Worst thing about the loss against NC State?

The fact that Lutz may now not get the job at Tennesseeā€¦we may be stuck with his ass for a while now. I was actually looking forward to someone else taking over the program JUST to see what could happen with a coach that could actually coach the Xs and Os.

After years of watching the same team take the court, we will NEVER be a team that will go very far in the tourney. Lutz has done a great job in recruiting and having the talent to get us to the tourney, but itā€™s time for a change to see if someone else out there can get us to the next level; otherwise, weā€™ll toil in this pergatory of 1st round losses and utter disappointment. Iā€™ve been saying this all year long and people have disagreed with my assessment and many peopleā€™s assessment of Lutzā€™s coaching style, but the facts speak volumes. If you want mediocrity in our program, then keep backing Lutz.

I may now be a major contributor to www.firelutz.com.

Itā€™s funny to hear you people whine like this. Youā€™ve got a great coach, youā€™re not going to get a much better one. Iā€™d say if you lose Lutz and move to the A-10 in the same year, the program is screwed.

Greg Doyle calls Lutz the worst coaching job of the tourney so farā€¦

LinK:http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8308065

[i]Originally posted by ColoradoWolf[/i]@Mar 19 2005, 06:09 PM [b] Greg Doyle calls Lutz the worst coaching job of the tourney so far...

LinK:http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8308065 [/b]

he must read this board

Link

after reading that and basically agreeing with everything doyle says, I worry that if lutz stays recruiting may suffer. When guys like Withers were committing, they were calling the tourney, the ā€˜lutz invitationalā€™ā€¦things sure have changed.

Very harsh but deservingly so.

ouch!
was he really coaching withers to stay outside i heard it was withers trying to impress the scouts

Ouch, indeed.

Well, we always want more press, and there it is.

I wonder what ever happened to that 1st year coach that had an upstart team run through the CUSA tourney and get a 5 seed? That team was great at fundamentals, knowing how to play the game, and DEFENSE. I know we had players with a lot of heart that season, but still alot of the credit has to go back to Lutz. I just wonder if he can ever get his game coaching back? Or how he lost it in the first place?

Wow, that is a brutal write-up, however it is also quite true.

[b]Maybe the 49ers should have started losing sooner and slipped all the way to a No. 14 seed. They might have faced Kansas, the only other tournament team drawing up plays in crayon.[/b]

This closing quote might have been a bit excessive but probably deserved.

That was a nasty quoteā€¦

Crayons?

Still donā€™t understand going to the man to manā€¦

maybe lutz will see it and teach two or three defensive sets and stay with them.
Jack of all trades, master of none

[b]Charlotte's Curtis Withers didn't become the superstar he is until late January, after I had quizzed Lutz following the 49ers' Jan. 19 loss at Cincinnati. See, for two months Lutz's strategy had been to take the 6-foot-8, 235-pound Withers -- his best low-post player -- and station him 30 feet from the basket. Withers was out there making like Tracy McGrady, minus the handle and jumper.

ā€œMaybe,ā€ Lutz told me after the game, ā€œwe should look into doing some different things to get him going.ā€ [/b]

These kind of comments from Lutz tick me worse tthan pure winning or losing. Iā€™ve never coached people in basketball any older than 6 years old and I figured that out the 1st week of December.

Itā€™s the day after, so I guess I should be able to move on and I willā€¦a little bit.

There is no (logical) reason to think Lutz will be coaching anywhere but at Charlotte next season. Given this season ending 4 game losing streak, Lutz will look pretty foolish talking about the need for people to buy tickets or telling us heā€™d like to play .

With some extra time on his hands, maybe he find a new approach to coaching defense and realize that the 3 point shot is not the only way to score on offense.

Iā€™ve calmed down from yesterday and am trying to move on to next year. However, if I see the same offensive & defensive principles attempted by the 05-06 team, I will ask for a refund on my season tickets, as well as cancel any future renewals.

I know this doesnā€™t sound very positive and may very well be pessimistic. But a wise man once told me that a pessimist is ā€œjust an optimist with experienceā€.

[i]Originally posted by 49erblh[/i]@Mar 19 2005, 01:42 AM [b] I've been saying this all year long and people have disagreed with my assessment and many people's assessment of Lutz's coaching style, but the facts speak volumes. If you want mediocrity in our program, then keep backing Lutz.

I may now be a major contributor to www.firelutz.com. [/b]

Again, I donā€™t necessarily think one extreme or the other about coach. But everytime I see a post like this it makes me laugh. Someone please give us an answer as to which coach we need for this program. Please enlighten us all and address these issuesā€¦

1- Name the coach
2- What has he done (at his current school) to make you think he can succede at a Charlotte program with no football AND in the heart of ACC country?
3- Can we afford this person?
4- If the answer to #3 is yes, then how long will he stay here if heā€™s successful (and lured away by larger programs)?

Lutz may be the ONLY coach that can win & recruit here and be willing to hang around to build a program for the money he gets.

Again. Iā€™m not saying heā€™s the greatest coach in the worldā€¦but he may be the best option we can EVER hope to have. If Iā€™m wrong, please tell me the answer by addressing the 4 issues aboveā€¦I know a lot of us are interested to know the answer.

P.S. If you CAN find the right coach for this program that passes all 4 issues, you may need to be a Coach Finding Consultantā€¦you would make Millions in bird dog fees by solving this problem for dozens of programs each year.

I am not for firing lutz, but if we did

1.Greg Marshall

2.Gregg Marshall Achievements In Five Years At Winthrop

• Led Winthrop To First Big South Conference Regular Season Championship in 1999
  • Led Winthrop To First NCAA Tournament Appearance in 1999
  • Led Winthrop To First back-to-back Big South Conference Tournament Titles In School History in 1999 and 2000.
  • Led Winthrop To First Back-To-Back NCAA Appearances In Big South Conference History in 1999 and 2000
  • Led Winthrop To First Back-To-Back 20-Win Seasons Since School Became A NCAA Div. I Member in 1987
  • Led Winthrop To A No. 14 Seed, Highest-Ever For A Big South Conference School In NCAA Tournament in 2000
  • Captured First Big South Conference Coach of the Year Honor in 1999
  • Led Winthrop To First 3-Peat in Big South Conference History with a third championship in 2001.
  • Led Winthrop to a 4th straight Big South title in 2002
  • Led Winthrop to a third 20-win season and the regular season Big South Conference championship in 2003
  • Was voted Big South Conference Coach of the Year in 1999 and 2003
  1. I sure hope so

2. nobody knows that answer

[i]Originally posted by finalfourtyniners[/i]@Mar 19 2005, 10:25 PM [b] I am not for firing lutz, but if we did

1.Greg Marshall

• Led Winthrop To First Big South Conference Regular Season Championship in 1999
  • Led Winthrop To First back-to-back Big South Conference Tournament Titles In School History in 1999 and 2000.
  • Led Winthrop To First Back-To-Back NCAA Appearances In Big South Conference History in 1999 and 2000
  • Led Winthrop To First Back-To-Back 20-Win Seasons Since School Became A NCAA Div. I Member in 1987
  • Led Winthrop To A No. 14 Seed, Highest-Ever For A Big South Conference School In NCAA Tournament in 2000
  • Led Winthrop To First 3-Peat in Big South Conference History with a third championship in 2001.
  • Led Winthrop to a third 20-win season and the regular season Big South Conference championship in 2003
  1. I sure hope so

2. nobody knows that answer [/b]

There are ALOT of answers for #1 & #2ā€¦itā€™s the #3 & #4 issues that make our situation difficult.

I firmly believe that only a tru NINER (former player/grad) would show us the loyalty that would dismiss issues #3 & #4ā€¦and thatā€™s what Bobby is.

[i]Originally posted by KTown49er+Mar 19 2005, 10:29 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (KTown49er @ Mar 19 2005, 10:29 PM)
[i]Originally posted by finalfourtyniners[/i]@Mar 19 2005, 10:25 PM [b] I am not for firing lutz, but if we did

1.Greg Marshall

1. I sure hope so

2. nobody knows that answer [/b]

I agree with all this but would addā€¦

1. Who really cares? Coaches come and go everywhere and no school is immune. If Marshall could come take us to a final four in 3 years then leave, then we are better off for it and we will replace him with another excellent coach.

Mullins rebuilt us, Watkins continued to grow us and Bobby had continued that development. Our next coach will carry on as well. Itā€™s not the end of the world to lose a coach, especially if he has made the program better. It just makes it that more attractive to other good coaches. Life goes on.

"Last month, Kansas was a Rolls Royce. Today, Kansas is a three-wheeled skateboard. "

Great line