, he probably wont be back for a few games at least.

i ā€˜votedā€™ NO. but of course, i have NO IDEA!
if sharmari can wake himself up as a person, everybody could win. (i have a story of my own hereā€¦but i woke up.)
based on my experience, shamari, if youā€™re listeningā€¦ā€˜ainā€™t nothing gonna be given to you. you left that when you left home!ā€™

Check that box twice for me and you.

+1

I would love to see him back on the court. If anything 17 points/game is nothing to sneeze at. We definitely could go places with Sherman.[/quote]

I honestly think itā€™s the Deangelo Alexander syndrome. He can score, but he will take a lot of shots, and a lot of them will be outside the offense. His 17 pts a game gets in the way of other players who would average more with him out.

i hope not.

I tend to agree, with the one difference being Shamari wants to be the star but still wants to win (at least he wanted to win last year). I never thought Deangelo cared if the team won or not. You are correct about the 17 points per game. Other players will be scoring more points without Shamari in the lineup.

Hereā€™s an interesting thought. We have been averaging more rebounds per game since Shamariā€™s last suspension.

We need Spears, but not the Spears we got at the start of this season.

It is very clear our offense stalled out with him on the floor, mostly because our offense flows a lot better now that heā€™s gone. On the flip side of that, we have people that arenā€™t as capable shooting the ball. The best solution is that Spears does come back and that he plays within the system. That is the only way Major would let him back on the team.

I donā€™t know if Spears can do that. Heā€™s a proud guy. He is probably stubborn to a fault. Itā€™s a shame, because we could still salvage this season. Spears could really open up our offense and he could put up really great numbers. There have been opportunities created for guys way down our bench, that werenā€™t there before. Bras is getting touches he never got before. Spears could finally get the ball in a position to be truly effective and he would make us a lot better.

Ultimately, I donā€™t see Spears coming back, but I wish he could. With him back, coupled with Dew and KJ, we could compete in the A-10 this year. It is a down year and we would have the best front court in the conference. Dewhurst isnā€™t a PG, but he could play at the off guard spot enough to rest both our guards. I hope that the rest of the team can get through to Spears and we can still make this season worthwhile. I would love nothing more than for Spears to see how Majorā€™s system is working, but it needs him there to get the ball through the hoop.

[quote=ā€œPowerbait, post:13, topic:24424ā€]We need Spears, but not the Spears we got at the start of this season.

It is very clear our offense stalled out with him on the floor, mostly because our offense flows a lot better now that heā€™s gone. On the flip side of that, we have people that arenā€™t as capable shooting the ball. The best solution is that Spears does come back and that he plays within the system. That is the only way Major would let him back on the team.

I donā€™t know if Spears can do that. Heā€™s a proud guy. He is probably stubborn to a fault. Itā€™s a shame, because we could still salvage this season. Spears could really open up our offense and he could put up really great numbers. There have been opportunities created for guys way down our bench, that werenā€™t there before. Bras is getting touches he never got before. Spears could finally get the ball in a position to be truly effective and he would make us a lot better.

Ultimately, I donā€™t see Spears coming back, but I wish he could. With him back, coupled with Dew and KJ, we could compete in the A-10 this year. It is a down year and we would have the best front court in the conference. Dewhurst isnā€™t a PG, but he could play at the off guard spot enough to rest both our guards. I hope that the rest of the team can get through to Spears and we can still make this season worthwhile. I would love nothing more than for Spears to see how Majorā€™s system is working, but it needs him there to get the ball through the hoop.[/quote]

Excellent post

[quote=ā€œPowerbait, post:13, topic:24424ā€]We need Spears, but not the Spears we got at the start of this season.

Ultimately, I donā€™t see Spears coming back, but I wish he could. With him back, coupled with Dew and KJ, we could compete in the A-10 this year. It is a down year and we would have the best front court in the conference. Dewhurst isnā€™t a PG, but he could play at the off guard spot enough to rest both our guards. I hope that the rest of the team can get through to Spears and we can still make this season worthwhile. I would love nothing more than for Spears to see how Majorā€™s system is working, but it needs him there to get the ball through the hoop.[/quote]No one likes agreeing with you, but I agree with this post.

Ultimately, I donā€™t see Spears coming back, but I wish he could. With him back, coupled with Dew and KJ, we could compete in the A-10 this year. It is a down year and we would have the best front court in the conference. Dewhurst isnā€™t a PG, but he could play at the off guard spot enough to rest both our guards. I hope that the rest of the team can get through to Spears and we can still make this season worthwhile. I would love nothing more than for Spears to see how Majorā€™s system is working, but it needs him there to get the ball through the hoop.[/quote]

Agree with all of this.

If we got Spears back, sans the attitude, I think we would be able to do well the rest of the year. But I donā€™t see that happening.

Spears was rated by rivals the 16th best small forward in the nation. Hard to believe that some think we would better off without him. Whether you want him or not/like his attitude or not the reality is WE NEED HIM.

[quote=ā€œsokool, post:17, topic:24424ā€]Spears was rated by rivals the 16th best small forward in the nation. Hard to believe that some think we would better off without him. Whether you want him or not/like his attitude or not the reality is WE NEED HIM.[/quote]We need his scoring. We donā€™t needs his defense, rebounding ability, passing ability, turnovers, or attitude.

I donā€™t care what Spears was ranked. He lacks so many components of being a complete basketball player that he isnā€™t going to make or break this team.

We need him if heā€™s willing to play for Major. If not, he does nothing to help us long term. I think caring about the short term is important, but we need to rebuild this program. Iā€™m okay with taking lumps one year to be better in the future. We canā€™t reload, weā€™re not at that level. Maybe one day, but we need to build the foundation. Xavier wasnā€™t built overnight. Even Mempiss under Calipari took time.

I guess you never played an organized team sport.