Will the new C-USA teams succeed or fail?

http://www.sunherald.com/2013/07/02/4774526/will-the-new-c-usa-teams-succeed.html

[size=14px][font=arial]CHARLOTTE[/font][/size] [size=14px][font=arial]* Football - Charlotte won't join C-USA in football in 2015, and it should be a long haul from that point forward. I just don't see the 49ers pulling in much talent in the state of North Carolina with so many major programs competing for recruits there. Charlotte may be a consistent doormat in the new C-USA.[/font][/size] [size=14px][font=arial]* Basketball - Charlotte was a C-USA power when it left the league in 2005, and it should return to that status immediately. The 49ers are coming off a good final season in the A-10, earning an NIT bid. It's a program on the rise and will likely compete for a league title right away.[/font][/size] [size=14px][font=arial]* Baseball - The 49ers have been one of the better teams in the A-10 the last three seasons, but it will be a big step up in C-USA.[/font][/size] [size=14px][/size] [size=14px][font=arial]* Other - The men's soccer team is strong.[/font][/size]

[font=Verdana][/font]

[font=Verdana][/font]

The football comments hurt, but I don’t blame him. Until we see our product on the field, we have no way of knowing how we’ll fare.

So according to this guy FAU will be fine competing with Florida, Florida State, USF, UCF, and a every other fucking school in the country that considers Florida one of their top 3 recruited spots, but we can’t compete for recruits against a bunch of mediocre to bad football programs.

There is less football talent here for sure, but I don’t think we, or App for that matter, have any less of a chance of success in our new conferences than anyone else moving up.

I have faith in coach Lambert.

Me too. Football will be fine. I expect us to consistently stay in the top third of the league. Year one may be a bit rough, but after that I expect to be hanging with the top teams each year.

[quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:27917”]So according to this guy FAU will be fine competing with Florida, Florida State, USF, UCF, and a every other f***ing school in the country that considers Florida one of their top 3 recruited spots, but we can’t compete for recruits against a bunch of mediocre to bad football programs.

There is less football talent here for sure, but I don’t think we, or App for that matter, have any less of a chance of success in our new conferences than anyone else moving up.[/quote] This is why they play the games. I surely hope Lambert and staff read this prediction. BTW, how would that guy have a clue how well we will recruit?

[quote=“4ever niner, post:6, topic:27917”][quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:27917”]So according to this guy FAU will be fine competing with Florida, Florida State, USF, UCF, and a every other f***ing school in the country that considers Florida one of their top 3 recruited spots, but we can’t compete for recruits against a bunch of mediocre to bad football programs.

There is less football talent here for sure, but I don’t think we, or App for that matter, have any less of a chance of success in our new conferences than anyone else moving up.[/quote] This is why they play the games. I surely hope Lambert and staff read this prediction.[/quote]

If it takes a random article from a Mississippi newspaper to convince Lambert to do the best he can, I don’t think we have the right guy.

[quote=“Hooner49, post:7, topic:27917”][quote=“4ever niner, post:6, topic:27917”][quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:27917”]So according to this guy FAU will be fine competing with Florida, Florida State, USF, UCF, and a every other f***ing school in the country that considers Florida one of their top 3 recruited spots, but we can’t compete for recruits against a bunch of mediocre to bad football programs.

There is less football talent here for sure, but I don’t think we, or App for that matter, have any less of a chance of success in our new conferences than anyone else moving up.[/quote] This is why they play the games. I surely hope Lambert and staff read this prediction.[/quote]

If it takes a random article from a Mississippi newspaper to convince Lambert to do the best he can, I don’t think we have the right guy.[/quote] A) true b) Did I say he’d be motivated only by this prediction? c) No, I did not.

That statement doesn’t take in the account that we can recruit out of state. Other schools come here to recruit, we can can go elsewhere too.

First 2 years in CUSA we will probably get curb stomp most of the games but after that we will have a 4 years of FBS recruiting and should be up to speed.

Yeah- I think it will take a little longer than most are predicting. I would love for it not to, but I think by year 5 (3 of FBS) we should be a much more solid squad. Starting from scratch isn’t easy. It’s a major plus for App. They have some established pedigree (yes, FCS pedigree does matter and there are some VERY good FCS squads) and, IMO, can come in and compete pretty quickly for the Belt title. Competing for a title of any conference, even the Belt, makes life much easier on the recruiting trail, etc.

the good news is there is a talent rich state that takes 30 min from campus to cross into with only 2 FBS programs.

I think the article overlooked alot of the positives for Charlotte, but he did hit on what I think will be the biggest struggle for the program, and that is that North Carolina is a heavily fished recruting area. UNC, NC State, Wake, Duke, and ECU all have the pick of the litter in North Carolina (you also have South Carolina, Clemson, and Tennessee recruiting heavily here). Also even though we are in a higher conference, App will be there stealing a player occasionlly.

While I look to Old Dominion to see what Charlotte can accomplish, that is where they have a huge edge, for players wanting to play in VA they are the third choice.

With all that being said, if Lambert is the right guy, we can still do well (and there’s no reason for us to be perenially at the bottom of CUSA). Creating a recruiting pipeline though is going to be one of the biggest hurdles for him to overcome.

I think App and Ga So will really be up in the air. They do have the benefit of playing NMSU, Idaho, Ga State, and So Alabama who maybe the 4 worst teams in FBS this year. They could also go the way of WKU who had alot of FCS success but it has taken them 4 years to make noise in FBS.

ODU and UTSA are the two that really intrigue me. Both from fertile recruiting grounds and both playing some tough FBS teams this year.

As someone who has seen ODU play many times, they have a very good team (with my second-team, the W&M Tribe, being on the wrong end of things this past year). Their QB is one helluva signal caller. I think they could make noise and quickly. Of course, I think they’re a better team than App, but they are also coming into a more difficult conference. In the Belt, I think they’d cakewalk to a bowl. In CUSA, I think they’ll have some surprise lumps- but the talent is there, for sure.

Of course, they’ll succeed, o ye of little faith.

I think the University is a big draw for recruits in itself. North Carolina schools do not have the rich tradition as a Florida or Florida State or the tradition that NC Schools have in basketball. I think Conference power is the biggest challenge. Recruiting against the SEC, Big Ten, and Pac 10 will be nearly impossible, against the ACC we should win some, and the rest I think is fair game. Our University is very close if not already at Major University level with the facilities. Very few do it as good as we do. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

We’re a start-up football program. Everyone outside of our own fanbase thinks we’re going to stink for 100 years. I say screw them and when we play their teams we pound them in the dirt.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:1, topic:27917”]http://www.sunherald.com/2013/07/02/4774526/will-the-new-c-usa-teams-succeed.html

[size=14px][font=arial]CHARLOTTE[/font][/size] [size=14px][font=arial]* Football - Charlotte won't join C-USA in football in 2015, and it should be a long haul from that point forward. I just don't see the 49ers pulling in much talent in the state of North Carolina with so many major programs competing for recruits there. Charlotte may be a consistent doormat in the new C-USA.[/font][/size] [size=14px][font=arial]* Basketball - Charlotte was a C-USA power when it left the league in 2005, and it should return to that status immediately. The 49ers are coming off a good final season in the A-10, earning an NIT bid. It's a program on the rise and will likely compete for a league title right away.[/font][/size] [size=14px][font=arial]* Baseball - The 49ers have been one of the better teams in the A-10 the last three seasons, but it will be a big step up in C-USA.[/font][/size] [size=14px][/size] [size=14px][font=arial]* Other - The men's soccer team is strong.[/font][/size]

[font=Verdana][/font]

[font=Verdana][/font][/quote]

I love how in all these articles you read no one is enthused by their new conference mates. No one has realistic expectations it seems.