Withers makes 2nd cut...

Aaron Brooks, Curtis Sumpter and, wouldn’t you know it, Rashard MCCants were all shown the door. Funny because McCants was obvisouly cut because of his attitude. He was the best offensive player there, but lets just say he wasn’t exactly a social butterfly.

Withers Makes Final 13

-Jason Jordan NinerReport.com Publisher

[i]Originally posted by Jordan_NinerReport[/i]@Jul 21 2004, 10:49 AM [b] Aaron Brooks, Curtis Sumpter and, wouldn't you know it, Rashard MCCants were all shown the door. Funny because McCants was obvisouly cut because of his attitude. He was the best offensive player there, but lets just say he wasn't exactly a social butterfly.

Withers Makes Final 13

-Jason Jordan NinerReport.com Publisher [/b]

That’s great news!!! Quite an accomplishment for Curtis. :thumbsup: Glad to see that poltics didn’t get in the way.

Is it bad to actually hope that Eric Williams stays sick? They really need him though. Their only other center is Sean “I’ll have everything on the menu” May.

WTG Curtis! This will be a great experience for him.

I gotta wonder how the pale blue fans are taking the McCants cut though? Possibly worse than the Memphis fans?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :toast: :toast: :headbang:

:toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Jul 21 2004, 11:32 AM [b] I gotta wonder how the pale blue fans are taking the McCants cut though? [/b]
I've been reading some of their feedback over at their Rivals board and they're not too surprised about it possibly being attitude related.
[i]Originally posted by jcl49er+Jul 21 2004, 12:42 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (jcl49er @ Jul 21 2004, 12:42 PM)

Here’s a photo of the invitees and coaches…

Withers is third from the left on the back row. Here’s the link:

2004 USA Basketball Men’s National Team Trials Roster

GO WITHERS! GO NINERS! GO USA!

This is quite impressive considering the talent that was invited. Lets pray he stays healthy because he could have a HUGE year.

From the Winston-Salem Journal:

[b](Wake Forest’s Eric) Williams participated in the first three practices, but as of yesterday afternoon had missed the last four. He and Padgett were the only two candidates listed solely as a center, although May and Withers were listed at both center and forward.

Sampson said that a strength of the team will be its versatility, mentioning that Morrison, Tucker, McCants, Villanueva, Withers and Sumpter are capable of playing multiple positions.[/b]

Link: Deacs’ Williams ailing at tryout camp

A toast to Withers. :toast:

The Hole fans I know don’t like McCants either.

Way to go, again he sounds like the kind of guy who excels in this environment, he seems to listen to coaching and he likes to go after rebounds !

The question is who are the starters on this team, what does the depth chart look like ?

Also, is there a TV schedule for these games ?

Per Andy Katz:

Tar Heels’ McCants cut from USA Basketball team
Wednesday, July 21: North Carolina guard Rashad McCants has added motivation to prove his cynics wrong after he was surprisingly cut from the USA Basketball World Championship for Young Men’s Qualifying team earlier in the day. McCants’ attitude reportedly went south since playing well over the weekend. McCants was considered a lock to make the 12-player team that will compete in Halifax, Nova Scotia, next week for one of three spots in the championship event in Argentina in 2005. The other cuts Wednesday were Villanova forward Curtis Sumpter and Oregon point guard Aaron Brooks. The last cut will come down to Eric Williams of Wake Forest and Louisville’s David Padgett. If Williams (stomach ailment) is healthy, then he’ll make the squad. The 11 locks so far are: PGs – Chris Paul (Wake Forest), Mustafa Shakur (Arizona); SG - Bracey Wright (Indiana), Justin Gray (Wake Forest), Shannon Brown (Michigan State); SF – Hassan Adams (Arizona), Adam Morrison (Gonzaga); PF – P.J. Tucker (Texas), Curtis Withers (Charlotte), Charlie Villanueva (Connecticut); Sean May (North Carolina). USA basketball officials were quick to point out the trials is for choosing a team, not the 12 most talented players.

Andy Katz considers Withers a lock for the team in today’s “Daily Word”:

[b]Tar Heels’ McCants cut from USA Basketball team

Wednesday, July 21: North Carolina guard Rashad McCants has added motivation to prove his cynics wrong after he was surprisingly cut from the USA Basketball World Championship for Young Men’s Qualifying team earlier in the day. McCants’ attitude reportedly went south since playing well over the weekend. McCants was considered a lock to make the 12-player team that will compete in Halifax, Nova Scotia, next week for one of three spots in the championship event in Argentina in 2005. The other cuts Wednesday were Villanova forward Curtis Sumpter and Oregon point guard Aaron Brooks. The last cut will come down to Eric Williams of Wake Forest and Louisville’s David Padgett. If Williams (stomach ailment) is healthy, then he’ll make the squad. The 11 locks so far are: PGs – Chris Paul (Wake Forest), Mustafa Shakur (Arizona); SG - Bracey Wright (Indiana), Justin Gray (Wake Forest), Shannon Brown (Michigan State); SF – Hassan Adams (Arizona), Adam Morrison (Gonzaga); PF – P.J. Tucker (Texas), Curtis Withers (Charlotte), Charlie Villanueva (Connecticut); Sean May (North Carolina). USA basketball officials were quick to point out the trials is for choosing a team, not the 12 most talented players.[/b]

Link: ESPN.com: The Daily Word from Andy Katz

[i]Originally posted by amnesiac[/i]@Jul 21 2004, 01:17 PM [b] Also, is there a TV schedule for these games ? [/b]
excellent question..

So does this same team go to Argintina in 2005 or does a new one?

This is awesome for Withers. He truly has turned in a corner from an attitude standpoint.

Withers = PIMP :smiley:

Curtis should star this season. And his ‘attitude’ is making some 9er fans who questioned his heart and hustle due to ‘not playing that hard at the charlotte sportscenter’ or ‘looking lazy in pre game layup drills’ look pretty silly. Good for him.