World Cup

I can’t wait for this thing to start. Coach’s posts have gotten me all hyped up.

The few, the proud, the real futbol fans. :tongue:

....A team that can counter while playing low-pressure! Who does this the best? Italy

And coach, I agree with this. But looking at Italy, don’t you think they have a habit of, for emotions or some other reason, tightening up at the wrong times? And against Brazil, if it were to happen, emotions would be very high.

If the USA does not win, Italy is my hope to win the cup. But I’ve been watching them for the last 7 years or so consistently and it just seems they find a way to lose or tie at times when they should win.

What about teams like Japan or Australia? Or South Korea? Any miracles waiting to happen with these?

And for those too lazy, here is a link to all the World Cup info:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/section?id=worldcup&cc=5901

I am all fired up for this. Cant wait to buy a 30 pack on Monday…lol

BandE …

Funny you mention this issue with Italy. I almost said in my analysis "Italy can make championship match If and ONLY IF they can pull out an OT win and a PK win along the way. They simply will not score enough in the big matches to avoid this.

Who will surprise? IC could shock and I think Sweden could advance and catch someone after that.

Iran could get out of their bracket and but I do not think South Korea will. I am taking Switzerland instead.

very good picks coach. how is everything man?

Well preseason is only 2 months away which is exciting and WC 2006 will take up the next month, so all is good!

Just wish these 2 months could go faster!

yeah no joke. do you like the avatar? thats my scars from knee surgery!! hope the season goes well. nikki should have a break out year i think.

[QUOTE=Charlotte Soccer Coach;176884]I can do my best to fill you in.

First, Coach Arena is known for making large changes in style, shape, and players from game to game. He is probably known to do this the most coming into the first game. He loves the element of surprise. Basically, expect something fun and new in the first match.

Our group has been called the “group of death” and rightfully so.

Italy is always going to be special and is quietly poised for a run at the cup. Are they one of the top 3 teams in the world – no. But they are close.

Ghana is known for their great success at the youth world championships (rumored with over age players) and the time might come when this success translates to the senior level.

Czech. has had a tremendous few years and would have been one of the favorites but has hit an injury bug lately and has not been in form. They are the wildcard here. If they play up to their ability, bye bye USA. I believe the winner of this game advances along with Italy (unless Ghana can finally put it all together).

Regardless, the US would be overjoyed to be playing Ghana on the 22nd in our third game and still have a shot to advance. My concern is that this team will play better than 4 years ago yet not come out doing as well in placement/advancement.

The first thing I want to see is whether Johnson is starting up top. If he is in form then Arena can keep Donovan in the midfield. This is our best lineup and we really need Donovan in the midfield to control the game. The plus in the midfield is that Reyna finally appears healthy. So, if Donovan has to go up top we can handle it (I hope).

If you take just the top 3 players from each team on our group we are dead last in talent. Top 5, the same. Top 11, then it is getting closer. The great strength of this team is our depth which allows Arena to do his magic with changes and surprises. I think the key to this cup run are our “role players.” McBride, Gooch, Donovan, etc are going to be ready. If players such as Dempsey, Convey, O’Brien, Beasley and Boca can have great tourneys, then watch out world![/QUOTE]

Man, this guy seems to know a lot about soccer…Wonder why???

because he is a balla!!!

Just an update: T- 9 hours and counting till the World Cup, guys. 9 hours. Please have all pints of beer ready for consumption, all jerseys in their on position, all flags ready for waiving/wearing, and anything else you may need in the course of going COMPLETELY FU(KING NUTS!! Come on guys!! Its the WORLD CUP!! GET PUMPED!!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I will be rooting for:[list type=decimal]
[] USA
[
] England
[]Mexico
[
]Trinidad
[]Korea
[
]Argentina
[*]Ivory Coast[/LIST]Who I want to come out of each group (1st then 2nd):
A: Germany & [EDIT] Costa Rica
B: England & Trinidad
C: Argentina & Ivory Coast
D: Mexico & Iran
E: USA & Ghana
F: Japan & Australia
G: Korea & France
H: Spain & Saudi Arabia

1st match: Today at 11:55am on espn2.

[QUOTE=Realtime;176936]I am all fired up for this. Cant wait to buy a 30 pack on Monday…lol[/QUOTE]

Realtime, only problem is it looks like all World Cup games will start early. Time slots are 9:00, 12:00, 3:00 for the most part. The US plays Monday at noon. Noon’s not too early, though. Enjoy! I know I will. :toast: :thumbsup:

TV Schedule: http://www.soccertimes.com/worldcup/2006/tvsked.htm

Just an update: T- 9 hours and counting till the World Cup, guys. 9 hours. Please have all pints of beer ready for consumption, all jerseys in their on position, all flags ready for waiving/wearing, and anything else you may need in the course of going COMPLETELY FU(KING NUTS!! Come on guys!! Its the WORLD CUP!! GET PUMPED!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I will be rooting for:[list type=decimal]
[] USA
[
] England
[]Mexico
[
]Trinidad
[]Korea
[
]Argentina
[*]Ivory Coast[/LIST]Who I want to come out of each group (1st then 2nd):
A: Germany & Poland
B: England & Trinidad
C: Argentina & Ivory Coast
D: Mexico & Iran
E: USA & Ghana
F: Japan & Australia
G: Korea & France
H: Spain & Saudi Arabia

if you don’t think brasil isn’t coming out of the brackets you are very mistaken. They have the most powerful team yet again and they have two pele esk guys on there team again. Brasil is the leading candidate for the cup this year.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;176979]Realtime, only problem is it looks like all World Cup games will start early. Time slots are 9:00, 12:00, 3:00 for the most part. The US plays Monday at noon. Noon’s not too early, though. Enjoy! I know I will. :toast: :thumbsup:

TV Schedule: http://www.soccertimes.com/worldcup/2006/tvsked.htm[/QUOTE]

ESPN Classic is supposed to re-air each game later in the day. That is awesome!!

Do any of you all know if the Germany match is on radio or the internet somewhere??

2-1 early…

good first match for average Americans…high scoring and exciting…something dopes like Cowherd say the sport lacks

For those who like the odds, for the “Group of Death” teams winning the cup:

US: 35:1
Italy:8:1
Ghana:150:1
Czech: 22:1

All I have to say is: GO MEXICO! Destroy Iran!

if you don't think brasil isn't coming out of the brackets you are very mistaken. They have the most powerful team yet again and they have two pele esk guys on there team again. Brasil is the leading candidate for the cup this year.

You gotta read better buddy. Those teams were all teams that I “want.”

I’m looking forward to watching Brasil play. They will be sick.

Was that guy offsides on Costa Rica’s 2nd goal?

Kinda surprised to see the game this tight, but Germany will win anyway.