WNKS and "UNCC"

I don’t listen to much local radio but I do actually find the Ace & TJ show pretty amusing compared to the other garbage that’s on. Something I’ve noticed for awhile now is that when “Yankee Pete” does the news, including sports scores, he ALWAYS refers to us as “UNCC.” Just got on my nerves so I sent him an email, letting him know about the academic vs. athletic name situation and this was his reply back to me:

[b]Jason,

Thanks for the e-mail. “Too picky?” Yes, probably…but thank you for bringing it to my attention. I had no idea that it created such rage in 49ers fans.

Now, obviously, we don’t focus on sports (as you can probably gather since I do about 10 seconds of sports per hour on the show), but I had never heard of any kind of separation.

Any contact that I’ve had with the university, whether on the academic side or the athletic side, it’s never been brought up, it’s never been discussed and you’re the first person who’s ever mentioned it. Apparently, it wasn’t a well-publicized change, but there aren’t many things that UNCC does, academically or athletically that are well-publicized, at least to our radio station, even after repeated requests to be put on media lists.

I think you should take over publicity and press matters for them…you definitely get your point across!!!

Take care,

Pete[/b]

Only posting this because I thought the following was interesting:

“Apparently, it wasn’t a well-publicized change, but there aren’t many things that UNCC does, academically or athletically that are well-publicized, at least to our radio station, even after repeated requests to be put on media lists.”

To me, it’s just another example of our poor marketing and lack of effort to reach out to the community more than we do. Not trying to slam the people that handle all of this because I appreciate their work, but I do feel that more could be done.

Thats funny… I’ve noticed the same thing and have been meaning to send him an email about it… guess you beat me to the punch. Nice work. I have emailed him once before about something else and he replied back and seemed very nice.

Bob and Tom are better than Ace and TJ though. :wink:

And what are you doing listening to FM anyways? :smiley:

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 11:45 AM [b] And what are you doing listening to FM anyways? :D [/b]
Because satellite won't provide free online stream of their talk radio...music only (for now). :(

I go back and forth from Ace/Tj to The MSP but I need humor in the morning at work and I find nothing funny about Celania and those overused sound bytes.

Aug 23, 2000 New name, new logo

Wow, it’s been over 4 years. The announcement was definitely a big deal. It’s obvious they’re not that interested in the Sports program over there but I hope they are still getting Releases.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 02:16 PM [b] [url=http://charlotte49ers.collegesports.com/genrel/082300aaa.html]Aug 23, 2000 New name, new logo[/url]

Wow, it’s been over 4 years. The announcement was definitely a big deal. It’s obvious they’re not that interested in the Sports program over there but I hope they are still getting Releases. [/b]

good ol’ Lefty…

everything Niner is perfect and flawless, and the rest of the world is wrong and clueless when it comes to anything Niner related.

I like what JCL about our publicity and found the guy’s response interesting.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 11:41 AM [b] To me, it's just another example of our poor marketing and lack of effort to reach out to the community more than we do. [/b]
and who might be responsible for that? :unsure:
[i]Originally posted by metro[/i]@Dec 10 2004, 03:48 PM [b] good ol' Lefty.......

everything Niner is perfect and flawless, and the rest of the world is wrong and clueless when it comes to anything Niner related.

I like what JCL about our publicity and found the guy’s response interesting. [/b]

I thought you only posted in the smack forum. :o I never said anything was perfect. Like I’ve said before. We’re lacking in fan support already. No reason for our own fans to rip apart the program. If you have issues, sit down with the people over there and work it out.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Dec 10 2004, 04:04 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Dec 10 2004, 04:04 PM)

Until the name of the school is changed to Charlotte, this will always be a problem.