Winthrop

A few observations after going to the Winthrop-VMI game last night.

1. Their Student section and the visitors bench/visitors seats butt right up to each other. Never a good idea.
  2. The Winthrop student body looked very much like a Fast Food workers of America convention (no offense to any Niners working in that fine industry. Like Judge Smails said: “The world needs ditch diggers, Danny”). The 150 students in the students section were fairly loud, but I would expect nothing more from a group that had a collective IQ of what the NASDAQ composite closed at yesterday.
  3. Cheerleaders. Wow. Bulldog Diva eat your heart out. Let’s put it this way, God did not intend for spandex to be used this way.
  4. You would have to search long and hard to ever witness a basketball game that bad. Dreadful on every level imaginable.

And last but by no means least:

1. Why Winthrop will never be considered a real basketball program in my mind. The “Dance Team”. Every school has one, some with better results than others. It’s not the ladies on the team that make you want to cry. They have a guy on the team. I’m using this term VERY loosely. This guy was Lamar Latrell from revenge of the nerds. I guess this works well since the Cheerleaders are the Omega Mu’s

Hated it it!

And this is in “49er Sports Forum” for what reason?

Could one of the Mods please move this since Run has his friggen panties in a wad.

Thanks in advance.

Well, maybe if you just followed the rules this wouldn’t be an issue.

Ok?

Thanks.

[QUOTE=run49er;287798]And this is in “49er Sports Forum” for what reason?[/QUOTE]

VMI’s coach went to Charlotte, so maybe that counts.

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18862

They had a ‘dude’ on their dance team??? I would hate to see who got cut at dance team tryouts.

I saw the score, and was pretty surprised. From the article I read yesterday, I would have thought VMI would score a bunch more than 45 points. I thought they might score 100. Did they try to run and gun??

[QUOTE=s9er;287800]Could one of the Mods please move this since Run has his friggen panties in a wad.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

:lmao:

[QUOTE=s9er;287800]Could one of the Mods please move this since Run has his friggen panties in a wad.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Touche! :tongue:

[QUOTE=run49er;287805]Touche! :tongue:[/QUOTE]

I’m glad you have a sense of humor… :thumbsup:

I actually thought I had put it in the college sports section. Rather than admit my error I went for the smartass response.

And gotLutz. I read the rules, there is no mention of my post violating any site rules. http://www.ninernation.net/forum/announcement.php?f=39 I suggest you bone up on them yourself there Barney Fife. :tongue:

I'm glad you have a sense of humor.. :thumbsup:

I actually thought I had put it in the college sports section. Rather than admit my error I went for the smartass response.

And gotLutz. I read the rules, there is no mention of my post violating any site rules. http://www.ninernation.net/forum/announcement.php?f=39 I suggest you bone up on them yourself there Barney Fife. :tongue:

I think I was called that in third grade once. But never since then. Hmm…

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;287802]VMI’s coach went to Charlotte, so maybe that counts.

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18862

They had a ‘dude’ on their dance team??? I would hate to see who got cut at dance team tryouts.

I saw the score, and was pretty surprised. From the article I read yesterday, I would have thought VMI would score a bunch more than 45 points. I thought they might score 100. Did they try to run and gun??[/QUOTE]

I took a camera pic of the dance team, I will post it.

VMI’s best player was out, and they didn’t try to run, much to the staff’s irritation till the second half. And for the record I was there because of the Charlotte connections to the coaching staff.

As a side not I was unable to get radio for our game in there so I use 800-555-8355 (Tel Me) to get scores. It is a VRU system, but the only rub is Our name is about the only school under the sun no in there database. You will have to say the name of who ever we are playing to get the score. Irritating.

I have never been to a Winthrop hoops game. Rock Hill is about 10 miles to my south. I do want to go see the 7-8 guy for UNCA in Feb though.

S, I am surprised the cheerleaders were pigs. Everytime I am near that campus its pretty strong with talent. I will say that Winthrops campus rocks. It looks like Duke or Chapel Hill. Right in the middle of town.

[QUOTE=metro;287821]I have never been to a Winthrop hoops game. Rock Hill is about 10 miles to my south. I do want to go see the 7-8 guy for UNCA in Feb though.

S, I am surprised the cheerleaders were pigs. Everytime I am near that campus its pretty strong with talent. I will say that Winthrops campus rocks. It looks like Duke or Chapel Hill. Right in the middle of town.[/QUOTE]

It is a great looking campus. That fact that the Female/Male ratio is heavily skewed I’d have expected a stong squad as well.
They have a nice arena with one of the strangest quirks I’ve ever seen. Along the baseline where the wood for the floor ends there is a metal strip that “caps” the floor. It looks like a cheap strip that can be used to huld carpet down. It is dangerous, last year a VMI guy hit the floor and sliced his thumb wide open on it, I’m suprised they still have it on the floor.

[QUOTE=s9er;287797]And last but by no means least:

1. Why Winthrop will never be considered a real basketball program in my mind. The “Dance Team”. Every school has one, some with better results than others. It’s not the ladies on the team that make you want to cry. They have a guy on the team. I’m using this term VERY loosely. This guy was Lamar Latrell from revenge of the nerds. I guess this works well since the Cheerleaders are the Omega Mu’s

Hated it it![/QUOTE]

Get in line, BDD has a long waiting list!

So lots of hotties in the student body, but the people that go to games look odd. Seems like they’re’d be good odds to meet hot chicks if I hung out down there since I’d be the stud compared to the duds, & I’m just an average guy.

[QUOTE=s9er;287825]They have a nice arena[/QUOTE]

It smells like sweaty socks. Everytime I’ve ever been. I suppose that’s colorful to some people. No thanks.

I’ve been to there once for a Charlotte-West Virginia game during the Jeff Mullins era. Don’t have much recollection of what it looked like, etc., on the inside.

I know Marshall doesn’t miss it, especially with what he has now at Wichita State in facilities and fan support.

Let me clarify:

For the Big South, they have a nice arena.

And NA you are right, I did notice a locker room bouquet in the arena.

I took a camera pic of the dance team, I will post it.

a camera pic… as opposed to?

This message brought to you by the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

[QUOTE=thelew1014;287846]a camera pic… as opposed to?

This message brought to you by the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.[/QUOTE]

Good point, meant phone pic.

[QUOTE=thelew1014;287846]Dept. of Redundancy Dept.[/QUOTE]

I work there. I am an assistant vice president assistant.