Winthrop Football

Currently conducting a feasibility study.

Southern Conference needs football teams. Wofford and Furman are lonely.

I’m assuming they would stay in the Big South for the time being since CCU just left. Good luck to them!

I just don’t see it being a winning proposition for Winthrop. I know many said the same thing about us, but we are way bigger. Winthrop is also predominately female.

Good luck to them though. If they move forward with it, they would be a decent buy game to have every year.

Their AD position is open and I know a Winthrop alum who has experience fighting for a football program from scratch…

20 years of experience fighting for football!

Omg please let this happen

If the students and alums want it then I am for it.

If it’s 50/50 I don’t think the school should go for it. Football is something you have to be passionate about, because unless you are a top tier program it is going to be a pretty substantial hole in the bucket and I’d hate to see a school draining money for something very few people cared about.

While we’re on the subject of Winthrop, I wouldn’t mind playing them again in basketball.

Omg please let this happen[/quote] Well, I wonder if she’s on someone’s kitchen floor list.

[quote=“Ben H, post:8, topic:30182”]If the students and alums want it then I am for it.

If it’s 50/50 I don’t think the school should go for it. Football is something you have to be passionate about, because unless you are a top tier program it is going to be a pretty substantial hole in the bucket and I’d hate to see a school draining money for something very few people cared about.

While we’re on the subject of Winthrop, I wouldn’t mind playing them again in basketball.
[/quote]Same. They should be on the schedule every year just like Davidson is…just maybe not on a H&H arrangement. I know CUSA isn’t exactly a power conference, but they’re still Big South. I wouldn’t be pissed if we did alternating home games with them though.

Any drivable game is a good thing.

[quote=“Niner National, post:10, topic:30182”][quote=“Ben H, post:8, topic:30182”]If the students and alums want it then I am for it.

[/quote]Same. They should be on the schedule every year just like Davidson is…just maybe not on a H&H arrangement. I know CUSA isn’t exactly a power conference, but they’re still Big South. I wouldn’t be pissed if we did alternating home games with them though.[/quote]

We could play for the Judy Rose trophy similar to the Hornet’s Nest trophy but a bronze pants suit.

[quote=“Niner National, post:10, topic:30182”][quote=“Ben H, post:8, topic:30182”]If the students and alums want it then I am for it.

[/quote]Same. They should be on the schedule every year just like Davidson is…just maybe not on a H&H arrangement. I know CUSA isn’t exactly a power conference, but they’re still Big South. I wouldn’t be pissed if we did alternating home games with them though.[/quote]

Is there a difference between H&H and alternating home games?

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:12, topic:30182”][quote=“Niner National, post:10, topic:30182”][quote=“Ben H, post:8, topic:30182”]If the students and alums want it then I am for it.

We could play for the Judy Rose trophy similar to the Hornet’s Nest trophy but a bronze pants suit.[/quote]

That’s not a bad idea, especially since she will probably be advising Winthrop on how to start football.

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:12, topic:30182”][quote=“Niner National, post:10, topic:30182”][quote=“Ben H, post:8, topic:30182”]If the students and alums want it then I am for it.

We could play for the Judy Rose trophy similar to the Hornet’s Nest trophy but a bronze pants suit.[/quote]

I legit LOL’d

[quote=“49r9r, post:14, topic:30182”][quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:12, topic:30182”][quote=“Niner National, post:10, topic:30182”][quote=“Ben H, post:8, topic:30182”]If the students and alums want it then I am for it.

That’s not a bad idea, especially since she will probably be advising Winthrop on how to start football.[/quote] Nah, I don’t want to wait 20 years to start the series.

This is great!!! This needs to happen :)) :)) :))

Latest…

Heraldonline.com: Winthrop drops idea of an Eagles football team

Winthrop.edu: President Dan Mahony And Board of Trustees Say No to Football

WU should fire their POS Chancellor!

Football isn’t right for every school. I haven’t studied this situation enough to weigh in on whether it would be good for Winthrop or not, but if they wanted football I do feel for them.