World Cup

Has anyone seen the CNNSI matchcast???

The breakdown the play by play…which is nothing new…but it gets interesting once someone scores a goal…heres an example…

“Philipp Lahm (GER) scores a goal; celebrates by running around. The score is now 1-0.”

CELEBRATES BY RUNNING AROUND??? WTF???

Are they seriously gonna tell us how each player celebrates? Come on SI!!!

Kinda surprised to see the game this tight, but Germany will win anyway.

You were right. 4-2 Germany wins.

Brazil coach after seeing the draw in December (and I’m paraphrasing):

[We will probably play either Italy or the Czech Republic after we get though our group.]

The US gets no respect.

[QUOTE=BobandEd49er;177040]Brazil coach after seeing the draw in December (and I’m paraphrasing):

[We will probably play either Italy or the Czech Republic after we get though our group.]

The US gets no respect.[/QUOTE]

I’d say kick his arrogant butt, but damn, they are good. They always are. :unhappy:

Wow…did anyone see Poland hit the goal post twice near the end of the game? Ecuador takes it, 2-0…could have been different if Poland wouldn’t have hit the post…that sucks…anyways. Interesting game.

Wow...did anyone see Poland hit the goal post twice near the end of the game? Ecuador takes it, 2-0....could have been different if Poland wouldn't have hit the post...that sucks...anyways. Interesting game.

I thought Poland was completely outplayed. Surprising to me, but regardless, I thought both games were exciting.

I thought Poland was completely outplayed. Surprising to me, but regardless, I thought both games were exciting.

Yeah, they were definitely outplayed…but it’s strange that after that, 2 post hits could have been goals and things could have been a lot different.

Big shock for me…and I would think anyone who follows soccer…

For a team who has only 1 world cup appearance before this year…they outplayed Poland…Agustín Delgado can flat out play.

They got drilled by Poland last year 3 to nothing.

June 10th schedule:

England v. Paraguay: 9:00 eastern
Trinidad & Tobago v. Sweden: 12:00 eastern
Argentina v. Ivory Coast: 3:00 eastern

[URL=http://soccernet.espn.go.com/section?id=worldcup&cc=5901]http://soccernet.espn.go.com/section?id=worldcup&cc=5901[/URL]

England was not supposed to win that game. Paraguay had SO many opportunities. I don’t look forward to seeing Beckham on the sportscenter highlight reel all day today. Ugh.

England was not supposed to win that game. Paraguay had SO many opportunities. I don't look forward to seeing Beckham on the sportscenter highlight reel all day today. Ugh.

That game sucked too. I dont like Paraguay at all now. Their players play dirty and ham it up way to much when they get hit. England played like straight poop.

This game going on now (T&T v. S) is pretty good. Lots more action, even if it is still nil - nil. I like T&T. They’ve got some good ball handlers. Sweden is kinda cool too but only because I like their jerseys.

T&T tied Sweden, that is pretty crazy. If Sweden loses to England there could be a surprise in that group.

T&T was awesome. To be able to tie Sweeden after they were a player down the whole 2nd half is remarkable for them. Sweeden really got frustrated, but T&T didn’t do anything extraordinary (OK except for the amazing goalkeeper!), but they played very smart and solid.

I will be rooting for the Ivory Coast in the next match because of a commercial where Bono says: [QUOTE]“After three years of civil war, feuding factions talked for the first time in years, and the president called a truce. Because the Ivory Coast qualified for the World Cup for the first time. Because, as everyone knows, a country united makes for better cheerleaders than a country divided.”
[/QUOTE]
I thought this was an interesting article on the Ivory Coast and other similar cases:
[URL=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/02/AR2006060201401.html]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/02/AR2006060201401.html[/URL]

Well they just got jobbed on a no-call on the other end following Argentina’s goal.

pretty good start of WC’06 so far. after watching every game and avoiding espn.com/cnnsi/foxsports…even ninernation.net to watch the games on dvr when i get home, i’ve got to say every game, sans eng v par, have been entertaining. eng v par was a boring game, full of nothing. if england continues to play like that, i don’t see them doing much. i still think sweden will do ok, as long as the get a win. they had their chances, but couldn’t finish. i can’t say any team, to me, has been overly impressive. maybe that’ll change on monday when the us beats the czech’s arses.:thumbsup:

I agree with everything you said Gee…best game to me was the Argentina game but I wish they would stop showing Maradona so much. I know he was great but…Trinidad game was good too.

Anyway, schedule for tomorrow:

Serbia & Montenegro v. Netherlands
Mexico v. Iran
Angola v. Portugal

England game was painful. No real possession. I want that 2 hours of my life back!

Argentina and IC was one of the fastest paced games I have ever seen. I am saving that game to watch again and again. IC was brilliant individually but Argentina won as a better team. I thought IC could have changed that game entirely with some routine finishing in the first half. Difference in game? Raquilme! Best player so far in the tourney.

notice so far the brazilians and the americans haven’t played yet;)

does anyone have a link to Sweeden’s Soccer message board? I assume that place is a meltdown.