Would Huggins have been dismissed

I know the Huggins situation may be getting a little old, but it’s the off-season and the only other topics we have to discuss are the press, Niner football, and HP’s kid partying in college.

This was discussed when Knight got the ax, but I haven’t heard it mentioned with Huggins. What if Huggins had won a national title and was a regular in the Final 4? Would he still be coaching Cincy?

I think the prez would have wanted to but would have had too much resistance. Huggins would have been on double secret probation, like in Animal House.

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Aug 25 2005, 11:00 PM [b] I know the Huggins situation may be getting a little old, but it's the off-season and the only other topics we have to discuss are the press, Niner football, and HP's kid partying in college.

This was discussed when Knight got the ax, but I haven’t heard it mentioned with Huggins. What if Huggins had won a national title and was a regular in the Final 4? Would he still be coaching Cincy?

I think the prez would have wanted to but would have had too much resistance. Huggins would have been on double secret probation, like in Animal House. [/b]

I think it would have had to been tremendous recent success for them to have been fearful of firing him. Knight was fired from IU with 3 national titles under his belt, though he hadn’t had much recent postseason success in his last few years at IU. Different circumstances for their dismissals, I know, but only so much good outweighs all of the bad. The scrutiny just would have been much more severe from everyone had Cincy been to Final 4 in, say, the last 3-5 years. To me, it still would not diminish all of the negatives that led to his dismissal.

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Aug 25 2005, 11:30 PM [b] Knight was fired from IU with 3 national titles under his belt, though he hadn't had much recent postseason success in his last few years at IU. [/b]
X, you made some good points, but I also believe that Knight would have stayed at IU if he had continued being as successful on the court as he had been at one time.