Worst Court Storm...Ever?

You all probably know that unc stormed the court after their win over #4 Duke saturday night. I got into a big argument with some friends who are not even unc fans on how they should not have stormed. I usually hate even talking about them but this got my blood boiling.

Reasons this was stupid:
Ranked 13
2 national championships in past 6 years
perennial top 25 team and top power program
should expect to beat hated rival duke (and everybody for that matter with their resources)
top 5 pick on team (pre-season all american)
were favored to win
makes them look like amateurs
…could go on

I would say this is the worst court storm in the history of college basketball. You would never see Duke storm. Act like you been there before, you have 5 national championships.

Court stormings in general are over played, but humorous to see they are no less (or possibly more) susceptible to morons.

“Guys! We’re about to win a big game! What should we do?”
“Let’s all run on the court and hug!”
“Yes! That means something! …And it’s not a pitiful cry for attention!”

I think anytime you beat a top 5 team (unless you too are a top 5 team), a court storm is acceptable, especially if it is against a rival.

I hate the Tarholes with a passion that burns as hot as the fires of Hell. But even that hatred doesn’t blind me to the fact that a team with their history, tradition and frequent and sustained success has any business storming the court when beating Duke. Especially when pretty much everyone said they would win. The line was even for crying out loud.

If it was a Doh type year, where they had only won 8 games or something, then I could see it. But the Tarholes are projected to be a 3 seed in the tourney, higher if they win they the ACC tournament. A team with that kind of success doesnt’ rush the court, no matter who they beat.

And then there is the rivalry factor. Do they realize how they have diminished their place in that rivalry by doing it. I could be wrong but I don’t think Duke has ever rushed after beating the Holes, even in down years. By them rushing after this win they have elevated Duke above themselves in the rivalry. They have essentially said beating Duke for them means more than Duke beating them.

There is a time and place for rushing the court. Personally I think rushing after winning a game most expect you to win is beyond stupid.

Worst.Court.Rush. Ever.

I hate the Tarholes with a passion that burns as hot as the fires of Hell. But even that hatred doesn’t blind me to the fact that a team with their history, tradition and frequent and sustained success has any business storming the court when beating Duke. Especially when pretty much everyone said they would win. The line was even for crying out loud.

If it was a Doh type year, where they had only won 8 games or something, then I could see it. But the Tarholes are projected to be a 3 seed in the tourney, higher if they win they the ACC tournament. A team with that kind of success doesnt’ rush the court, no matter who they beat.

And then there is the rivalry factor. Do they realize how they have diminished their place in that rivalry by doing it. I could be wrong but I don’t think Duke has ever rushed after beating the Holes, even in down years. By them rushing after this win they have elevated Duke above themselves in the rivalry. They have essentially said beating Duke for them means more than Duke beating them.

There is a time and place for rushing the court. Personally I think rushing after winning a game most expect you to win is beyond stupid.

Worst.Court.Rush. Ever.[/quote]

[golf clap]

obvious statement ahead… I think winning the ACC regualr season title had A LOT to do with them rushing. And clinching it against their bitter rival. Its nice to see the crowd show emotion than be the “sit on your hands” kinda crowd that their known for.

You won the National Championship two years ago, you don’t rush the court for anyone! Gay.

The Worst Court Storm Ever was in March 2005 in South Florida. You had to be there to see it.

eh - every student wants to do it at some point… won the ACC off of it if I remember correctly. I guess that + #4 win is reason enough considering they haven’t had the chance in a long time. Probably wont get a much better chance anytime soon. I’ll let it slide this time.

not to mention it seems like everytime we get the chance we flop right after - maybe its the curse of basketball court storms in the state of North Carolina. Now that I can support.

Agreed, unfortunately I was there to witness it. There were 12, maybe 13 students gathered at center court celebrating a victory over the Niners. I have a picture of it somewhere.

Agreed, unfortunately I was there to witness it. There were 12, maybe 13 students gathered at center court celebrating a victory over the Niners. I have a picture of it somewhere.[/quote]

Ahhh the good ol’ days when we were worth a good court storming, no matter how miniscule the crowd.

Agreed, unfortunately I was there to witness it. There were 12, maybe 13 students gathered at center court celebrating a victory over the Niners. I have a picture of it somewhere.[/quote]

What a terrible way to ruin Spring Break.

Worst.Court.Rush. Ever.[/quote]

:thumbs up:

I hate the Tarholes with a passion that burns as hot as the fires of Hell…[/quote]

MK, I had to steal your quote and throw it in my signature…

Since they won the ACC with the victory, it was their arch-rival, and they practically went worst-to-first this year, I’ll give them a pass. I was surprised to see it, though.

You’re that whipped huh? She looking over your shoulder as you typed that?

:stuck_out_tongue:

He’s a tarheel fan, remember? Do I really need to post the pics of him in Tarheel gear again?

[color=green]I did think it was somewhat odd that they rushed–but the UNC-Duke rivalry is the biggest in college basketball, it’s justified. They won the regular season championship, and beat a top 5 team.

Similarly, a lot of people said our win against Temple last year shouldn’t have involved rushing, but, face it, we were never good. In hindsight, I’m glad it happened.

I couldn’t give a flying f*** what Tarhole students choose to do after beating their rivals.

F***'em

[quote=“GreenWhite12, post:18, topic:25105”]I did think it was somewhat odd that they rushed–but the UNC-Duke rivalry is the biggest in college basketball, it’s justified. They won the regular season championship, and beat a top 5 team.[/quote]This logic doesn’t really hold up. You don’t just rush the court because you are both good and both hate each other. Even under the general feeling on when you rush, which I don’t hold, this doens’t fit. They were good this year and they’ve done this all before. It’s a silly time to rush.

Similarly, a lot of people said our win against Temple last year shouldn’t have involved rushing, but, face it, we were never good. In hindsight, I’m glad it happened.
To me it’s a pretty pitiful time to rush. Thought Xavier the year before was a dumb time to rush too.